What's new

What mechanics would you want in the next MK?

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
i want an MK9 MKX love child. Give me MK9 with a run button, and I'm fooqin good. Additional elements which can be added are counter hit system, push block (would cost hearty resources), return of NJP in combos, Fatal blows need to FOAD or be super megative on block. There should also consists of layers to em ala critical arts

I'm drunk, discuss

ReD WolF

Lord of the Drip
If we are talking foundations to build off of, I'd say MK9 with perhaps a hint of MKX. I'd like to see complete, well designed characters with distinct archetypes as well as defensive and offensive options in terms of mechanics.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
Pretty much just MK9 but with Block Breakers & no invincible wakeups.

Counter hits. Moving enhance to flip stance so we can shimmy into block in neutral and throw out buttons without fear of wrongly doing an enhanced move. E.g I want to shimmy (back, forward) in neutral and do mileena’s 1,2. I can use block after forward so the 1, 2 comes out and not f1,2 but since block is also enhance I can end up getting enhanced sai toss

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
What would be refreshing would be and old skool vanilla fighing game No gimmicks. No comback mechanics, just fighter against fighter.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
MK1 moving before round start
MK1 block safety on everything
MK9 P1 advantage
MK9 meterburn glitch
MKX run cancel reset infinites
MKX armored launchers
MK11 fatal blow w/ pre-patch fast startup armor
MK11 breakaway

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
The return of cancel pressure characters.

MK9 Kabal, MK9 Skarlet, MKX Kang, MKX Raiden. Ye fooq up a cancel GGs. You put in the time to execute until your fingers bleed, and rewards are reaped.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I like Kameos, keep them, you can always have fan favorites with Kameos, but for the love of god give them FULL movesets!

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
1- Take MK9 and ditch the guest characters with licensing issues.
2- Add the community patch that NRS devs said was impossible to make.
3- Add modern connectivity features and do literally nothing else.
4- Release the game as a "komplete" (no DLC) edition for $40.

I'm not buying their next game unless this is their gameplan, and I know that hell would freeze over before NRS did this.

The more interesting question is, "What mechanics will NRS shoehorn into the next game?"

I know this is basically impossible, but I would love to see MK move away from dial-a-kombo. Part of me wonders if that's a big aspect of why people get bored of modern MK games so quickly. Even with kameos and the relative freedom you get in MK1 compared to MK11, there's still just an element of following a flowchart that's hard to get away from. It also makes it difficult for newcomers because they just want to button mash and have cool stuff happen, but most of the time in MK that results in awkward flailing.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.

..... if this subject come up already with MK1 not having even 1 year of existence, means the game is in serious trouble already, lol , haha ! :p :laughing:

anyway, for the next game , my 2 cents :

• Get rid of kameo system; let the game be single fighter , or , implement a full decent tag mode, not this half ass bs we have in MK1, I thought would be cool at first, but now, is fucking annoying mechanic indeed
  • No fucking variations; that must stay dead , so, don't bring that shit ever again to a MK game
  • keep the combo breaker system; but would be cool with a separate bar for this
  • no run button; but the dash cancel mechanic must stay
  • push block mechanic

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Stupid jokes aside, I do think breaker needs to be in every MK game. It lets the designers go ham on powerful juggle options for the cast without hampering their damage output. Wanna stay safe? Mind your meter then.

I also think NRS should experiment with meter-based push block. MK as a series is generally high octane, pressure-happy insanity. Defensive options that help complement that would be better than things like armored launchers, shitty armored moves that are more death on block than the pressure you tried to armor out of, or a laundry list of invulnerable wakeup options.

Defensive options should always dictate the power level of offensive options in a fighting game because if defense is objectively better than offense 9/10 times, then going on the offense is too risky to bother. Designing powerful defense then tuning offense around that helps make a better core gameplay loop base. Individual character interactions with those systems should follow suit.

Also? Hot take: separating offense and defense meter bars in MK11 was absolutely a fantastic design decision imo. It just wasn't handled well for balance. WAY more balancing levers to finely tune instead of one meter bar being everything: damage, launching, armor, and breaking. Hate they regressed on this instead of trying to dig in deeper.

LEGEND

YES!
counter hit system is a must. More needs to be done to increase the skill ceiling.

Also? Hot take: separating offense and defense meter bars in MK11 was absolutely a fantastic design decision imo. It just wasn't handled well for balance. WAY more balancing levers to finely tune instead of one meter bar being everything: damage, launching, armor, and breaking. Hate they regressed on this instead of trying to dig in deeper.
I didn't really have a problem with them separating offense and defense meters. Cooldowns just don't work in fighting games imo.

I'm totally ok with meter and mechanic changes from game to game. But I think the core gameplay should be 1v1 always. And characters should be complete in their design, not locked behind a variation or kameo. This hasn't been the case in over a decade. . .