What's new

What is your opinion on Mortal Kombat bashing?

Seriously, I can't stand it. Those bastards on the fighting game boards don't even give MK a chance. They think that it's all about blood and fatalities. MK and DoA gets bashed because of the gimmics and SSB and anime fighters get bashed because they're not traditional fighters. However, if one of them could actually spend time with the games (the 2D ones that is) then they would relize that they have some depth. UMK3 is easily one of the best fighting games I've ever played, but it gets overlooked too much because of the other MK games not being so good. MK2 is alright for casual play, MK3 and MKT is good for casual play. MKDA isn't so bad either. I think it's either the gimmics or the 3D MK's that give MK a bad name. I wisg people can give those games a chance.

This should prolly go in the General Discussion board, but I agree. I was actually gonna make a topic like this one. I'm an MK OG and I remember all the crap the SF players used to give me for being an MK kid. Now I harbor a certain bitterness towards SF because of that fact. Tekken too. But I just plain hate Tekken. :p

I think that it is people judging what they haven't actually experienced. Too many people fail to see MK's (especially UMK3) depth. Most people say MK is nothing compared to street fighter which isn't true becuase first of all, it's an opinion, nothing more. Secondly, though they are both 2d fighters, their whole system is entirely different (which is apparent if you play me in UMK3 and then watch me jump around stupidly in SF2 trying to fight). Mk and SF's community's will always argue over which is better, but no one will ever win the argument. I probably enjoy MK because I played it a lot with my older brother. Maybe I like it's combo system, who knows? It is just my preference to play MK over SF.

Moving to myths and fanlore.

Compared to other fighting games MK almost is a joke. Midway got really lucky with UMK3. I mean run jabs? That's the biggest part of the game and I promise you no one was even thinking of using them, or even how to.

Everyone has a favorite and bashes the other... no biggie. 2-d fighters bash 3-d fighters and vice versa. I personally like SF series, but the MvC series blows ass imo. And I HATE all 3-d fighters, except some Virtua Fighter 2... and maybe a little soul caliber. Tekken is freakin trash imo.

Its a matter of opinion, anyone who says mortal kombat or any other quality fighter is trash is just being ignorant and is not opening up to other peoples thoughts and opinions.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
i really don't care if people bash MK in general, but when people apply their experience with other MK games and associate it with UMK3 it angers me. I took the time to completely and totally learn the SF series, I know which games are good and which aren't, but they don't do that for MK.

There's also the internal struggle with those who think that UMK3 is a terrible game because of the Fatalities. That angers me as well, because they think it actually makes a difference in how good the game is.

Other than that, MK sucks.

dreemernj

Ambassador
I get annoyed when the bashing is backed up with things that are untrue. Someone says something, its completely offbase, others read it and believe it, and that's just unfortunate.

I also get a bit ticked when people are simply closed minded. I've given every fighting game I have had access to a chance. I've played all the SFs a bunch, the marvel games, SNK games, tekken, soul, VF, GG, EFZ, whatever. I can usually find some redeeming quality in them that helps me understand why people are fans. But then I see someone say UMK3 has to be bad because it has a block button and a run button, and those are things that you are supposed to do with the joystick. Because apparently there was a decision made for there to be 1 way to do it, and only that way can be correct, because that's what a portion of the fighting game community is accustomed to.

And I have to say, the UMK3 bashing is really kicking in with MK2 coming out for PS3. I can't stand when people invent things to say about the games out of a need to justify what they like. If you enjoy playing MK2 more than UMK3, go for it. But don't start making up stuff about MK2 being more balanced because Sheeva has overpowered hits O.O and stupid stuff like that.

In the end, there are a lot of people that know almost nothing about fighting games, but love MK, and they bring down the wrath of all serious fighting game fans upon the series. The series doesn't help since its almost all got trash gameplay. And so MK will forever be a joke, and it will continue to get bashed. Such is life. I'm gonna go play UMK3 now :-D

I like UMK3, it's fast, easy to pickup(after a while) and I just don't get tired of it. One major thing that I love about MK is the block button.