What's new

What do you expect to see in MK9's evolution in 2-3 years?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Title says it all. Pretty much, how do you expect certain characters to flesh out in like 2-3 years?

IMO, I see it like this:

-Kabal will eventually develop a bad matchup in Cage (Yes, I'm fucking crazy...but in all honesty, you never know...shit, T.Hawk in ST was bottom tier for years, but is now top tier, so it goes to show everything can change).

-Sonya will begin to require waaaaaaay more than what she does right now.

-Cyrax and Smoke will be ToD machines once everyone's execution tightens up.

-Quan Chi is going to start shifting radically away from being as meter dependent as he is.

-Reptile's d4 will shape up Reptile's game even more than it does now.

-Sub will jump. A LOT.

-Liu Kang's matchups will begin to shift into who can force him into blocking and dealing with wakeup and who can't.

Just my thoughts...anyone else?

LEGEND

YES!
Jax will be seen as top 10 again

Freddy will be seen as Auto top 5

Smoke and Skarlet Wont be top 10
-
Everyones poke game will be on point, D1s and D3 will not be very common outside evades and links to specials

People will finally understand iAP zoning, kabal kitana Liu ect causing MUs to change

No Kenshi will ever win a Major tournament

Cyrax will get banned, or at least be seriously considered for banning

Some top player from a different FG will become a top MK player (pulled in by injustice)

-Kratos will become the new Cyrax, while the real Cyrax/Cyblax will be the new Kabal.
Or:
-Kratos will remain undiscovered.

-Kratos vs Kabal will become 4-6 in Kuh-Bawl's advantage due to some shit being discovered for Darth Vader.

-Kratos will become unbanned in an attempt to extract as much out of the game as possible.

THTB

Jax will be seen as top 10 again

Freddy will be seen as Auto top 5

Smoke and Skarlet Wont be top 10
-
Everyones poke game will be on point, D1s and D3 will not be very common outside evades and links to specials

People will finally understand iAP zoning, kabal kitana Liu ect causing MUs to change

No Kenshi will ever win a Major tournament

Cyrax will get banned, or at least be seriously considered for banning

Some top player from a different FG will become a top MK player (pulled in by injustice)
I actually think Jax's lack of damage will come to bite him in the ass immensely. Too many characters hit too hard everywhere on the screen.

I actually don't think Cyrax will ever get banned. He's definitely checked in a number of cases, but I think he'll be top 3. I don't see him being popular in the long run, because he'll require too many different player skills to be effective.

Freddy...Idk, I'm convinced he'll drop out of top 5 actually. I think eventually his keepaway will only be super strong when he gets you full screen.

Smoke I can't see dropping out of top 10. By 2-3 years, people will have developed their execution to the point where not many fuck up his resets. Plus I see him benefiting from the perfection of the poke game. But Skarlet, definitely can see that possibly happening.

Agreed on iaP zoning.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
I agree on Quan Chi. He's already becoming less meter dependent. F1 2 is good for punishing pokes when you bait them. Knowing your trance distance becomes more and more important in many matchups. 1 1 2 is really good. We have high damage no meter combos from every starter. It's not all rune trap.

THTB

I wanna see this THawk Tech.
OS command throw is fucked up...unlike Gief's command throws, Hawk's has no whiff animation, so he can do a negative edge one ending in down/back and he is 100% safe from any reversal attempt. It's a pretty execution-heavy option select, but people in recent times have gotten it down to where it's rare to see it messed up, so it's a lot less of a "hope he messes up" sorta thing and more of a "I need to play solid or I'm screwed" type of ordeal. Condor dive and his normals aid in getting in position for this.

Before everyone knew this, he was bottom tier, and he stayed that way after everyone even found out. It just took refinement in the ability to do this.

THTB

I agree on Quan Chi. He's already becoming less meter dependent. F1 2 is good for punishing pokes when you bait them. Knowing your trance distance becomes more and more important in many matchups. 1 1 2 is really good. We have high damage no meter combos from every starter. It's not all rune trap.
The way I see it, rune trap will drop down to a 1-rep into post-RT mixup. I also can see his counter zoning game becoming a lot more talked about. Trance is the gayest trade in the game. It is essentially a slower EX freeze with less range that's still useable.

STB CharlieMurphy I think Kitana suffers too much from not having a non-poke option that hits crouching opponents at a decent speed. I do think her footsies game will flesh out to be even more retarded than it already is, but I can see her either retaining her current position or dropping in favor of more characters capable of abusing the poking game harder.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
The way I see it, rune trap will drop down to a 1-rep into post-RT mixup. I also can see his counter zoning game becoming a lot more talked about. Trance is the gayest trade in the game. It is essentially a slower EX freeze with less range that's still useable.

STB CharlieMurphy I think Kitana suffers too much from not having a non-poke option that hits crouching opponents at a decent speed. I do think her footsies game will flesh out to be even more retarded than it already is.
who's gonna poke her while she's in the air?

I expect her to be Kung Lao 2.0.

but yeah... Quan is .... different. Always different.

THTB

who's gonna poke her while she's in the air?

I expect her to be Kung Lao 2.0.

but yeah... Quan is .... different. Always different.
I don't see her air game improving her that much, tbh, unless spaced JKs become the thing.

Ashenar

Just a slightly above average player.....
The reason why thawk is top tier in st is because of his retarded option in the corner. Lbsh cage doesn't have a whiffed command grab that if it doesn't come out leads into some more retarded shit because the whiff has no recovery or animation.

THTB

The reason why thawk is top tier in st is because of his retarded option in the corner. Lbsh cage doesn't have a whiffed command grab that if it doesn't come out leads into some more retarded shit because the whiff has no recovery or animation.
And he has anti-projectile options without meter. :p

Ashenar

Just a slightly above average player.....
Luckily the more I watch the old games the more I begin to understand fucked up shit and how it's used. THTB