What's new

What if you could perform counter attacks while blocking

Say the implemented a system where at the cost of a bar or maybe two bars, you could perform an attack while blocking, and it would instantly come out, like a parry. Would mostly come in the handy for those with little life. How would you feel?

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
If by counter attack you mean you could counter then continue a combo, that would make the breaker obsolete, unless you make the counter attack cost 3 bars and then the player would have to decide to spend 2 or 3. Could be cool, but who knows.

Saint

Noob
If by counter attack you mean you could counter then continue a combo, that would make the breaker obsolete, unless you make the counter attack cost 3 bars and then the player would have to decide to spend 2 or 3. Could be cool, but who knows.
With 3 bars it'd still be overpowered

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
This is a pretty crazy idea, if both players have 3 bars it would be the first person to get an opening would get atleast a full combo. Let me explain:
- Player 1 attacks, gets a bit of his combo off before P2 uses his "parry" into combo
- Player 2 gets some of his parry combo off before P1 uses his own parry and continues into an unbreakable full combo.
- Bother players left with no meter, except P2 has eaten a full combo and P1 only took a few hits.

Unless you can get a rock solid defence, as soon as one player has 3 bars he will always have the ability to get a combo. Because no matter what, if you get an opening on your opponent with 2 bars, they either waste it on breaker meaning they now cannot attack you because they will eat a full combo, or save it to 3 bars to use parry, leading to the situation described above anyway, meaning they eat a full combo.

There is no logical way i can see this would add any value to the game, unless your'e Kitana and just rep fan combos to completely avoid breaker/parry.

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
Which is why I said massive damage scaling or a max damage for counter combos would keep it from turning into the situation above. Would it still be overpowered? Maybe, but I figure if we're entertaining the idea might as well flesh it out.

No. Absolutely unnecessary.

Anti-Rushdown Solution:

What MK9 needs is for the Wakeup Attack property to kick in when a move is performed with a precise timing after blocking or being hit. Similar to a "Reversal" in SF, except for the fact that the moves themselves would not have their own rigidly defined invincibility; thus it would only kick in when done within a small frame window.

The fact that this isn't already in the game is mind-blowing, especially since normals do so much block damage. This will add depth to the mindgames and, furthermore, force players to make better decisions in critical spots. It just makes sense to have the option to essentially Ume-Shoryu in some shape or fashion.

What MK9 needs is for the Wakeup Attack property to kick in when a move is performed with a precise timing after blocking or being hit. Similar to a "Reversal" in SF, except for the fact that the moves themselves would not have their own rigidly defined invincibility; thus it would only kick in when done within a small frame window.

The fact that this isn't already in the game is mind-blowing, especially since normals do so much block damage. This will add depth to the mindgames and, furthermore, force players to make better decisions in critical spots. It just makes sense to have the option to essentially Ume-Shoryu in some shape or fashion.
NO.

My idea was basically doing a "wake up attack" while blocking somewhat, but you wouldnt be able to combo into it. It would knock a player back to either mid screen or near end of the screen, and the knocked down player wouldnt be able to perform a wake up attack afterwards.

leek

Noob
HEEEEEELL no.

Like I have stated in other topics around the same sort of subject..

If I wanted to play Street Fighter, I would. This is a unique system and I prefer it immensely over SF or MvC3's fighting engine..

aj1701

Noob
No. Absolutely unnecessary.

Anti-Rushdown Solution:

Why does mk need this? If I wanted to play street fighter, I'd play it.

Why does mk need this? If I wanted to play street fighter, I'd play it.

Okay, so we should probably take away wake-up attacks, Meter/EX/Supers, the 2-in-1 system, etc etc, because it's too much like SF, right? Who cares if those things add depth to the game, they're too much like SF and they must go.

Fucking moronic logic.

This game is still MK, even with negative edge and the aforementioned mechanics. Adding a reversal will only deepen the game, not transform it, magically, into SF.

Only reason I thought of this idea was because of the fact both normals and specials do so much chip damage. Just figured it would be cool if there was a way out of blocked string for someone trapped at the end of their life. I dont like Street Figther at all by the way, havent played it in probably 8 years.

Justice

Noob
I just had a thought on this subject that seemed good enough to run past you guys.....

What if, say for one bar, you could do a little poke on block to shut down a rush? It wouldn't cause knockback or give the poker an advantage; it would reset to even for both players.

Thoughts?

ghostwriteous
Only reason I thought of this idea was because of the fact both normals and specials do so much chip damage. Just figured it would be cool if there was a way out of blocked string for someone trapped at the end of their life. I dont like Street Figther at all by the way, havent played it in probably 8 years.
Same. I got tired with all of the Turbo Editions, Super Championshipp Turbo Editions, etc. The last Street Fighter I seriously played was the version of SF2 where they first introduced Fei Long, DeeJay, Cammy and T. Hawk. I did snag Alpha when it came on psn for $5 though and play that maybe once a year to remind myself why I don't play SF anymore ;)