What's new

what does counterpoke mean

Lou Kang

Noob
Hey im just wondering what exactly counterpoking is and how does it differ from a regular poke...is it just referring to punishing a poke or what

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Block a poke -> Attack back

Counterpoking in general is overrated though, you're usually better off doing a string (if you have a character that has a 10f or faster mid hitting move)

Basically, making use of the fact that the opponents poke is minus frames on block and retaliating with a move of your own. If you poke back and they block, the scenario is reversed. If you hit them with a string, more than likely you'll end at neutral frames (most things in MK are) and get more chip damage/meter/potential for combo.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
When you block a poke and you poke back.

For example, if you block Sonya's d1, she's at -12, meaning you can poke back with a d1 or a d3 that's faster than 18 frames (her fastest move is 6 frames, so even if she does that you have an 18 frame window to do whatever you want, unless she jumps out but whatever). It's usually pokes because they're the fastest moves in the game.

NKZero

Noob
Can you actually punish low pokes? I've always wondered that. I've seen Dizzy "blow up" Kitana's D1 on block with F3, but maybe 16 Bit wasn't holding block.

Anyways yeah the new thing now is just doing a block string when you block a poke since they're at heavy disadvantage anyways. It is also good for catching those who try and jump over you after their poke is blocked. With counter-poke, you have to have on point timing and you can get crossed over, but you definitely secure +10 advantage rather than +5 or whatever D3's are on block.

Lou Kang

Noob
ok the window to take advantage of a blocked poke seems extremely small to throw out a blockstring but i am also an exclusively online player

Rampage254

Ayy Lmao
Can you actually punish low pokes? I've always wondered that. I've seen Dizzy "blow up" Kitana's D1 on block with F3, but maybe 16 Bit wasn't holding block.

I think d1 on block is like -15 if I'm not mistaken, and F+3 is much faster then 15, so he uses that to punish instead of a normal d1 or d3.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
ok the window to take advantage of a blocked poke seems extremely small to throw out a blockstring but i am also an exclusively online player
A poke is usually 6 or 7f, but I'll assume you're a Liu player, if you block a poke just hit them with a B312

Since this is already answered, i'm gonna leave a question I have here:

What is a hit confirm? I think I know what it is but i'm not quite sure.

Since this is already answered, i'm gonna leave a question I have here:

What is a hit confirm? I think I know what it is but i'm not quite sure.

when you hit somebody with a string, you need to make sure it actually hit and didnt get blocked, for example if you do f33 with cage you need to comfirm whether the f33 hit or not before you cancel into the nutpunch.

Anyways yeah the new thing now is just doing a block string when you block a poke since they're at heavy disadvantage anyways. It is also good for catching those who try and jump over you after their poke is blocked. With counter-poke, you have to have on point timing and you can get crossed over, but you definitely secure +10 advantage rather than +5 or whatever D3's are on block.

d1's are full combo punishable on block by fast mids, like kabal f4/cage f3 jax f4. kung lao spin can also do it but its not reccomended to try because of the small punish window, if your spin gets blocked you will get fullcombo punished. a cage f3 is reccommended because if you block a d1/d3 youre gonna counterpoke with f3 anyway and if youre fast enough you can full combo punish with f33.