What's new

General/Other Well done Tom Brady

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
2 matches is very short to adjust to play style.
He went from a super patient, methodical Kung Lao who used setups to destroy... to a Kung Lao who was very basic and random.
I think it just proves how good Kung Lao is... all the young kids I've seen make it far in these tournaments have all used Kung Lao. He can make bad reads and bad decisions and still come out on top. Plus throw in the whole being totally random b/c they don't know much and it's hard to play against them.

2 wrong guessed mixups ends a round, 4 rounds and it will be over. Theres no time to adjust to anything in 4 rounds, it will be some guesses and nothing more. We obviously knows that we cant do ft10 but people should to start looking for ways to improve it. Last MLG shwed the direction. They did bo5 all the way till the finals and no one died or anything.

The thing is, the randomness of the results are inversely porportional to the amount of matchs the guys had to play.
The randomness will be, aways, random... lol... no matter the number of the matches. And well, make your game... is there for both of you... if you loses 4 rounds without doing anything... maybe its not the ramdomness the problem, besides, if you lose this 4 rounds... its not over... you will be in the losers... its only over if you lose, at least, 8 rounds.

Well... I agree that could be bo5 all the way down... but I totally disagree that the ones with bo3 cannot be serious tournaments, just that.

To me, the best and most fair way to say "this is the champion"... is when everybody fights everybody two times, and then, the TOP 4 makes two semi-finals, then, the Grand Final. Imagine this on a large escale like EVO, the time and resourses to do this properly, its almost impossible, but hey, this is just me, maybe in the future.... huhauaheuaheu...

those 2 kung laos are good examples of the why a serious tournament cant be run with 2 out of 3 matchs.
while I agree withn what youre saying 3 out of 5 would be a lot better. But this isn't because of Kung lao only, if it weren't subzero vs kung lao, the randomness wouldnt be that hard at all.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
First to 3 will always be the best way to play this game. 3 matches gives enough time to show if you can adapt ... or if you can't.
2 matches favors the random and the gimmicky to an extent.

you guys should to look for results between players in a tournament bo3/bo5 and then any longer set of them, the results usually are pretty different. I will give u guys a example I saw yesterday; Daigo was raped recently by Sako (ryu vs ibuki) at a tournament that was bo7 or ft7 im no sure, and recently they had the oportunity to play a bigger set, ft50. 50-27 to daigo. Obviously we cant say for sure how serious they were playing, Sako could be trying to implement new things to his gameplan and all, but I doubt that would be the reason for such huge difference from the results of the tourney.

Today's games are full of rushdowns, mixups and ambiguous shit. bo5 also isnt enough in my opinion, but is better than bo3. What Id like to see asap is a changing in the comunity about it, when they stop accepting bo3s as enough the organizers would have to start doing something, then we would to start discussing about the possibilities, the problems of doing it with bo5s and what can be done to circunvent it.

NKZero

Noob
you guys should to look for results between players in a tournament bo3/bo5 and then any longer set of them, the results usually are pretty different. I will give u guys a example I saw yesterday; Daigo was raped recently by Sako (ryu vs ibuki) at a tournament that was bo7 or ft7 im no sure, and recently they had the oportunity to play a bigger set, ft50. 50-27 to daigo. Obviously we cant say for sure how serious they were playing, Sako could be trying to implement new things to his gameplan and all, but I doubt that would be the reason for such huge difference from the results of the tourney.

Today's games are full of rushdowns, mixups and ambiguous shit. bo5 also isnt enough in my opinion, but is better than bo3. What Id like to see asap is a changing in the comunity about it, when they stop accepting bo3s as enough the organizers would have to start doing something, then we would to start discussing about the possibilities, the problems of doing it with bo5s and what can be done to circunvent it.
i agree with you. even a best of 5 doesnt necessarily say much but for a tournament setting it is ideal. i would love most standard games to be bo5 and the grand finals to be a bo7

Yeah... as I said before... bo5 would be great, I agree with that... but keep in mind that a tounament is not a "best of X" or a "Fist to X" against just one player or friend, its a specific way to compete... and there are limitations to that just like any other way. And in a tounament.. other factors are involved too... like the pressure of prove yourself, if you have a sponsor... to prove for your sponsor, if not, to get one(lol)... the crowd yelling, the prize, the oponents, all the pressure... anyway... what Im trying to say is: the scene is growing, so eventually the rule-set can improve, this is aways a good thing, but hey, dont come here and say that serious tournaments cannot exist with a Double Elimination Brackets with a bo3 rule-set... thats the best and most popular way we have now, and it is serious, you dont need to be radical to make your point valid.

As I said, to me, could be everyone vs. everyone, two times, then the semis, then the GF... but because its not like that... its not serious? Come on.

2 matches is very short to adjust to play style.
He went from a super patient, methodical Kung Lao who used setups to destroy... to a Kung Lao who was very basic and random.
2 of 3 matches are simply the consequence of being at a community fighting game event, where they want to show every match. Every game (not just MK) had 2 of 3 yesterday (including games like UMVC3, which really needs 3 of 5), and well they had SEVEN games to get on stream!

They got 6 top 8s and 1 top 4 onto stream......and amusingly, SF4 was the game that got shafted with only top 4. 3 out of 5 is a luxury, but its just not practical at a community event if you want to be streamed at top 8.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I just want to say that I wish I had the means and time to sit and play with Tom Brady. The short time I had with him at NRS was amazing. I learned more about MK9 and about how to approach learning and dissecting fighting games in that short time than I ever have in my entire fighting game career.

Thank you, Tom, for all you have done and all you continue to do for the MK community.

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
he agrees with you. He said on stream he made a huge mistake in using KL.
I'm glad he recognize his mistake. :)

And c'mon... the hype would be huuuuge. After all it would be the rematch of the Power Up 2011 grand finals. :)

yes i will be at CEO. before my blow up podcast goes up where a few Sub-Zero players wish to blow up or expose me, I figure I'd take the chance to say thanks to all my supporters and to everyone to enjoyed my top 8 matches.

IMO, forever king is EASILY one of the absolute best players and anyone who thinks otherwise will find out first hand. the guy could have just as well beaten me and could very well beat me in our next meeting. I have the highest respect for him as a player and a classy competitor.

MKLegend had such a strange style. i think many people underestimated him. he is a very good player and he did very well at his first offline tournament.

sorry i couldnt pull it out vs 16bit, standing 4 is a bitch when it happens so much lol. input bug or not, i could have still lost even if all went well. 16bit is a great player. great games, great commentary.. "great tournament, great experience"..

anyway, thanks for all the support. gonna lay low for a while, after all the blowups come out and die down, i'll be back when its safe lol..

Odoyle

Drops combos
I could be wrong Tom but I think the Sub forums are past that (excessive trolling towards you) at this point. There's always going to be a few bad apples but overall it seems the trolling has died down a lot. Looking forward to the next Bradycast.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I just want to say that I wish I had the means and time to sit and play with Tom Brady. The short time I had with him at NRS was amazing. I learned more about MK9 and about how to approach learning and dissecting fighting games in that short time than I ever have in my entire fighting game career.

Thank you, Tom, for all you have done and all you continue to do for the MK community.
I wish you could get out more as well dude. :)

And truer words have yet to be spoken.

PS: besides the blow up i am receiving tonight, there was also a podcast with death coming out where he blows me up, but thats there was a misunderstanding at FV and death was told that i said i was blowing him up in practice games. I did not say that.. the truth is some days death won more sub vs sonya, and sometimes i did. overall, he won more games in that match, but neither one of us got "blown up" at any time.

death is a great player and i consider him a friend. i talked to death about it and we cleared everything up.

i just wanted to put this out there before they hear death blowing me up and think "wtf?".

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I could be wrong Tom but I think the Sub forums are past that (excessive trolling towards you) at this point. There's always going to be a few bad apples but overall it seems the trolling has died down a lot. Looking forward to the next Bradycast.
The less WE worry about it... the more it goes away. If you haven't noticed.
Keep finding setups and strats in the lab :). That is what we are all doing, and how we can progress the character.

lol, i am going to get BLOWN UP tonight dude. the podcast will be posted later this week.

anyway, as i said, be back for sure once its "safe to come out" lol. thanks and god bless guys.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
I think it just proves how good Kung Lao is... all the young kids I've seen make it far in these tournaments have all used Kung Lao. He can make bad reads and bad decisions and still come out on top. Plus throw in the whole being totally random b/c they don't know much and it's hard to play against them.
"Its hard to make reads against bad players because they don't know what they're doing" - Idra. I couldn't resist. lol Not saying anyone was bad though.