What's new

What do I need to do differently?

I am new to Injustice and fighting games in general for the most part with only a little experience in Mk9.

Right now anytime I go online I get my ass completely destroyed. Whether the person has a shitty record or not. I have over 6 hours in practice mode, and feel like it's a complete waste of time because anytime I go against someone moving, anything I try and do falls apart. Many people that I am playing against have negative records, and even sometimes will random select but yet still manage to buttonmash their way to victory, and often times by a good bit.

I have been practicing with batman, cat woman, raven and a little bit of aqua. I feel like I can land combos when I am in practice just fine (most of the time, piece of shit 360 controller oh I hate you) but when I get into a game my mind goes blank, and I don't remember wtf I am doing and almost "panic". Also feels like anytime I start to string a combo together it doesn't often work. Idk if it's because of lag or what.. but it's annoying going from practice and being able to do it and not in game. Why am I even practicing?

Suggestions? Normal? Or should I just go trade in the game at game stop?

NapoleonComplex

Worst Injustice Player
Focus on one character and BLOCK. D1 in between opponent's strings. Try to do cross ups. Using armored wallbounce can be helpful for me.

I'm not too good myself lol

EDIT: Also clash is really helpful for comebacks, but I wouldn't use it when your health is high because you won't gain back much health.

"it's annoying going from practice and being able to do it and not in game."

This was me playing MK lol.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
Go into practice mode or add some people from here to train with in online practice mode.

And if you're having a hard time with the controller buy a Madcatz fight pad controller or try a stick out.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
1) stick to ONE character til you win regularly and then try others.

2) it's not about quantity in training, it's about quality.. Work on BnB combos and special move execution. Over and over til it is not thought about and becomes muscle reflex.

3) you made the post- now listen to the feedback.. Many of these people are great at fighters and have the experience.

4) it's okay to lose, as long as you learn from the losses and understand WHY you lost and what you can do next time to not repeat it.

5) have fun.. Win or Loss the game should be fun- this is not your livelihood- you're not making money on it-don't be hard in yourself and enjoy.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
I am so happy then that you have managed to waste your time in replying to my thread in which I clearly state that I have been practicing. Way to be a jackass
He was just trying to help you. It's a fighting game. People that have some basic fundamentals are going to naturally be better than people that don't really have experience with fighting games or just really started playing fighting games with Injustice.

It all transitions over from one another. The only way to get better is to practice and get the feel for the game and the character that you are playing. It takes more than landing a few combos in practice mode, you have to be mentally better than your opponent also. You have to take a deep breath and think what your game plan is against the character they are using. And by that I mean think about that person using their character to their potential and be ready to counter it.

If by chance they don't know what the fuck they are doing with that character or playing the character at a disadvantage, ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK and don't give up until you have not only beaten them life meter wise, but also mentally.

That's the best advice I can give you that has also helped me do decent so far in this game.

Thanks for the advice. I understand that telling someone to practice more is in a way helping, but when it is clearly stated that he was too ignorant to even read what I typed it doesn't come off that way.

As far as sticking with just one character, do you have any suggestions of who that should be? It would seem logical if you want to do well and actually get better to go with someone that is "decent" already, rather than someone that looks cool and sucks and/or is rather difficult to play. Could be wrong though.

I want to start working on BnB combos, but I haven't found anywhere explaining what the "code" format that it is typed in means, so have been just trying to make up my own stuff as I go >.<

Komatose

The Prettiest
You are calling me ignorant? Lol. When it comes to fighters, whether you think I'm "Ignorant" or not, I would advise you to listen to people who are better than you and and have already proven themselves. But go ahead and keep losing. Can't say I didn't tell you to PRACTICE. Bloody novice...

OP I've had the same problem as you in various fighting games.

The problem you're having is that in training, you get to mentally prepare your combos and repeat them over and over. In a game situation, you rarely know you have a guaranteed combo and you only get one shot at it.

One thing that has worked for me is to learn a combo in training mode, then practice it against low-skill AI. It takes time but you will eventually be able to combo in game situations.

Finally, I should point out that 6 hours in training isn't much, especially if you haven't spent a considerable amount of time on other fighters.

NapoleonComplex

Worst Injustice Player
While Villan can be a dick sometimes all the time, he is right. Just keep practicing. Watch videos of high level players and see what they do.
Good advice. Forgot to mention that.

There are usually people doing live streams you can watch (they are listed on the front of the site).

ABACABB

End Of Humanity
When you go online dont be scared lol its just a game ,the worst thing which can happen to you is getting one more lost match ;d So chill and dont panic

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
Thanks for the advice. I understand that telling someone to practice more is in a way helping, but when it is clearly stated that he was too ignorant to even read what I typed it doesn't come off that way.

As far as sticking with just one character, do you have any suggestions of who that should be? It would seem logical if you want to do well and actually get better to go with someone that is "decent" already, rather than someone that looks cool and sucks and/or is rather difficult to play. Could be wrong though.

I want to start working on BnB combos, but I haven't found anywhere explaining what the "code" format that it is typed in means, so have been just trying to make up my own stuff as I go >.<
Aquaman has a good starter set for beginners. He does not have an overabundance of moves.
I would avoid The Joker and Cyborg.

I hate saying- be him, or dont be her though..

It's your money.. Pick up and learn who YOU like. As time goes on, more tech will come out for your character. Then when you set your mind on one character- enter training..

What moves do you have that are ranged? What moves do you have for close quarters? How do I combat range? How do I combat close quarters? What are my jump in moves like? What can I do when I land a jump in move? How do I react if opponent jumps in on me?

There is a record ability in training. Say you are having trouble with a certain characters moves.. Say Deathstrokes guns... Well- you can pick DS, and record you firing the guns over and over.. Then playback as your character, the dummy will be DS doing what you recorded.

Komatose

The Prettiest

Look at this... Asking people who they think you should play. First of all, who are you? Who do you use in other fighters? No one can suggest a character for you when you are no one anyone knows. So let's start there. When you get the feel of a character you choose on your own, go into practice and get their pressure down, their mixups down and there combos down. The reason I'm telling you to choose a character on your own is because no one is going to be able to tell you what character to like or to get a feel for. That is something you develop and progress the more you practice. Secondly, get your AAs down for those jumpy players and know your AAs for characters that require jumping or downward attacks. Example, Black Adam, Hawkgirl etc etc... What "code format" are you talking about?

PS3: 1=square 2=triangle 3=x 4=o
Xbox: 1=x 2=y 3=a and 4=b.

Those numbers and letters in this game convert to Light, Medium, Heavy and Special inputs. When you see a combo with numbers and letters in them, now you should know what it means. There are also variations of them. u1 meaning Up 1. d1 meaning Down 1 etc. Now YOU stop being ignorant before I troll you out of your own thread. Expand your brain enough to learn combos, adapt to the combo system, learn the MUs, end of discussion. Is that enough for you or do you need more?

Look at this... Asking people who they think you should play. First of all, who are you? Who do you use in other fighters? No one can suggest a character for you when you are no one anyone knows. So let's start there. When you get the feel of a character you choose on your own, go into practice and get their pressure down, their mixups down and there combos down. The reason I'm telling you to choose a character on your own is because no one is going to be able to tell you what character to like or to get a feel for. That is something you develop and progress the more you practice. Secondly, get your AAs down for those jumpy players and know your AAs for characters that require jumping or downward attacks. Example, Black Adam, Hawkgirl etc etc... What "code format" are you talking about?

PS3: 1=square 2=triangle 3=x 4=o
Xbox: 1=x 2=y 3=a and 4=b.

Those numbers and letters in this game convert to Light, Medium, Heavy and Special inputs. When you see a combo with numbers and letters in them, now you should know what it means. There are also variations of them. u1 meaning Up 1. d1 meaning Down 1 etc. Now YOU stop being ignorant before I troll you out of your own thread. Expand your brain enough to learn combos, adapt to the combo system, learn the MUs, end of discussion. Is that enough for you or do you need more?

Thank you. I retract every statement made thus far about you being a jackass :)

KiD INsAnitY

Z of The Leaf -Team R.A.N
Leave the Guy alone damn lol can't even ask for help nowadays without getting blownup...Anyway I had the same problem IN MK9 I would get some good combos down in practice but as soon as I got online all that shit went out.the window and I started mashing mad ass buttons. You just gotta practice alot and burn the moves into your head don't jump from character to character either its best to pick just 1 char at 1st and hit the training room also try playing the AI on hard/very hard its good practice and you don't have to worry about your win/lose record.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
The first thing you need to do is play with all the characters, and pick the one that u had most fun with. Learn every basic move and string, learn your characters bnb combos, watch tourmant videos, read/participate in the TYM forums. Dont be afraid to ask questions, there are some dickheads around here including me but just ignore them, and since u already registered here, your in the right direction to become a better player and beat some other players online/offline.

Komatose

The Prettiest
Leave the Guy alone damn lol can't even ask for help nowadays without getting blownup...Anyway I had the same problem IN MK9 I would get some good combos down in practice but as soon as I got online all that shit went out.the window and I started mashing mad ass buttons. You just gotta practice alot and burn the moves into your head don't jump from character to character either its best to pick just 1 char at 1st and hit the training room also try playing the AI on hard/very hard its good practice and you don't have to worry about your win/lose record.
When a "good" player tells someone to practice (which is helping them) and gets called ignorant, well, need I say more? Not to mention you said the same thing I did basically. So, stop being ignorant and a jackass.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
When a "good" player tells someone to practice (which is helping them) and gets called ignorant, well, need I say more? Not to mention you said the same thing I did basically. So, stop being ignorant and a jackass.
You are not wrong- your original point came across as elitist to a new player is all.

Can we stop the he said, he said arguments and offer some good advice? Thanks!

Villain, the only thing that really threw me off about your initial post was that you said you didn't even bother to read what else I had to say, that was it. Had you just said "The best thing to do is to keep practicing" (whether you read the rest of the post or not) wouldn't have rubbed me the wrong way, or at least not nearly as much. But like I said in my last post, after your explanation about things, I appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Hes right tough.All of your post have this negative vibe like your mad at the whole world or something