What's new

Question What are some good alt chars if you main SubbyZ?

Screamo Luvr

Ice Warrior
I've been looking to pick up some alt chars so I can change up the match a bit on fight nights, but I find few appealing after tasting the amazingness of Subby-Z. I know this is kind of a wierd question for this forum, but I wanted to ask here so Sub-Zero players could relate. What are some good alt characters to pick up if you main with Sub-Zero and feel comfortable with him?

zee

Icy
I find I can relate to Reptile quite a bit. His force balls have a similar "floating combo" property attached to them. His slide move is quite like Sub's (Although Sub's is apparently more punishable). After maining Sub-Zero, you kinda want to take that mind-game approach with any alternate main... and Reptile is a pretty good candidate for that as well.

That said, you can't go wrong with any top tier character whose unique properties appeal to you... Ermac, Smoke and Raiden definitely come to mind.

King

Sig Maker
Johnny Cage and Ermac come to my mind for some reason. JC with that sweet rushdown and Ermac with his strategic zone game and easy high-damage combos.

Nathan Frost

Cybernetic Pyro Maniac
I'm with Zee with this one. For some reason transitioning into Reptile has been so easy for me, it just flows for some reason.

Screamo Luvr

Ice Warrior
I had previously been doing some combo experimentation as well with reptile, and his combos felt really nice. But another character I have been looking at is Quan Chi. Now, to be fair, really the only reason I'm initially attracted to him as a character is because of his calmly smug disposition and the fact that he, y'know, controls hell? It's probably a bad think to base a character use after, but I'm interested in learning him. He seems a little different, and it also feels like a lot of his combos have to start with JIP. Some advice regarding Quan Chi's playstyle in comparison to S-0 would be helpful if any of you have rolled him before. For now though, reptile is pretty much my only working secondary.-

iWumbo

Noob
In terms of similarity to SubZ, then of course I would say Reptile (even though I despise that overgrown lizard with a passion).

If you're looking for a complete change from SubZ (which is what I did), I would recommend Liu Kang. His crazy rushdown and ability to combo from either an overhead or a low hit makes him a nightmare in someone's face. He's definitely someone to think about if you're getting tired of the zoning and bait-n-punish type of deal that Sub Zero is.

Dark_Rob

Noob
I really only like Subzero. I messed with Reptile when the game first came out, but dropped him pretty quick. I was fooling around with Ermac and Smoke pre patch but all they're fun stuff got nerfed out, well not so much with Ermac but taking away Smokes OTG smoke bomb killed any interest I had in him.

Subzero all the way.

ando1184

Noob
I really only like Subzero. I messed with Reptile when the game first came out, but dropped him pretty quick. I was fooling around with Ermac and Smoke pre patch but all they're fun stuff got nerfed out, well not so much with Ermac but taking away Smokes OTG smoke bomb killed any interest I had in him.

Subzero all the way.
its funny, i did exactly the same thing and now that these patches have come out ive been sticking with strictly sub

Creepy00

Noob
The closest character that comes in mind right away is Reptile. Thinking about it, it might be why i started playing him. And Some what Ermac. Reptile basically because he has the most similarities to subzero. I would tell you what exactly but it will ruin the fun. Plus, any character you play with besides Sz, is a plus with subzero cause now if the opponent picks him/her you know their potential and can counter them. Wished more people knew lol

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
I main Sub Zero. I have played with Reptile, Quan chi and Liu kang as people suggest. I would not go Ermac, he is too overplayed and is generally EZ-Mode and not really in the hard working sub zero mode.

Quan Chi is sort of like Sub Zero as he has plenty of mix ups and a good projectile. What I do with Quan Chi is to play mind games with my opponent. We all know how dangerous sky drop is. Well most also know you can make it miss either to the left or right by steering it. So I like to sky drop left and right of my opponent to force mistakes. Should you get a sky drop it staggers the opponent and you should really do the back 3, 12 which is a low then an overhead and you can go into a trance and start damaging.

So I would recommend him, he is a good character who is often underplayed online.

King

Sig Maker

Subzero all the way.
Pretty much EXACTLY my story playing MK. Only difference is that I'm also a little bit of a Lao/Ermac/Sektor player.

I'm spending all of my time working on Sub Zero right now. If I decide to try to pick up another character seriously, it will probably be Smoke.

doomfarmer

unorthodox
i main sub

I also use kano, raiden, reptile and noob pretty well too, and they seemed easy to pick up after putting in so much time with sub. kano and reptile are a lot of fun to play.

I've been working hard on Sub lately, I really like having a good rush down character to fall back on. Right now it's JC, and I fool with Kano a lot too.

I rock Ermac and Kano as my secondary characters. I use Ermac to turtle a bit and keep them from getting too aggressive with his Force Push and Slam, the Force Slam can lead into some mean combos lol. Kano is a nice change of pace from both of them. He can zone well enough, but his rushdown game is pretty brutal too. I've been diggin' Sub-Zero since day one, but since then I've picked up Ermac and Kano best, they just feel good to play as.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Noob Saibot because I think he's a great counterpick to another Sub-Zero and other non-teleporters. I use Lui Kang as well, but I definitely find Noob to be a better fit for my own playstyle. At this stage, I treat Noob as an equally viable option to Sub-Zero, it just depends on the matchup.

Depends on your play style and what you feel most comfortable with. I enjoy using Sub Zero and Cyrax the most. I like characters that depend heavily on mind games, reading your opponent, and setting up "booby traps". I like to play it mostly safe yet tricky. Kind of a mix between offensive and defensive but usually more defensive.

I suppose if you're looking for a change of pace and you wan't to rush in and pummel you can go with Cage, Kang or hell, even give Jax a shot. As another user mentioned, Reptile is a bag of tricks, you may wan't to give him a shot. Those elbow dashes and alternate speed forceballs make some people uneasy :rofl: Hope you find your next enjoyable char. Good luck!

the only similarities sub and cyber sub have are the freeze ball and slide lol thats why i love using them both, love getting combos after freezes

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
I've been thinking about this for a while now and I am not really too sure about Lui Kang anymore. I just don't feel he fits my playstyle. I have been told I have a very strong Noob Saibot but I'd like to have more than just one other strong character in my pocket besides Noob. Obviously, I like to solve my problems with Sub-Zero if I can, however, I love to have options. I am not somebody who can just pick the same character over and over again as I base my selection on matchup and I like to counterpick. Who would you guys suggest as a possible secondary given that I love me some Sub and Noob Saibot? :D

I am not really looking for a rushdown character or a character with a fast teleport since those don't really suit my style either. I'd like somebody very methodical if possible. I was thinking about Quan Chi, but I don't really know all that much about his playstyle yet. So... suggestions...

Screamo Luvr

Ice Warrior
I've been thinking about this for a while now and I am not really too sure about Lui Kang anymore. I just don't feel he fits my playstyle. I have been told I have a very strong Noob Saibot but I'd like to have more than just one other strong character in my pocket besides Noob. Obviously, I like to solve my problems with Sub-Zero if I can, however, I love to have options. I am not somebody who can just pick the same character over and over again as I base my selection on matchup and I like to counterpick. Who would you guys suggest as a possible secondary given that I love me some Sub and Noob Saibot? :D

I am not really looking for a rushdown character or a character with a fast teleport since those don't really suit my style either. I'd like somebody very methodical if possible. I was thinking about Quan Chi, but I don't really know all that much about his playstyle yet. So... suggestions...
I've been thinking about Quan Chi. I'll have to experiment, he seems to be kind of unique.

ninjay

Noob
I main Sub, and I love to use Kabal as my alt. He has mixups similar to Sub and you can run your opponent through the obstacle course if you want.

lazybird123

Purple Belt in BJJ, White Belt in MK
Smoke and Sektor are my alternates but I really want someone new. I might stick with Sektor though as he is fun