What's new

Very Frustrated With This GAME!!!

knight x1868

Blue Lantern Corps
I can't start to explain how frustrated I am with this game!

I'm not getting any better. No matter how much time I spend in practice mode, it's not happening.
Think I'm just going to hang it up. Try to get help from this "community" and people online and it seems like EVERYONE is only out for the easy win. I don't know what I'm doing well and what I need to work on. Even if I wanted to start over I'd have no idea where to begin...

Honestly. It would be a lot easier and my inability to play well would be a much easier pill to swallow if everyone's attitude wasn't so piss poor online.

Hopefully I can find some real help on here and not just a link to a video online or another web address. I want to get better. Things keep going the way they are, I'm trading this sucker in and putting my money to another use...

Seapeople

This one's for you
You came to the right place. My biggest advice would be to find people around your area who play offline. I don't ever play randoms when I go online though...just people who I know from the forums. Also if you can find one character that really clicks with your style, stick with them so that you can learn to deal with all their problems. Hopefully you'll find that the game is worth your time :)

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
It would help if you posted videos of your matches. Since you probably can't, just find a particular group of people to play with online from this site, and only play them. I can tell by your perception of online players that you stick to playing randoms. That is detrimental to your skills.

Also note that skill is part knowledge. If you don't fully understand the mechanics of the game, you will never get better. You need to be aware of things like counterpoking, anti-airing, spacing, and footsies in general. These are things that you develop through experience by playing better players than you (mind you, not the best players until you're ready), and observing everything they do. If you haven't already, I would advise learning frame data too. Offline, the entire game revolves around understanding it. Online, a lot of it is wasted knowledge, but you'll still gain a general understanding of what moves/tech/strategies should work and what shouldn't.

Lastly, remember that this is a game; if you're not having fun at the moment, I suggest you take a break for a little while until the steam goes away.

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
My best advise for you bro is to get aquainted with the people in your character forums they will be the people who you can learn most tricks of the trade from. Also learn how to adequately use every single one of your normals. Learn every singe lone of your strings even though you may not use a good bit of them. Learn how to space out those moves, and what cancels from where and how does that effect your positioning on the screen, how much damage are you putting out, in what situations are certain normals or strings more optimal ect.

Secondly I would worry about my combos. There is plenty of knowledge in your character forumns and informational videos that can teach you swag combos, practical combos, situational combos, and gimmick set-up combos. You will need all of those to be successful. Once you have a handle on your character try to learn what other characters strings are so that you have a knowledge of what levels are they gonna hit you on. I only play scorpion, but I know what every characters buttons look like due to looking at their forums and looking at their info. That might be the way for you, but experience is the best teacher for some, and you can learn what these moves look like in the training room.

Third get REAL match-up experience by playing people either form here, or by playing randoms online. Anything you learn will be great whether it's how to deal with scrubs to, how to counter poke, how a set-up works, what options does a character have, what is their game plan, ect. You can learn alot from every fight if you take the time to analyze what is going right and what is going wrong.

Lastly this is just my advise though, try your hardest I mean your hardest to learn to respect the way this game is meant to be played. No matter what you can get away with online, or with your friends play the game like you are playing a serious opponent, and things will become habit. If you play the game an abuse lag, or scrub tactics then you will be blown up by people who know how to deal with those badly. Always try to play the game honestly, and you'll be rewarded with improvement. Heck if you ask any one of your mods or fellow mainers they might gladly take you under their wing. I would if had the time, ask @Chongoisfree, @SgtReed, and Joker8174 those guys are good and are knowledgeable and friendly. Welcome to Tym bro, and I hope you experience gets better.

BEENEEWEENEES

Thou shalt be slain!
No matter how much time I spend in practice mode, it's not happening.
practice mode will only get you so far, especially considering how lackluster MK9's practice features are. you need to play matches to get better. practice to get your bread n' butter combos down and then just PLAY. stay out of practice mode unless you're trying to learn combos or fucking around with new characters.

Think I'm just going to hang it up. Try to get help from this "community" and people online and it seems like EVERYONE is only out for the easy win. I don't know what I'm doing well and what I need to work on... ...Honestly. It would be a lot easier and my inability to play well would be a much easier pill to swallow if everyone's attitude wasn't so piss poor online.
if you can, stop playing online. head over to the regional matchmaking area and find people to play with offline in your area. this is the best and quickest way to get better with mortal kombat.

knight x1868

Blue Lantern Corps
It's not a matter of playing with one character. I can know all the combos in the world and still not be able to use them effectively in the game.

I work and go to school full time. I don't have the time or money to go to a regional tournament.

BEENEEWEENEES

Thou shalt be slain!
I work and go to school full time. I don't have the time or money to go to a regional tournament.
i didn't say tournament, nor did i even mean to imply that. i just meant going over to play MK9 with some players for a few hours some random night that they're gathering. atlanta used to have biweekly get-togethers on wednesday nights with our players, many of whom are juggling full time jobs and school and/or families. if you want to get better, it's the best way.

if it's completely out of the question for you, you should try to record some videos of your matches and post them up for us to see so we can tell you what you're doing right and doing wrong.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
theres a lot more than combo's you gotta learn, frame data is probably one of the most important things u'll learn, but thats advanced stuff. Theres also footsies and pressure and zoning. Mindgames and baiting are also the other things u have to learn.

IMO there are 3 basic things and 2 advanced things you need to know about mk that will improve your game play drastically. The first 3 are meter management(knowing when to break and when not to), Anti Airs(don't let people jumpin on you for free all day long), and good execution(learn your combos and don't drop them). The 2 advanced things are counter poking and spacing. Counter poking is knowing how to punish pokes with a combo or just poke them back. Spacing is knowing more or less what to do with your character according to where you are on the screen and who you are facing. The first 3 are easy and universal to the cast, the other 2 come threw experience and knowing the match up. Master these things and you should be able to fight almost any match except for those really bad matches.

D

Deleted member 9158

just play people from TYM! if you're on XBL add my GT : Lemon1991.

I'll help you out as much as I can!

EGP_Shoryuken Good post. I have some questions if that's okay. At what ranges can I be at in relation to my opponent (and the stage) when performing a neutral jump punch on his forward jump? Also what are neutral jump kicks useful for?

knight x1868 I understand your struggle. Here's my novice suggestions: These videos helped me out a lot. Take a look at them and you will get a better grasp of how the game works.

Also mix up the way you play by trying to be unpredictable. This means don't keep using the same pattern of attacks, even if you find that they work on your opponent. Because a good player will catch on. You always want to keep someone guessing what you'll do next.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
You are taking it too seriously.

I'm not getting any better.
Yes you are. With every fight you lose, you have the opportunity to think back what you got beaten by, and find out what to do against it.

No matter how much time I spend in practice mode, it's not happening.
Then you are rage-mashing. Don't. Losing while thinking makes you improve. Losing while nerdraging at your controller just makes you break that thing eventually. It costs money. Don't.

Think I'm just going to hang it up. Try to get help from this "community" and people online and it seems like EVERYONE is only out for the easy win.
A lot of people online, are. Find offline players in your region or make online friends who are willing to help you. I'm region locked to PSN, Europe. But if you are European, just add GLoRToR and I'll be happy to tell you what I believe could use some improvement.

I don't know what I'm doing well and what I need to work on. Even if I wanted to start over I'd have no idea where to begin...
That's what this site is for. Just learn to ask the right questions.

Honestly. It would be a lot easier and my inability to play well would be a much easier pill to swallow if everyone's attitude wasn't so piss poor online.
It's not their attitude that matters, but your own. You want to improve, and you realize that you lose because you need to improve.

Hopefully I can find some real help on here and not just a link to a video online or another web address. I want to get better. Things keep going the way they are, I'm trading this sucker in and putting my money to another use...
Just calm down first, man. It's a game. There are many more things in life to be concerned with and if this is your greatest grief, stop and think how lucky you are.

EGP_Shoryuken Good post. I have some questions if that's okay. At what ranges can I be at in relation to my opponent (and the stage) when performing a neutral jump punch on his forward jump? Also what are neutral jump kicks useful for?
I'm not sure how to answer what you are asking me, but as far as I know NJP should only be done to anti air your opponent. A forward jump punch would depend on what you plan on doing. If your going to do a jump in punch you would have to be with in forward jumping range of your opponent. If you want to do a deep jump in kick then you would need to be further back so you can hit with the tip of your foot as your about to land. With a deep kick what you are basically trying to do is to hit your opponents toes with the tip of your foot as you land. As far as NJK, I've never found any use for them besides trying to avoid a projectile or suspend your self in the air a few frames longer. If your thinking of using a NJK to anti air your opponent, you might as well go for a NJP where you can get a full combo off of it.

aj1701

Noob
theres a lot more than combo's you gotta learn, frame data is probably one of the most important things u'll learn, but thats advanced stuff. Theres also footsies and pressure and zoning. Mindgames and baiting are also the other things u have to learn.
This is so true. I've had matches were my opponent knew his combos, had his execution in them perfect and still lost to my combo dropping ass. All because they didn't know how to get me into their combos our get anything going.

Forcing a mistake and getting your opponent to make one I think its more important than combos.

Gh0sty

ばかみたいに無料
What character(s) do you play and what system do you have? I'm on PSN, so add ghostface777o0o if you want to practice anything. None of my wins are easy lol.

Sent from my jailbroken iPhone using a pirated copy of Tapatalk

MK_Al

Noob
Start playing for fun, not for ego. Every loss is a chance to better understand your mistakes. Analyse the reasons for your loss. Did you get anti aired permanently? Did you run into combos? Problems with getting in? Can't block the enemys strings proper? Dropped your combos? Problems with certain tactics?...

seems like EVERYONE is only out for the easy win
There is no easy win. There are tools and tactics, and there are ways to counter them. When you eat the same trick 20 times in a row, why should your opponent stop using it? Everyone plays to win. Find ways around those tactics!

but first things first...
I can know all the combos in the world and still not be able to use them effectively in the game
Step 1:
Start with one, maybe two characters you like to play. Become an expert on those. It's useless to learn 10 characters if you can't even master one. Join the character forum for further help.

Step 2:
Go into practise mode and learn two combos. Don't waste your time in learning more until you master these two. Mastering means if I was to wake you up at 4 in the morning you get 9 out of 10 combos done. Play the computer on a low level. Aim at using these combos, so you'll get used to throw them out in a "real" match. Play the computer on a higher level. Aim at using these combos, you'll get used to throw them out when there's more pressure on you. Stay relaxed, the more tensed you are the more combos will be dropped. Learn to hitconfirm!

Step 3:
Learn setups! Again, one or two, until you master them. Play the computer for practise, but beware, the AI won't react to mindgames... There are tons of setups in the character forums.

Step 4:
Stop jumping and learn to anti air. Play the computer and concentrate on anti airing to get used to it. Every time you eat a JIP, its your fault. You either can't anti air properly, shooting projectiles from an unsafe distance, or doing other unsafe stuff.

Step 5:
Learn to punish proper. Learn your punish or whiffpunish combos, find out when and how to use it best. Again, start simple and master them before going for the 105% cyrax punish

Step 6:
Completely know the properties of your moves and strings! Are they safe on block? Do they leave you open for counter attempts? At what distance do they leave your opponent on hit and on block? Can you combo afterwards? Do they start low, high, overhead? How fast do they start? At what distance do you have to start them? Remember, you don't always need to be in your opponents face to hit him! As a rule of thumb, the faster the move the shorter it's range. After most strings there's a way to follow up, depending on how you opponent might react. Go to practise mode and think it through.

Step 7:
Learn frame data. Not all of them, but startup frames for 1,2,3,4, d1, d4, as well as block and hit advantage for your favourite strings. Its not your opponents fault when you get hit trying to combo out of frame disadvantage.

Step 8:
Try to find people to play offline. Online is a different game. Also, people are willing to share a lot of knowledge. You'll improve greatly, i promise.

Step 9:
Analyse your opponent, find his weakness and exploit it. Does he jump a lot? Anti air him. Does he anti air you? Stop jumping or use jump kicks. Does he like to block low? Try more overheads. Does he like to block high? Use low starters. Does he seem to block everything, go for throws. Does he outzone you? Learn to blockdash. Does he pressure you? Poke out. Condition him. Play it smart! Provoke jump ins by keeping jump distance, provoke projektiles by keeping far distance. Dont hold on to tactics that dont work! You get punished permanently for shooting projectiles? Stop using them. You get punished for certain strings? You are using them wrong.

Good luck!

I'm not getting any better. No matter how much time I spend in practice mode, it's not happening.
Think I'm just going to hang it up. Try to get help from this "community" and people online and it seems like EVERYONE is only out for the easy win. I don't know what I'm doing well and what I need to work on. Even if I wanted to start over I'd have no idea where to begin...

Keep ya head up homey!! If you are on psn add me (xFriction_Burnx) I'm not a pro but pretty decent and I don't mind taking losses to help out. Also, find someone to record your matches and post here like already stated. I'll be on tonite @8pm Eastern in the TYMSALT room recording ft5's (http://testyourmight.com/threads/s-a-l-t-weekly-2-the-return-of-the-sodium.24115/).... If you're on xbox ask BDMao88 nicely and he might record a set with you.

knight x1868

Blue Lantern Corps
Thanks for all the feedback.

I'm seeing a lot of "calm down" and "it's just a game" post...

You're right. But I don't like being mediocre. I could care less about winning. I don't want to be the guy who sits in a corner spamming projectiles and playing defense the entire game. I also think some of you may have misinterpreted my initial post about combos. I know it's not all about combos. I want to become an overall better player. I can't do that dependent of a couple of combos I practiced for a day.

All in all, I feel like it is a bit justified to say that people playing MK are selfish and only looking out for wins. Because for them it is an "ego" thing. But... At this point... after playing again today. I still feel like I'm just wasting my time.

I'm on XBL. If you see me online and have a mic and want to give some immediate feedback add me knight x1868. Otherwise don't bother. I done playing people who want to "show me moves" and get vengeance wins.

Umm, first, defense and spamming is good, if you can legit use it to win with it, Lol. Don't think there's any specific playstyle or rule book that's you're supposed to abide by, but there is a meta game in the game, so you'll run into people especially with online factored in that do random stupid shit and win, and use spam was an online advantage.

Just play more, you didn't state any of your problems or what you're having trouble with...

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
Thanks for all the feedback.

I'm seeing a lot of "calm down" and "it's just a game" post...

You're right. But I don't like being mediocre. I could care less about winning. I don't want to be the guy who sits in a corner spamming projectiles and playing defense the entire game. I also think some of you may have misinterpreted my initial post about combos. I know it's not all about combos. I want to become an overall better player. I can't do that dependent of a couple of combos I practiced for a day.

All in all, I feel like it is a bit justified to say that people playing MK are selfish and only looking out for wins. Because for them it is an "ego" thing. But... At this point... after playing again today. I still feel like I'm just wasting my time.

I'm on XBL. If you see me online and have a mic and want to give some immediate feedback add me knight x1868. Otherwise don't bother. I done playing people who want to "show me moves" and get vengeance wins.
Im gonna hop on and help you bro Quandaghost is my tag send me an invite and I will help you. Anyone who i have hepled can tell you idc about winning or losing so far as you learn the game and understand it.

MK_Al

Noob
All in all, I feel like it is a bit justified to say that people playing MK are selfish and only looking out for wins. Because for them it is an "ego" thing
All in all it is not even a bit justified to say that people playing MK are selfish, since you have a whole forum sharing their tactics and tricks, discussing matchups and putting a bunch of effort into creating up to 60min tutorial videos.
And if you could care less about winning, and want to become a better player, well then keep looking for those projectile spammer and learn to blockdash or find other tactics to beat them.

And concerning the "only looking out for wins" thing, read this very carefully: http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/intermediates-guide.html

D

Deleted member 9158

I played you for a bit today, and I noticed you like Kitana. You've probably heard this a million times already, but go to her forum and look over the threads there.

You're a beginner, and don't let getting beaten up get you down. We all get our asses handed to us (I did for a good half hour with redeyes today. Did I give up? No. I stuck around for the MU experience, cause he has a wicked Sonya and I have little MU experience with good sonyas. We must've played at least 10 games, none of which I won. Plus online is a bad place to learn how to play this game.

Anyways, hit up the practice mode, and keep grinding. Check out the links people have posted here, they will help you learn the game greatly. Most importantly, DONT GIVE UP! :)

knight x1868

Blue Lantern Corps
All in all it is not even a bit justified to say that people playing MK are selfish, since you have a whole forum sharing their tactics and tricks, discussing matchups and putting a bunch of effort into creating up to 60min tutorial videos.
And if you could care less about winning, and want to become a better player, well then keep looking for those projectile spammer and learn to blockdash or find other tactics to beat them.

And concerning the "only looking out for wins" thing, read this very carefully: http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/intermediates-guide.html
I think it is justifiable. And that's not to say that I don't appreciate the amount of help I am getting here.

When the majority of people you play with and that talk about helping you don't do much than play you without any given feedback - that's selfish. I haven't seen that here. The people playing MK are very selfish. The people who know how to play - not so much.

redeyes

Button Masher
I played you for a bit today, and I noticed you like Kitana. You've probably heard this a million times already, but go to her forum and look over the threads there.

You're a beginner, and don't let getting beaten up get you down. We all get our asses handed to us (I did for a good half hour with redeyes today. Did I give up? No. I stuck around for the MU experience, cause he has a wicked Sonya and I have little MU experience with good sonyas. We must've played at least 10 games, none of which I won. Plus online is a bad place to learn how to play this game.

Anyways, hit up the practice mode, and keep grinding. Check out the links people have posted here, they will help you learn the game greatly. Most importantly, DONT GIVE UP! :)
<3 but lbsh my sonya isnt that good.