What's new

What is your favorite Book/Book Series?

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Im looking to compile more and more stuff to read so i want to get some ideas from people around here.

So what is the best book/book series that youve read?

My favorite so far were the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini and the Pendragon series by DJ MacHale. Both are pretty long series but I have read through most of the books more than once cause of how much i like them.

Im currently in possession of the Game of Thrones books but i just cant really get into them at the moment cause of the show and im just too stubborn to sit down and read them.

Any ideas/suggestions are appreciated and yes i know in advance, reading is dumb and for nerds blah blah blah, thanks and go away.

Crathen

Death is my business
Many beat generation books , favourites honestly goes to The Naked Lunch by Burroughs and Kerouac On the road / Mexico City blues but those are more of an artistic writing than narration books like most fantasy ones.

If you're into fantasy you should read Elric of Melnibone series by Michael Moorcock , litterally murders Lord of the ring and the Chronicles of fire and ice ( Game of thrones ) , no doubt the best fantasy books ever written.

knight x1868

Blue Lantern Corps
Im looking to compile more and more stuff to read so i want to get some ideas from people around here.

So what is the best book/book series that youve read?

My favorite so far were the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini and the Pendragon series by DJ MacHale. Both are pretty long series but I have read through most of the books more than once cause of how much i like them.

Im currently in possession of the Game of Thrones books but i just cant really get into them at the moment cause of the show and im just too stubborn to sit down and read them.

Any ideas/suggestions are appreciated and yes i know in advance, reading is dumb and for nerds blah blah blah, thanks and go away.
If you actually sit down and read the books, you'll like them better than the show.

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
House of Leaves is one of my favorite book, and the Doom series (Yes like the videogames) are my favorite. I really suggest everyone read them.

cpmd4

Slaughter is the Best Medicine
Game of Thrones, at the moment. I'm sure this will change eventually, but it's soooo good.

They are different enough from the show (after book 1) that you can read/watch them and enjoy them both. Books are better, but the show has boobs. Win/win.

McNasty

Moist.
If you can tolerate his style of writting hunter s thompson has some awesome reads from fear and loathing to hells angels, oh and the rum diaries is a much better book then the movie.

LesMore

Top 8 Injustice Frosty Faustings VII
MY FAVORITE BOOKS:
You Should Read These:

Gravitys Rainbow, by Thomas Pynchon

Blood Meridian, by Cormac McCarthy

2666, by Roberto Bolano

also worth mentioning are: Glamorama, by Brett Easton Ellis, James Joyces books, V, by Pynchon, Homozapians by Victor Pelevin, The Demons by Dosteyevsky.... I could keep going and going...

LesMore

House of Leaves is one of my favorite book, and the Doom series (Yes like the videogames) are my favorite. I really suggest everyone read them.
Danielewski really wrote a masterpiece with this one.... Have you ever read about the codes hidden in the book... like the easter egg on the last page....

LesMore

I almost picked that up the other day in a used book store. Will definitely give it a look.
It's cool and probably one of his more coherent pieces of work... did you know Dick was afflicted with bibliophelia and wrote an 8000 page book called the Exegesis...

knight x1868

Blue Lantern Corps
It's cool and probably one of his more coherent pieces of work... did you know Dick was afflicted with bibliophelia and wrote an 8000 page book called the Exegesis...
I definitely believe it. You can see a lot of different writers in his works.
Shame he died so young. Still contributed a lot to the science fiction world.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
World war Z was pretty good

And anything by seth grahame-smith(Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, Unholy Night)

Basically I like parody stuff that takes itself seriously.

Flagg

Noob
The Dark Tower by Stephen King is epic in every way imaginable, but a lot of people struggle with the first book, which is a shame as the series really takes off from book 2 onwards.

Cormac McCarthy doesn't write series, but his books are dark and thought provoking, The Road and No Country For Old Men in particular stand out.

The Eisenhorn trilogy is great as is the Ciaphus Cain novels. Set in the Warhammer 40K universe. I read a massive array of genres and for futuristic war, these are very good, as are the Gaunts Ghosts novels.

Currently reading the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn which really kicks ass, if you're into political thrillers. If you like stuff like Bourne, Taken, etc, these books are for you.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Nothing beats The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind... not GoT, WoT, LotR, or anything else.

I suggest everyone start here -->
... and never look back.

Harry Potter was good too.

I also read a lot of David Baldacci, Robert Ludlum, and Tom Clancy books. So far, they have all been great.

LesMore

I definitely believe it. You can see a lot of different writers in his works.
Shame he died so young. Still contributed a lot to the science fiction world.
I was wrong its called hypergraphia... not bibliophilia...

Science Fiction is awesome! Have you read The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut?... In my opinion it might be the best Sci Fi book ever written...

LesMore

The Dark Series by Stephen King is epic in every way imaginable, but a lot of people struggle with the first book, which is a shame as the series really takes off from book 2 onwards.

Cormac McCarthy doesn't write series, but his books are dark and thought provoking, The Road and No Country For Old Men in particular stand out.

The Eisenhorn trilogy is great as is the Ciaphus Cain novels. Set in the Warhammer 40K universe. I read a massive array of genres and for futuristic war, these are very good, as are the Gaunts Ghosts novels.

Currently reading the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn which really kicks ass, if you're into political thrillers. If you like stuff like Bourne, Taken, etc, these books are for you.
Have you read McCarthy's Blood Meridian?