What's new

Guide - Venomous Venomous General Discussion Thread

What are people using for blockstrings? Or have we abandoned that concept altogether?

Venomous is dope but I haven't had the chance to put as much time in as I want with D'vorah. She seems quite unsafe. Also, I wish d3 was a low.

Mikotto

Boon Pls.
What are people using for blockstrings? Or have we abandoned that concept altogether?

Venomous is dope but I haven't had the chance to put as much time in as I want with D'vorah. She seems quite unsafe. Also, I wish d3 was a low.
113 is neutral on block. If the first two strikes hit you can use 11b2 instead for more damage. But I don't think that that is how you're supposed to be playing D'vorah. You want to play some serious footsies and stack poison with your D3, D4, and F22. I try to stay out of range completely and only really go for big combos if they wiff something.

Mikotto

Boon Pls.
I've noticed something going over a recording of a combo. It appears that venom is subject to damage scaling as well? Sorry if that sounds obvious, but I just figured that the damage was independent. (But now that I think about it, that would be pretty busted.) If you watch the video below closely you can see that he poison only does about 1% in the combo, even though I land 3 ovipositor hits. Anybody else think this is a little strange, since a single hit outside of a combo will do 1.5%?

qspec

Noob
Hey all, this is my first MK that I'm hoping to take some kind of serious. I'm keen on D'vorah, and I especially like Venomous.

That said, how do we really play her? Her chains aren't really confirmable, so I find myself stuck using a handful of safe combos (11, f11, 21, f22) and safe pokes. Meanwhile we miss out on the interesting kombos (11b2, anything into db4, 212, f112) that have meaningful application as launchers, overheads, or high/lows.

So I've been playing her as a vortex character with db1 and saving the fun and interesting combos (and the ungodly minus on block db4) for punishes.

Her poison only ever seems partially relevant since I'm often unable to stack it at neutral outside of a couple d3 and d4.

Am I just playing this wrong? I'm super new to MK, so I might not even be playing the game "correctly", so any help with her would go appreciated.

Mikotto

Boon Pls.
Hey all, this is my first MK that I'm hoping to take some kind of serious. I'm keen on D'vorah, and I especially like Venomous.

That said, how do we really play her? Her chains aren't really confirmable, so I find myself stuck using a handful of safe combos (11, f11, 21, f22) and safe pokes. Meanwhile we miss out on the interesting kombos (11b2, anything into db4, 212, f112) that have meaningful application as launchers, overheads, or high/lows.

So I've been playing her as a vortex character with db1 and saving the fun and interesting combos (and the ungodly minus on block db4) for punishes.

Her poison only ever seems partially relevant since I'm often unable to stack it at neutral outside of a couple d3 and d4.

Am I just playing this wrong? I'm super new to MK, so I might not even be playing the game "correctly", so any help with her would go appreciated.
Like I said a few posts up venomous is not about the long, high damage, swaggy combos. If you want that D'vorah play swarm queen. Venomous is all about footsies. Stay right on the fringe of their range and dance in and out of it mixing up your overhead poke and low poke. If you can bait out an attack from them you can usually get in a f44 into a decent combo. But the venomous game plan is to poke you down, make you back up into a corner, then keep you there with df1 and db3.

Hey guys quick question regarding Dvorahs best meterless punish in venomous.

The best i can get is 28% + 1.30% x 4 ticks (i think, cant really tell if there is a 5th one in there) for 33-34% total.

I'm really getting into Venomous, I enjoy the counter poking and defensive aspect of it. Wish poison would kill on magic pixel. Oh and I found out Noxious stink gas can kill even if on last hit.
I just love this character in general.
yeah especially if you can pin someone down in a corner. i love her bug spray <3 <3 <3

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Ok. So tonight was my first night going full on Venemous against MrSoloLobo and I just love it so much.

So, question. I was canceling a ton of my strings into the spray. It seemed safe, is it? It seemed punishable if I held it for its entire duration.

I love being able to beat my opponents without landing a single combo, lol.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
Ok. So tonight was my first night going full on Venemous against MrSoloLobo and I just love it so much.

So, question. I was canceling a ton of my strings into the spray. It seemed safe, is it? It seemed punishable if I held it for its entire duration.

From my understanding it's unsafe if you hold it all the way. So I guess the mix up comes from how long will you hold it.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled

It is not safe, it is something like -17 on block. And most strings don't cancel into it safely, so you can be option selected out of if before you even cancel into spray.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart

It -25 unless you EX it. But you can always hold it and make it like -1.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
It is not safe, it is something like -17 on block. And most strings don't cancel into it safely, so you can be option selected out of if before you even cancel into spray.
Damn. So when do you normally use it? In juggles for the standing reset? Stuff wake ups in the corner?

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
F112 is the only string that cancels into it without having a gap that can be reversal'd through. Also on a funny note, f112~exBB does 13.8% chip on block. (Which again, can't be reversal'd between the 2 and bug burst)Which pretty much means if your opponent is down to the wire and you're in range of f1, be prepared to get chip to death ;)

qspec

Noob
Yeah Ducky looks like the way Venomous has to be played. Most of what we have is super unsafe (I'm not even fully comfortable with df1 cancels because if they read it... -17 is a big counter combo), so we just have to do some light Ovi pokes and hope that the poison damage adds up.

I'm actually a little bummed out about how she plays because I want to use db4 all of the freaking time... but in most cases it is relegated to punish combos only since it is crazy punishable on block and not confirmable from almost any reasonable string.

What strings are people using at neutral? Outside of d3 and d4 pokes, I'm almost exclusively using F11 and F224.

qspec

Noob
It's hard to argue with that.

I think Venom has no real growth potential. I'm really interested in seeing if BM has potential.

My speculation is that SQ will be the best though. Ways to make shit safe, high damage, and a vortex that leads to said damage.