What's new

**WEEK 11** STBL Show questions Thread!!

S1LENT1

Shadow Priest
**WEEK 11** STBL Show questions Thread!!

http://www.justin.tv/s1lent1
Hello everyone... thank you all for watching and making each episode a success.

Week 11's show will be next SUNDAY July 17th. We are going to schedule to start at 7pm pacific, 10pm eastern again.

Please post all your questions here! This makes it easier for VULCAN to find to create our re-ordered thread for the show.
**If you need to post a question within 2 hours from the show start time, please put them in the new thread that Vulcan creates each week. If you post in this thread late we more than likely will not see your question.

Week 11, and all future shows will be open to any question about the game or about any character. Please feel free to ask anything from the most basic to the most advanced. WE WILL ANSWER EVERYTHING... unless we have covered the question in depth previously.

Thank you all for watching, see you next show!!

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
-I'm thinking of picking up Cyber Sub seeing as he's consistently rated pretty high and hasn't been played much competitively... do you think he has a lot of untapped potential?

-Tom, I noticed you say that Mileena is better than Kitana, but I have trouble understanding why when you consider Mileena's low damage output. I think Mileena is a very good character, but could you elaborate on this?

-How would you feel if I entered a tournament as Bomb Trady?

Zebster

How's my volume?
Getting the troll question for both of you out of the way first:
If you had to choose to go out with Mileena or Sheeva, who would you choose?

Anyway: Anytime during the beta was Jax really good?
How different was Johnny Cage during the beta?
You already told us the 3 characters you're best with, who are the 3 characters you are worst with?
Why you gotta break S1lent's heart every week talking smack about Ermac?

Why do some people keep equating relatively low damage output to a character being not great? (example: Mileena)

Before Kenshi came out you told us that he was a Skarlet killer, can you tell us if Rain is a character killer and what character?

Critical thinking questions:
If the game first came out how it is currently minus Cyrax's 80%, how do you think the game would have been received, and how far do you think we'd be on tactics and match-ups?

How do you think people would think of their characters in this situation, as they wouldn't have nerfs or buffs to refer to when discussing/complaining about their character?

This question is for S1lent:
Why do you keep pronouncing Mileena's name wrong? You keep saying it with a long i instead of a short i.

Vulcan Hades only note: if you reorder the questions again can you simply put all these together in the general questions?

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Why do some people keep equating relatively low damage output to a character being not great? (example: Mileena)
I was using damage output as an example, I am asking Tom about the comparison in general. There are other aspects, like Kitana air fan combos. And, of course, I asked the question to Tom+S1lent.

1. Do Sheeva and Smoke have any safe jump setups and tactics?

2. Since the last patch's patch notes finally came out we now know that Sheeva's enhanced fireball has armor. Any good uses for this or is her meter still better spent on enhanced grabs?

3. What moves can Kitana follow up a successful D4 poke with that can't be interrupted? I know D1 is her best poke, but people generally don't block low against Kitana, so I'd like to work some D4 shenanigans into my game if there are any.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
-Is there an alternative to dash blocking? I ask this because I was facing a Kung Lao as Sub Zero online. Input lag was so bad that I could not dash block. Shit sucked.

-As Smoke: what kombos should you constantly use to check your opponent and chip? Sub Zero has his 22 and 224. Is 3,down 1,2 best or is something better?

-Do you feel anyone should be nerfed and is anyone definitely getting one?

cirkusfreaksho

All in a day's work
for skarlet...in the living guide its mentioned that her up+3 will be fixed allowing us to dash up and execute the launcher during combos or for starting combos.

1) will skarlets midscreen combos change drastically with this change?

2) when will the frama data be available for skarlet?

3) what are skarlets worst matchups and what do you suggest to give them a hard time?

4) after EVO, do you think skarlet will be played in tournaments or picked up by some of the pro's??

5) Are there any upcoming changes for sindel you know of?

TheChad_87

Bad Reputation
First of all, thanks so much to Tom for your answers to my questions regarding Cyrax last time.

This time, I wanted to ask about Jade. I've been using her quite a bit lately, and I really like the over-all feel:

1) She seems very Counter/Punish oriented. I see people state over and over again that she is a rushdown character, but I *really* don't get that vibe at all with F+2, 1, 2, Shadow Kick x2 being her only string that "feels" rushdown and it only does ~20%. What are your thoughts? I know that EN Glow helps with the rushdown as several strings can be cancelled into it and she can continue the assault, but I've fared better using her as a Counter/Punish. Am I missing something?

2) Do you fel like she has the potential in the more highly competitive settings? I've seen KrayzieBone using her in video feeds and he seems to do well, but nothing like other high level players. (Or even himself, using Kabal).

3) Is Sonya's Kiss good for anything at all? I've used it a few times and caught someone on their wake-up, but this is risky for Sonya and is the ONLY time I've found it useful, and in all honesty, hitting them with a B+2 would have worked just as well ... -_-

SpyderJ

Noob
Just have to say I love the show, you guys are awesome.

1. What would you say Smoke's safest moves are on block.

2. Its been said and shown many times before, but post OTG patch for smoke, where would you say he stands in comparison to the other higher tier characters. With the tools at his disposal i just cant in my mind see him being as bad a people often put him. Just comes down to people who are great at using him to perfect him (using aris as an example since hes one of the best ive seen using him) Also kind of looking at Chris-G with his reptile. By far the best reptile ive seen and if it wasnt for him, i dont think people would view him as as good as he is now.

3. Why is it that people still view Sub as a "slow" or "weak" Character. Between hit confirming 22 into either iceclone or ice ball, and smart play making use of all of his tools. I just dont follow the logic put behind it. ( not looking at crappy subs, more of seeing your playstyle tom and comparing it to the comments) Or would it just being a difference of poor sub players to experienced / good ones.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
What is the deal with Cyrax's teleport wake...

For instance, when I'm Johnny Cage and do a shadow kick just after Cyrax teleports, you hit his "wake" and it basically stops you dead. Was this intended?

Hey guys. As always, thanks for the show. Questions:

1. Can Kenshi do anything to extend the length and damage of his mid-screen combos? Most of them sit between 20-30% with one starter topping out at 35%. Spending meter doesn't increase the damage, either. Considering he doesn't have the opportunity to land starters as frequently as a Kabal or Sub-Zero (two other characters with similar combo damage), this seems low.

2. In your opinion, are there ANY worthwhile uses of Noob's portals in competitive fights?

3. Are you aware of any future changes coming for Quan Chi or Shang Tsung?

4. It seems like a waste of meter to try Raiden's Vicinity Blast pressure on characters whose hitbox requires the enhanced Blast. Is this true? If not, can you explain when it would be worth the meter?

5. I have a hell of a time connecting Raiden's 3, 3, 4, AFTER a Shocker. It seems like a completely random chance whether the first hit will connect or whiff. My execution is normally pretty good. Am I doing something wrong?

6. In your guide, you have a Raiden corner combo that goes 3, 3, 4, Vicinity Blast, f2, 4, d1, Shocker, f2, 4, Electric Fly. I must've done this combo 500 times in training. No matter what I do, the Electric Fly seems impossible to connect at the end. Is it a typo or am I missing something?

7. My Kindle edition of the Living Guide still hasn't updated (no Skarlet/Kenshi, etc.). Any info on this?

Zebster

How's my volume?
I was using damage output as an example, I am asking Tom about the comparison in general. There are other aspects, like Kitana air fan combos. And, of course, I asked the question to Tom+S1lent.
I wasn't referring to you. When I posted that I didn't even notice your post.

1. Once in a while I play a game online where a jump-in punch doesn't even come out during the whole match, while other inputs work decently, but obviously laggy. Is there any reason why the lost input happens specifically to a jump-in punch, or is it just a bad connection with the MK9 servers?

2. How can Sektor respond to Liu Kang's constant pressure of 213 and back 312?

doomfarmer

unorthodox
If it hasn't been brought up by the time you get to this post, Tom should talk about the recent "Raiden Block Infinite" people are debating about, and whether or not it IS, in fact, an infinite.

If NRS fixes this by putting Raiden at disadvantage after vicinity blast too... how GOOD would he still be?

I guess while you're at it, talk about the Jax one as well

Creepy00

Noob
Sup
I have questions regarding Kensh: 1st) Last week, You said Ermac isn't equal level as other characters in tourneys, mainly cause his specials can be jump over, Is the Same for Kenshi? Touney worthy? 2nd) How Safe is his zoning? 3rd)Best wake up attacks? 4th) Worst bad match ups? 5th) To Both you, Silent and Tom, Any Chance playing Kenshi in tourney after evo?

And last 2 general questions 1st) You thoughts about Va Mk community? Are we good? 2nd) I dont know if you noticed but Va Mk community is based more on SoVa players, any Tips to how start and preserve a mk community? Me with some friends are starting a mk community here on NoVa :)

.............. Sub needs a 80% combo to compete against cyrax, agree? >: )

Can you please distinguish the main differences between Mileena and Kitana, as far as general playstyle and what one excells at where another falters, etc? I've seen a lot of comments saying that Kitana is Mileena done right, and I'd love for you to give your opinion.

I usually like to play a footsie heavy style that pokes at the opponent a lot while still being aggressive, but because MK is so different than other fighters, I've had a really hard time in this game deciding on a Main. Could you recommend me some characters that fit that description(Or are closest)? For the record, the main characters I've been looking at are Johnny Cage, Cyber-Sub Zero, Baraka, Raiden, and Mileena.

How broken is Raiden with the F2~Vicinity Blat Infinite? Will Raiden win EVO with this? Possible patch to fix some of the BS before EVO?

Magnet

No Longer Sh*t Tier!
Congrats on winning the Civil War 3 Mk tourney Tom! and thanks for the stream S1lent

1) Does Mileena have any chain combos that leave her at advantage on block?
2) What is a proper way to punish Reptile's dash using Kitana? i try to punish with 2,1 (her fastest chain combo starter i think) but am unsuccessful.
3) Just curious, but what kind of a character do you think/are hoping for Rain to be? (keep away, etc). This is just a random question

S1lent and Tom:
We all know the majority of characters in MK9 are pretty viable, but in y'alls' opinions are their any characters who just can't compete period or have so hard a time competing that they aren't worth the effort in a competitive scene? (Disregarding glitches and infinites that will be patched) Most tier lists only go down to B list, so the "low tier" in this game seems pretty damn good. If there are any characters that just don't stand up to the rest of the cast in y'alls' eyes, what would y'all do to give them an edge, and do y'all think NRS will eventually improve them? They seem to be focusing on glitch fixing patches at the moment, and letting the metagame stabilize itself. (Which is a good thing.)

Same thing for any characters y'all believe are "too good". Do you think anyone needs to be toned down at all to be fair? Like Skarlet and her projectiles.

Sorry if the question has been answered terribly in depth before, I'm just curious on y'alls' opinions on MK9's overall balance as of right now. Keep up the great work, guys!

Tom: What are your predictions for top 8 at Evo?

Do you feel that the glichtes/infinites recently discovered will have an impact at Evo?

Thanks for all the time you've given to the community. I owe you a drink or two at Evo!

Kombo

Noob
Congrats on your Civil War Tourney win Tom. Great matches very entertaining to watch. Only got a couple of questions this time.

- Do you believe that the Reptile Glitch and so called Jax and Raiden infinites will be patched before EVO? I know these tactics are banned but any idea on how they are going to be enforced? It just seems like all the glitches are going to make the game look bad and thats the last thing MK9 needs.

- Also what advice can you give to young players looking to go to thier first Tournament? This is my first tournament and I want to know what I should be prepared for. I'm thinking about using Sub or Ermac if that helps any.

Bizkit

Noob
Not so serious question, yet curious.

After looking at the old gameplay videos of Sub-Zero, he had an ice parry like Cyber Sub-Zero. Did you have a chance to test this? Why was it decided to be given cyber sub-zero instead?

Just wanna know what could have been.

tom i have a friend who has a hard time fighting czs as jc

he always gets ice parried after his strings he says and doesnt know how to approach the match. he says csz out rushes him. He is not a bad player by any means and either is the csz player. Can i get some general to somewhat specific help with that matchup?

TheChad_87

Bad Reputation
Is there anyway to watch these back if you missed the live feed?
I got called in to the ER tonight because they were a doc short, so I ended up missing out. just wondering if these get recorded and archived anywhere?