What's new

What do you think of Injustice's round system?

What do you think of Injustice's round system?

• I like it

Votes: 24 55.8%
  • I dislike it

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • I don't feel strongly about it

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • I'm conflicted

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
Injustice is a fighting game unlike most of its competition. Its round system in particular is very unique.

Unlike most fighting games where opponents play 'best of 3/5/etc.', with the lifebar (and usually player positions on the stage as well) resetting after every round, Injustice takes a much different approach, whereby each opponent has two lifebars which last the entire match. When one lifebar is lost, there is a brief pause, but then combat is resumed as normal.

Ultimately, this can make comebacks considerably harder than a lot of fighting games, because there is no 'neutral position' that you will be returned back to. In particular, if you are stuck near the corner, and your opponent still has a large proportion of their first life bar left, you're in more than a bit of trouble.

Imagine you're in a different fighting game (we'll say Tekken Tag 2 because it's one of my faves :p ), with players A and B (inventive naming system, I know). In round 1, player A gets some very good reads on player B, and so manages to win the round decisively, losing only 25% of their health in the process. Then in round 2, it's a much closer call - player A and player B are down to their last 10% health. If player A wins, they now have 2 wins out of 3 necessary, while player B has none. If player B wins, they will now both be on an equal footing round-wise. Contrast this with the same case in Injustice. If player A wins the 'round', then they have won the entire match. If player B wins the 'round', they will still only have 10% health left, and their opponent will have much, much more, making victory very unlikely for player B.

This puts a lot more emphasis on momentum, especially starting momentum - once you get going, it's harder for your opponent to bring you to a stop.

So basically, do you like or dislike Injustice's round system? Further to that, if there was to be an Injustice sequel, would you like it kept the same or changed?

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I like it but the comeback mechanics suck

I would not like it if it were applied to MK, but Injustice can keep it, it's fun for itself

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I like it a lot.

It's not really that unique though, Killer Instinct and Darkstalkers 3 do it.

Even kinda those DBZ games.

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
I don't like the pause after you lose your first life bar,it looks ridiculous and makes no sense.if your going to have a game with no rounds with lifebars carrying over then let it do just that.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
For MK and SF I would never want this type of mechanic the round system works too well for those games, but for IGAU it works well, it helps to represent that the match isn't a match, but a battle between two larger than life superheros.

FOREVER BALLIN

Flash is bottom 2
I like how they went with a more unique approach instead of just resetting. Now, I agree with ryx, that if it were applied to MK, I think I would hate it.
But Injustice is its own, unique game and I think it suits the game well.

It also makes comebacks that much more hype lolz

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Anybody ever notice that sometimes you win a round and your character doesn't jump back to full screen or whatever distance rounds usually start at? I like that every now and then the 2nd round starts with both players in each other's faces randomly

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
It's fun. I think this game has taught me to be a more disciplined player, because to mount a comeback, you can't take any part of the round "off". So when you get in trouble, you have to steel your nerves, stay 100% focused, breathe, and get yourself to think about making 1 good read at a time to put yourself back in the match.

Heavily conflicted.

It's interesting because it's different and makes the magic pixel EXTREMELY important and borderline overpowered. So it's fun when you got green left and manage to damage their red health down to 50% or even make them use wager before you lose your first bar. Because then round 3 becomes a 50% handicap heavily in your favor.

But of course it sucks when you're the one trying to come back. You just need to chip their green life a bit but you can lose 10-30% or more trying to do so which sucks.

Characters that have a solid mid-range game and can play decent keep away are greatly advantaged by such a system because they are the best at protecting the life lead. Of course that means rushdown characters and grapplers are getting fucked because of the no round system whether players realize it or not.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Characters that have a solid mid-range game and can play decent keep away are greatly advantaged by such a system because they are the best at protecting the life lead. Of course that means rushdown characters are getting fucked because the no round system whether players realize it or not.
I dunno.. When Bane gets a solid life lead, due to his armor you have to take just as many risks to get to him for any kind of real damage as he'd have to take to get to you. Unless you are one of a couple characters in the game that can do mega-damage from far away, you have to be very careful approaching him.

Catwoman too -- she might not be able to zone, but when she has a life lead and she's playing 'catty', she can counter any of your offense at almost any range with a well-placed bit of armor for 50% and put you farther in the hole.

Doomsday has his double-armored charge, plus his trait to help keep a life lead, and the threat of beating zoning with a well-timed Supernova.

Personally I think that when you consider all the factors, the 'rush down characters' are fine in this round system.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Characters that have a solid mid-range game and can play decent keep away are greatly advantaged by such a system because they are the best at protecting the life lead. Of course that means rushdown characters and grapplers are getting fucked because of the no round system whether players realize it or not.
my biggest problem with the rushdown characters is that they're too momentum heavy for their own good. they can't really play a strong neutral game and that tends to hurt them when they make a mistake or are trying to preserve a life lead (especially if you're Shazam because you can't even do it safely). Bane's overall footsies are truthfully pretty weak because he has short range (barring command grab and d.1) but he makes up for it by pretty much smothering a lot of attempts to approach him with armor.

if they had a good safe poke (speed, range, damage, any combination of these) i think they'd all be a lot better at working with the game

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
I really like it, my main is Grundy and if the game had a round system like MK I don't think he would work as well. That first health bar is everything for me, if I take the opponents first and I have a good chunk of mine left, I can just back up, in that situation they have to come to me, and Grundy can do a lot to make people pay for carelessly rushing in on him. However, if I lost that first health bar, the pressure is on me to get in, but do so carefully because I need to make up that life before I take more damage.

I dunno.. When Bane gets a solid life lead, due to his armor you have to take just as many risks to get to him for any kind of real damage as he'd have to take to get to you. Unless you are one of a couple characters in the game that can do mega-damage from far away, you have to be very careful approaching him.

Catwoman too -- she might not be able to zone, but when she has a life lead and she's playing 'catty', she can counter any of your offense at almost any range with a well-placed bit of armor for 50% and put you farther in the hole.

Doomsday has his double-armored charge, plus his trait to help keep a life lead, and the threat of beating zoning with a well-timed Supernova.

Personally I think that when you consider all the factors, the 'rush down characters' are fine in this round system.
You could be right. Too bad we never see Bane players gain the life lead in the first place. :D

Catwoman and DD still go in even with the life lead. They have no reason to sit back and try to protect it because they aren't made for that. Offense is the best defense for them.

Only exception I can really think of is Grundy because he can take reduced chip with his defense chain. So he has a pretty big advantage with green health. He is stronger and scarier when he manages to maintain his first bar vs 2nd bar. And Tyrant does it pretty well.

didnt vulcan hades make a thread like this back in june?
Yes. And it was pretty much 50/50. Some like it, some don't, some don't really know. Hard to believe huh. :joker:

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
At first it was weird, but I guess its influence is not bad. After all, if you want traditional "rounds", there's a rematch button :)

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I like it but the comeback mechanics suck

I would not like it if it were applied to MK, but Injustice can keep it, it's fun for itself

^^^ This precisely.
The KI style battle has its fun perks, and it meshes well with the game's style in and of itself, but at the end of the day, I still like regular rounds a bit more.

6-4 Rounds over IGAU Bars.

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
It bugs me that people still think that losing a round puts them further behind in this game than in others. It's frequently the precise opposite, because the knife cuts both ways - just like in other fighters, you have to deplete two life bars. In Injustice's case, though, you get to keep the work you've already done, rather than when you lose a round having the other player get their life back to full. If you lose the first round in another fighter, then you've got one more lifebar left and they have two completely full ones you need to deplete. In Injustice, if you took away half their bar in the first round, then they still need to deplete a second bar, but you're at one bar and a half to a win. Factually, you're closer to a comeback at many times in this system, rather than the other way around. Feeling like you're not is a psychological trick brought on by the prominent visibility of the bars.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
It bugs me that people still think that losing a round puts them further behind in this game than in others. It's frequently the precise opposite, because the knife cuts both ways - just like in other fighters, you have to deplete two life bars. In Injustice's case, though, you get to keep the work you've already done, rather than when you lose a round having the other player get their life back to full. If you lose the first round in another fighter, then you've got one more lifebar left and they have two completely full ones you need to deplete. In Injustice, if you took away half their bar in the first round, then they still need to deplete a second bar, but you're at one bar and a half to a win. Factually, you're closer to a comeback at many times in this system, rather than the other way around. Feeling like you're not is a psychological trick brought on by the prominent visibility of the bars.
Good point, but there's caveat that after "losing a round" you have just one bar of health to clear what your opponent still has, while traditional round system would give you almost 2 bars for that.

Anyways, I believe that we're coming at this from the wrong angle. I feel that IGAU system is more like "1 round with forced disengagement in the middle of it".