What's new

**WEEK 8** STBL Show questions Thread!!

S1LENT1

Shadow Priest
**WEEK 8** STBL Show questions Thread!!

http://www.justin.tv/s1lent1
Hello everyone... thank you all for watching and making each episode a success.

Week 8's show will be next MONDAY June 27th. We are going to schedule to start at 7pm pacific, 10pm eastern again.

Please post all your questions here! This makes it easier for VULCAN to find to create our re-ordered thread for the show.
**If you need to post a question within 2 hours from the show start time, please put them in the new thread that Vulcan creates each week. If you post in this thread late we more than likely will not see your question.

Week 8, and all future shows will be open to any question about the game or about any character. Please feel free to ask anything from the most basic to the most advanced. WE WILL ANSWER EVERYTHING... unless we have covered the question in depth previously.

Thank you all for watching, see you next show!!

cabibi

Noob
This question is in regards to the EX smoke bomb reset.

Alot of us were fooled by the cpu bug in practice mode, being unable to block the reset. It was later found out that a human can block it.

Will NRS be addressing this cpu bug in the latest hotfix? And is the so called "reset" still a viable threat? In other words, is smoke at a frame advantage after the bnb, where it's possible to play a mind game in order to take advantage of your opponent blocking as an oki option?

Do you know if NRS are still planing on changing Sonya's 2 back into a special mid(now that her infinite has been patched)?

Zebster

How's my volume?
I want you to make this VERY clear because some people think he is bad now:

So even after all the kung lao nerfs, NRS still think he may be the #1 character in the game, what do you think of him?

Albo

Noob
just like to say thanks to silent1 and especially tom for all the time and work you put into these shows and the mk community in general, it's very much apprecited by many people. my questions regarding raiden are...

1. should i be relying a lot less on raidens B+3,1,2 as a combo starter due to the recent updates to him?

2. because of the recent updates to raiden, should i be changing my strategies with him in any way?

3. any tips for using raiden against an advanced kitana player?

also sorry i can't be specific about this, but how would you recommend using quan chi effectively, especially against the likes of kung lao, raiden and kano now that quan chi has been patched?

evansgambit

Guardian of Outworld
Tom and Silent,

Do you guys view Johnny Cage's armour on his Enhanced Shadow Kick as over powered? Clearly NRS, wanted to give him something against the game's best zoners, but would this be overkill for his already even and favourable match ups?

Do you see this balance as fair?

Thanks, Evansgambit.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
For Tom: What do you think about the Quan Chi nerfs? You previously said he was the most underrated character, but I'm worried this could be the end for him (sorry if that's been asked and i wasn't paying attention last show)

Why is Nightwolf so unpopular with high-caliber players? Is it because of a weakness or pure coincidence?

Johnny Cage Questions:
Who do you think has the best Cage right now?

How much more potential do you think Cage has, and do you think he'll get better over time, decline over time, or stay roughly the same?

Can you give 2 or 3 characters that would be good to have as a secondary to fight Cage's bad matchups?

I noticed when people fight my cage, they'll often do an uppercut in the middle of my pressure, like say after F+33, or F+32 if I don't follow up with a jab. This is annoying because even if I block it, I still get pushed away. Is there a way around this besides just reading and punishing? Should i depend on meter for fireball traps??

When fighting Kabal as Johnny Cage, how do you handle his EX-Dash's interrupting your pressure? Should you rely on just making reads on when you think he's going to do it? Should I stick to doing strings to uninterruptable followups, such as 11, F+32, d+1? Any other things about the Cage vs Kabal MU would be great.

I've been having trouble fighting Reptile with Johnny Cage lately. I played one yesterday and had kinda a rough time. Very hard to dash block when Reptiles dash is so fast. Combined with forceballs and acid spit it's pretty tough. Also idk if it was just me being slow, but whenever I tried to punish the dash it would just be blocked, although I didn't try an uppercut. Could you do a horizontal kick to punish? Possible to punish with a combo? Any glorious matchup information you can bestow upon me?

Also, any tips fighting Raiden with Cage would be appreciated, I played my first Raiden yesterday and did alright but still got beat. I tried uppercutting after teleports like I read in the Cage MU thread but it usually got stuffed by the standard raiden strings. He'd also teleport out of my 2 1 string pressure a lot, although if you go for a grab it will grab him out of the teleport. I guess if you read he's going to do that you could do a jump back punch into block string or combo if he hits buttons? More Matchup knowledge would be amazing.

General Questions:
So I'm trying to get my little sis into this game(lol), what would you recommend as a good simple starter character for someone who has never played a fighting game?

Zebster

How's my volume?
Is there any more tactics or glitches that you are hiding from everyone so people don't hit you with them?

Sektor Question: Tom, do you think that sacrificing damage in order to get off an up-missile or homing-missile after a knockdown to force the opponent to block/react is a better option than pure damage? Also what are the benefits in the use of Sektor's flamethrower attack? I have been currently using it in the same manner of Johnny Cage's nut-punch; in that it prevents dealing with wake-up attacks after combos.

Thanks for the show S1lent and Tom, also good job in this past weekend’s tournament, I look forward to seeing how well you do during EVO.

Hey Tom and S1lent, as always, thanks for giving your time. Two questions:

1. Tom, which character do you think is better in the hands of a highly skilled player: Shang Tsung or Ermac? (Please explain in detail what makes one superior and the other inferior.)

2. What can Shang do when he gets knocked down and/or pushed into the corner besides ex soul steal? He seems to be totally boned in either of these situations.

Thanks!

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
Silent and Tom Brady, first of all thank you both for the great show you put on, I try to tune in live each week if I can.

Lately, I've been losing to Kano players (the last 2 tournaments I've been in, Kano players were my only loss, in fact). I am most comfortable using Cyber Sub and Shang Tsung, but I'm willing to use another character if those 2 are mismatched against Kano (I don't think they are). Specifically, I am having difficulty after blocked strings like f+3,b+2 (?) and 2,1,2 and blocked up balls. It seems like I can only do the parry with cyber sub for 8% (but thats risky) if they throw something out after the blocked string or upball. Is there any guaranteed punishes with either character, or safe options that I should consider?

As Shang, after a blocked f+4,3,4 x close ground skull, Kano was balling through my follow-ups; I was under the impression I was safe after the blocked close ground skull. In general, the Kano player I lost lost zoned me pretty well with knives, I had to guess what version skull to throw out, but lost to either a regular kano ball or air ball if I threw the wrong skull. Any help in this matchup for Cyber Sub or Shang would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete
(HAN)

Altsa

Jade questions:

Since Jade can reset a combo with both EX up boomerang and middle boomerang, is there a rule which boomerang to use or are they both equally good when trying to reset a combo?

Are there some special uses for Jades unused strings outside of combos such as her 4,f+3 or 1,2,2

Sektor questions:

Sektors frame trap? 1,2? You previously mentioned it, could you elaborate?

Also any help on Sektor vs Noob? Im afraid of being close to him as I fear his db3 and any missiles result in an even trade or him teleporting on reaction. occasionally I land teleport when quessing a shadow but then I feel he made a mistake and I lucked out. Is there something I fail to see?

Alithvia

Ice Clone.
Sub-Zero question:

How do you deal with a Kitana that just spams fans? On the ground, they can be traded, but when she jumps and throws them instantly, they can't be traded. You get close and she just flies to the other side of the screen and repeats.

Also, how would you deal with a dagger cancel spamming Skarlet?

i know this is late but i couldnt find the late questions thread :/

thanks to Finaeous finding on human sektor that his 122 hits further then cyborgs i found a no meter BnB for human sektor that deals 37% as opposed to 36% (sektors regular no meter BnB)

its 12b1 122 TU b21.. also a great combo to keep your opponent at zoning range is 35% is 12b1 122 TU 11b1

so the question is..
were you aware that human sektors 122 hit further then cyborgs?

also what are some great matchups for sektor? and i noticed exflamethrower on wake up is great if your being pressured, im pretty sure it has invincible frames on start up..is this true?

Tom : Are you going to play sub-Zero or Kung Lao at EVO , and could you explain your decision...???
- A good set up with sub against Kitana having trouble with her zoning
-What are your thoughts about StreetFighter X Tekken..???
- Skarlet is she S tier...???

S1lent: Are you going to main Kenshi ,or your boy Ermac...???

CHouse

Noob
Have you noticed a possible bug with Cage's Ex Shadow Kick getting interrupted by projectiles? Most of the time I've noticed it happening is when I use it on wakeup, could this be because it only has 1 point of armor and I'm somehow getting hit by 2 projectiles during the slide or is it just a bug? I wish I could go into more detail but it's only happened a few times and I can't recall exactly what happened. I just know the armor doesn't seem to be there sometimes.