What's new

General/Other - Ferra/Torr Vote for how we should reference Ferra/Torr in conversation; He, She, They, It?

How shall we call Ferra/Torr?

• Total voters
"Subzero's only bad matchup is them"

-is not grammatically incorrect at all. Just sounds weird because you're using passive tense (Object, Verb, Subject).

Active tense (Subject, Verb, Object) "They are Sub Zero's only bad matchup"

It sounds grammatically incorrect the way you put it, because you are using passive tense, which puts the subject of the sentence (Ferrah/Torr) AFTER the Object of the sentence (Sub Zero). So you end up having to use "is" which is a singular verb, even though the subject is plural, because the subject comes after the object. When you put subject and object in the right order, your verb always matches the singular/plurality of the subject and therefore sounds correct.
As an English tutor, I agree with Luthor on this one.

Insuperable

My mom tells me I'm pretty
Slightly above-average physical physique, but below-average mental power/slightly below-average physical physique, but above-average mental power

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
"Kitana beats Kung Lao 6-4. She controls the air so he can't dive kick and tele at will. On top of that, she dominates the footsies with her rangy normals and better pokes. Her low hitbox really troubles him too and if he makes a bad read on a spin, she takes half his life."

Now, I'm sure there's a way around it, but if I were to say the above in an oral conversation while replacing Kitana with Ferra/Torr, it would sound hella repetitive.
I suppose, but at least the person I was speaking to would know who I'm talking about, without question.

BRUTALITY

Banned
Some discussion I had with 16 bit about this. How should we call Ferra/Torr in conversation?

IMO...

My problem with "They" is if you say:
They're a great fighter.
Or
Subzero's only bad matchup is them.
Grammatically incorrect.

Argument for "she":
Ferra gives the commands and speaks in the openning battle cries.

Argument for "he":
Torr actually does the work in the fight and can actually fight by himself.
"They're great characters and a bad matchup for Sub Zero, but their matchup chart suggest they are low tier. Cyrax is your best bet against them."

Just talk about them like i would any other 2 things, this is elementary

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
I think he cuz the girl never really fights. Yea he throws her but I think it should be him. Using they is more suitable for Noob Smoke from MKD

Decay

King of the Bill
Considering the fact that one variation of FT is a single version of Torr, I would say he is more dominant. Even though she speaks for him, she is mostly just a projectile and a special move. Also when you perform a fatality on FT, only Torr gets the bad treatment.

"They're great characters and a bad matchup for Sub Zero, but their matchup chart suggest they are low tier. Cyrax is your best bet against them."

Just talk about them like i would any other 2 things, this is elementary
Except it's one character. The correct way to say this would be "They form a great character."

You are maining FT not Ferra and Torr. You would be maining 2 characters if you could only play as Ferra in one of the variations. But it's always Torr fighting with or without her.

Of course it could be argued that Torr is just a monkey servant and Ferra is commanding him. That would be awesome and a good reason to call F/T "she". Unfortunately, she doesn't seem very needed in 2 variations and she can't fight on her own. So it's a he.

EDIT: I changed my mind, the correct answer is:

Variation 1 = She
Variation 2 = He
Variation 3 = They

Last edited:

BRUTALITY

Banned
Except it's one character. The correct way to say this would be "They form a great character."

You are maining FT not Ferra and Torr. You would be maining 2 characters if you could only play as Ferra in one of the variations. But it's always Torr fighting with or without her.

At best, Ferra is comparable to a personal monkey.

Of course it could be argued that Torr is the monkey servant and Ferra is commanding him. That would be awesome and a good reason to call F/T "she". Unfortunately, she doesn't seem very needed and can't fight on her own. So it's a he.

EDIT: I changed my mind, the correct answer is:

Variation 1 = She
Variation 2 = He
Variation 3 = They
Ferra and Torr are two separate identities, not the same thing. They are two characters. They are controlled both at once. When Chang and Choi were played both at once I didnt consider them one character. It's two characters taking one spot on the roster.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
"They're Sub's only bad matchup."
"...with the tools they have."

There are no grammatical issues with they, that's the one we should use because it's...you know, two people.