What's new

what can cyrax use for low pressure w/o low combo starter?

Spletty

Grandmaster
In my quest to become mediocre with every character I ran across cyrax. I like him. His resets are fun and not entirely complicated, an obsticle course of bombs, and that yellow metal paint job. But like raiden, he doesn't have a low combo starter... which I tend to abuse with other characters. Does anyone have advice on how to pressure low? I know about the ex ragdoll, and of course the d3 and d4, but is there anything else? Thanks in advance

I don't understand what you're asking for... are you looking for moves that aren't listed on the moves list or something? If you wanna pressure low you're pretty much looking at pokes and ragdoll with cyrax, you can't do a whole lot else. I don't play the character so I don't know if this links, but d3 xx buzzsaw should be a cute low/overhead mixup. Once you get them fearing that you can just do a d3 > d4 and get yourself some more damage plus a lot of frame advantage for a basically free blockstring/grab attempt.

NKZero

Noob
Spletty91 all of Cyrax's strings hit true mid so with him it isn't a 50/50 mix-up game but more of a when am I going to end my strings game. If you use 212, 112 and 111 strings that's all you need. You could do something like 11,1,11,121,rag doll etc. You can also mix it in with the command grab at any time (try to be unpredictable with that). If you really want a mix-up, you can either end his strings or even pokes with the chest saw (overhead) or EX rag doll (low) but that burns a bar of meter...

Spletty

Grandmaster
Thanks guys. I see a lot of potential in 'rax so just trying to maximize my abilities, I appreciate it!

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
As far an I know he has no mid or low combo starters, which means that for lows, you use pokes and for over heads just finish your string. Try this and variations of this. 21,d3,1,d3,212

I don't use Cyrax so this is something I just came up with one the spot. You'll have to ask Mustard-LK4D4, OneBoxyRobot or another well known Cyrax player what they use for pressure.

Even though he doesn't have a low combo starter, Cyrax has a pretty good 50/50 between command grab and things that aren't command grab.

Seapeople

This one's for you
d4 like Mustard said is the best low to use.
For pressure I normally use 121~ragdoll or 212 to establish a mixup. From there just cut your strings short occasionally and immediately go into the command grab or a forward throw. I.e. 12 command grab, 2 command grab, etc.

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
d4 like Mustard said is the best low to use.
For pressure I normally use 121~ragdoll or 212 to establish a mixup.
hmm, i really dont see how that can be seen as mixing anything up, theyre just strings lol, its very easy for people to realise that youve stopped your string and just d1/3 you for it.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
His low pressure pretty much goes hand in hand with the rest of his tools. There are no strikes in particular that stand out as far as lows other than EX Ragdoll, which isn't great by itself unless you're trying to re-position, so your best bets as far as low pressure would be D4 Ragdoll, or baiting with a 11 to try and get them to stand block in anticipation of the last 1.
If anything, you WANT your opponent to block low for pressure as he has a lot more options attacking from the top than the bottom...Buzzsaws, B2, 33 into pokes and prods, ending blockstrings w/Ragdoll and poking them to death w/D1 & D4...beneath the lure of reset fishing, there's a LOT of options for pressure once you get Cy in, or Cyblax, with whom you get the bonus of the Telepoof.

Seapeople

This one's for you
hmm, i really dont see how that can be seen as mixing anything up, theyre just strings lol, its very easy for people to realise that youve stopped your string and just d1/3 you for it.
Using 121~ragdoll or 212 a few times will make them expect you to do the whole string again, and when you cut it short they will react too slowly. They will only d1/d3 fast enough if they expect you to cut the string short.
It's just stagger mixups similar to Sub Zero's 21/212, Cage's f3/f33b3, etc. Imho they work really well as long as you're making good reads.

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
Using 121~ragdoll or 212 a few times will make them expect you to do the whole string again, and when you cut it short they will react too slowly. They will only d1/d3 fast enough if they expect you to cut the string short.
It's just stagger mixups similar to Sub Zero's 21/212, Cage's f3/f33b3, etc. Imho they work really well as long as you're making good reads.
every single person i play against regularly manages to interupt 212 on block, ill get away with it like, once every few rounds. which just leaves you with 121.