What's new

What Makes A Character Viable?

MaceWind

Crazy 88
I believe there is a simple method for determining a characters value. Please do not consider this an attempt for a tier-list but rather a way to identify good character traits. This is in no particular order and very incomplete. The goal is to come up with a full list and identify how many of these qualities does a single character possess. The more slots filled, the more likely that character is viable. Please add some of your own traits you look for in MKX characters that would fit in them. I'll tally everything up and see what the results look like.

1) Mixups: Do they have the ability to perform 50/50's thus giving at least the chance of guessing right. Do those 50/50 strings lead to juggles or do you have to cancel into specials?

See: Kung Jin

2) Fast Specials: Can your special move punish in a 6-9 frame window?

See Kung Lao

3) Launching Specials: Does your special provide for a combo opportunity or does it only knockdown.

See Kung Lao

4) Fast Normals: Again, can you punish in a 6-9 frame window?

See Cassie Cage

5) Safe Normals: Can you abuse block strings with impunity?

See Kung Jin

6) Safe Specials: For obvious reasons.

See Kung Jin

7) Advantage Specials: Can leave yourself with a frame advantage locking your opponent for another string of blocking?

See Quan Chi

8) Large Combos: Can you touch your opponent and take large amounts of life away from him?
See ???

9) Resets:

See ???

10) Shenanigans: Does your character have, block infinates or 100% corner combos?

See Liu Kang

This is not complete and I don't know enough about the game to add more character names to each category but you guys get the point.

EDIT: This is copy/pasta so excuse the formatting.

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
Long combos is obv raiden, Jwong was tearing up all sorts of asses in NWM.

1) 50/50's
2) How easy it is for them to set up 50/50's
3) How much damage they can get off 50/50's
4) How little they have of all the other confusing bs that distracts you from dose 50/50's
:coffee:

abusable wakeup move that lead to a 50/50 or 40 percent
armor breakability
great reach on normals, especially if they come out quickly.
an instant neutral jump punch thats hard to punish and leads to 40%/a 50/50
having both a launching low and high starter string.

You pretty much covered it in the OP imo. restands, hit advantage, safe strings, safe specials, good range, mixups, 50/50s, high damage output, low meter dependency, meter building ability, block string pressure, multiple armored reversals, fast start upon normals and specials, quick recovery on normals and specials, multiple situationally usable strings., and in this game it appears option selects.

The best characters have more of the things mentioned than others.

Big combo damage examples would be Raiden, Kotal Kahn, Liu Kang, Kung Jin

Resets (should note re-stands specifically) is obviously Quan Chi

Liu Kang has safe wakeup specials as well (Dragon's Roar, Double Dragon Flying Kick, Bicycle Kick MB)

Potential addition, long-range normals (Kotal Kahn, D'Vorah, Kung Jin)

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I believe there is a simple method for determining a characters value. Please do not consider this an attempt for a tier-list but rather a way to identify good character traits. This is in no particular order and very incomplete. The goal is to come up with a full list and identify how many of these qualities does a single character possess. The more slots filled, the more likely that character is viable. Please add some of your own traits you look for in MKX characters that would fit in them. I'll tally everything up and see what the results look like.

1) Mixups: Do they have the ability to perform 50/50's thus giving at least the chance of guessing right. Do those 50/50 strings lead to juggles or do you have to cancel into specials?

See: Kung Jin

2) Fast Specials: Can your special move punish in a 6-9 frame window?

See Kung Lao

3) Launching Specials: Does your special provide for a combo opportunity or does it only knockdown.

See Kung Lao

4) Fast Normals: Again, can you punish in a 6-9 frame window?

See Cassie Cage

5) Safe Normals: Can you abuse block strings with impunity?

See Kung Jin

6) Safe Specials: For obvious reasons.

See Kung Jin

7) Advantage Specials: Can leave yourself with a frame advantage locking your opponent for another string of blocking?

See Quan Chi

8) Large Combos: Can you touch your opponent and take large amounts of life away from him?
See ???

9) Resets:

See ???

10) Shenanigans: Does your character have, block infinates or 100% corner combos?

See Liu Kang

This is not complete and I don't know enough about the game to add more character names to each category but you guys get the point.

EDIT: This is copy/pasta so excuse the formatting.
Good post
I look forward to the list being completed w those credentials

Not sure if this qualifies, but I'd add how easy it is to perform well with xxx character online. Due to the poor netcode some characters are harder to do well with than others.