What's new

Wanna Chat about UMK3?

Shaney

Noob
I notice that too many people don't use the chat that Dreemer so kindly provided for this site. I also know that he's still working on it and doesn't have a lot of time to get it done.

I'm here to suggest a chat that i've been using for the past two months and it's very good. www.mirc.com It's FREE and you NEVER HAVE TO REGISTER. I heard about this chat through a friend and it's a great way to communicate with everyone. We usually use this chat to talk about gears and set up matches, but you can really talk about anything you want. I think this can be a great way to communicate with everyone from the site and talk about MK or anything in general. I've taken it upon myself to create a channel for this.

Thanks to Sceisse for making this:
http://ultimatemk.com/vForum/showthread.php?t=3676 <--- Go to this link to see how to get to the chat the fastest and easiest way. NO EXCUSES. Even a caveman can do it...

Just to let everyone know, mIRC is one of many different IRC clients (it just happens to be one of the oldest and most popular). I'm going to give everyone a link to a comparison chart that shows you different features of a bunch of clients so you can choose for yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_IRC_clients

Great idea, Shaney. IRC is where it's at! Most PC gaming communities often organize themselves with dedicated IRC rooms.

Shaney

Noob
Just to let everyone know, mIRC is one of many different IRC clients (it just happens to be one of the oldest and most popular). I'm going to give everyone a link to a comparison chart that shows you different features of a bunch of clients so you can choose for yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_IRC_clients

Great idea, Shaney. IRC is where it's at! Most PC gaming communities often organize themselves with dedicated IRC rooms.
Thanks Stu, and yes, a lot of gamers use it.

ha I used to be all over irc when I played counter-strike. Kinda strange that we haven't been using this. Good idea shaney

Shaney

Noob
We talked about this a long time ago and I still think it is a great idea.

I already have an IRC chatroom registered and everything.
http://ultimatemk.com/vForum/showpost.php?p=20760&postcount=11

People technically don't even need a client for it because you have been able to login to IRC from the web for YEARS now, although I would recommend it too.

I have learned a large chunk of what I know about computers from people on there teaching me shit over the years when I was like 14. It really is one of the best resources on the Internet, even though there is a lot of shit that is shady on it (which I love).

The program itself is programmable through scripts which allow you to do just about anything with your computer through it. I have seen some great scripts for it, and I am sure they have only became ridiculously advanced since I last used it.

It would be very easy to allow all of the necessary 'tools' that people need to set up kaillera tournaments.
Join us Scheisse

I notice that too many people don't use the chat that Dreemer so kindly provided for this site. I also know that he's still working on it and doesn't have a lot of time to get it done.

I'm here to suggest a chat that i've been using for the past two months and it's very good. www.mirc.com It's FREE and you NEVER HAVE TO REGISTER. I heard about this chat through a friend and it's a great way to communicate with everyone. We usually use this chat to talk about gears and set up matches, but you can really talk about anything you want. I think this can be a great way to communicate with everyone from the site and talk about MK or anything in general. I've taken it upon myself to create a channel for this, when you download chat, go to Tools then Options:

Connect: simply put in your name and email, then your nickname (you can change your nick at anytime) then simply hit OK.

Next, go to Servers and pick: Random US or any random server

After that, go to Favorites and you should see a bunch of channels in alphabetical order all starting with # Go all the way down to the last one that says More, click it, and it should say: Enter a Channel Name to Join. Type in: #UMK3 If done correctly, you will join the channel. Hope to see you guys in there!
Good idea super SHANEY.

Shaney

Noob
Under Server I type in "Random US" ?
When you click on servers, you should see something like this:

IRC Servers: The first folder at the top should say quakenet, open that folder and you should see: Random Server, Random US Server, Random SE server, etc...

All you have to click on is Random US server, or any of those really should work from what i've been told.

dreemernj

Ambassador
For 2 people to see each other on IRC the two have to be on the same IRC network. So just picking Random US server is no good. If one person is on a Dalnet server and someone else is on an undernet server, the two won't see each other. It'll be like if one person is on AIM and the other is on MSN.

So definately follow Scheisse's suggestion.

I had tried to make a worthy chat but nothing is going to replace a dedicated chat server like an IRC server and I can't run my own because practically no host will allow it (IRC servers attract attacks A LOT).

I really wanted a chat that worked for everybody. The chat I made is handy because its all the main browsers plus Wii, PS3, cell phones and I think even Opera on the DS.

If anybody knows about any cheap way to rent a dedicated channel on an IRC server let me know. If I can have a chat that we can have control over, I'd grab a browser client for it and set it up as a permanent site chat.

dreemernj

Ambassador
That'd be cool but you don't need to spend money out of your own pocket.
I know, but I don't like the idea of adding a chat that some chat server can shut off when I'm away or that they hand to someone else or something like that. And I always prefer a chat where you just click chat and you are signed in too.

Ahh well. That might be asking too much.