What's new

Discussion Variation Tier List 12/06/16

Do you agree with this Tier-list on which it is based? (non public vote)

• Agree

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Somewhat Agree

Votes: 35 36.8%
  • Disagree

Votes: 27 28.4%
  • Strongly Disagree

Votes: 28 29.5%

• Total voters

Geoffmeister

PS4/EU Ermac main
and did the gunslinger placement stem from what Sonic stated in his video?
What did he say in his video? Or.. Which video?

edit: I assume it's this one. Just judge for yourself, starts on Gunslinger around 20 minute mark

good list - personally id put all of takedas varations in the same tier- whether that be S-A is give or take - also where-ever they ended up - id put shaolin in that same tier.

but one thing i dont agree with is the downtoning . unless we are talking about damage wise - some are just fine even with the dirt they have
I'm not very sure about Lasher's placement, he could definitely be higher. Shaolin sort of same thing, maybe S+ is exaggerated, but not lower than A+.
Any example? I'm not talking about changing the game drastically, damage reduction is one thing I'd like to see as well, and the variation diversity in playstyle should also remain, I just think that many variations need to make sacrifices in order for the game to be at it's best and bring out more neutral situations.

Marksmen and Gunslinger should be pretty close.

Do people know what Marksmen can do lol?

Those safe meterless 50/50s. :/

I agree that Gunslinger is probably a bit better, but man. Man bruh.
The A tier really has very strong potential, but will eventually run into a wall. I could be wrong about Marksman but Outlaw has really good things going for him too. Tough one for me.

Last edited:

Generalbit

The blade of osh-tekk is stale.
I just wanna say this was a very neat post. Though I do disagree with a lot of your choices, I appreciate the time you took to organize yourself. I wish everyone put effort into making their posts look as clean as this :)

Zaccel

Noob
Kudos for giving this huge undertaking the college try, but I think the sheer number of variations and potential matchups are a huge headache in making a hard tier list.

I'm also of the opinion that Deceptive is stronger than Nimble. I'm curious as to why Noxious is in A, since it's not terribly different from variationless.

omooba

fear the moobs
Deceptive has:
- Safe and plus 50/50s.
- Plus cancels that lead you into invisible pressure.
- Hitconfirmable plus low.
- Invisibility.
- Flash parry that lets you safely get out of pressure and start pressuring.
- A hit of invulnerabilty, huge comeback factor for clutch situations.

nimble has:
- Slightly more damage.
- Unguarranteed armor breaking setups for slow wake ups.

Theres no contest lol
all corner set ups for a bar are guaranteed dude all of em. idk i guess it's an opinion think. personally i luv the corner carry nimble gets

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Hat Trick doesn't do well with 50% of his MU

For a character that can't apply pressure that well, anything he does has 50% chance of system failure is far worse than any of these characters listed in the A

Hat Trick is on the same tier as the worse characters in the game, which is B- or B at the best, this thread is just pointless anyway.

In order to have a variation tier list, you need MU chart from each one of them.

Hi, I main Ancestral and you forgot to even put him on the list(or at least i don't see him). I think he belongs a tier below Johnny and the top 5.

Fellow_Swordsman

"One mind, one blade."
I honestly believe Marksman is Erron's second best variation (maybe even his best), so I would like to know why it's not as high as the others. Overall, nice list, but I do disagree with some of the choices.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
What planet do you live on where KW is better than Dragon Fangs? Since DF got those buffs some time ago + the MKXL run buff and the OTG damage nerf, it's no contest on which is better.

Dragon Fangs is superior in pretty much every way. Has more plus frames, more safety, mix-ups with bf2, more combo-ability, and more damage.

Was does KW have now? A not terribly hard to avoid unblockable with shit OTG damage and a whiff punish move that's merely "OK" at best with a useless MB version.

Element_

The First Element
I fight with a pretty decent Gunslinger player on a regular basis and there is no way it's S+ man. Why is there even S+ anyway? S tier should be the top. Also, Kobjutsu is Tanya's worst variation. I wouldn't rate it better than the others.

SM StarGazer

The voice of reason in a Sea of Salt
HAHAHA. Awww damn ya'll this is new. A-Tier isnt tornament viable? You just crossed out like....HALF.....the high level players today. BTW: Kitana has won more majors then that A++++KKxXSSGSSB S+TIERcrap. Jesus people..Fox has shown the light oh lost ones. Think not of overheads and lows. But of both...+KAPUUU+..remember young dumb-dumbs, for it is not the moveset that makes the man, but the MINDSET...................to use the correct MOVESETS THAT LEAD INTO DEATH. Boom. 2112VICTORY.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Subtract each tier by one because there's no S+ character in this game right now.

As for specifics I'm gonna only comment on everything I know fairly well so here goes

- Gunslinger is way too high. (-2 tiers)
- Hellfire, Hunter, Nimble, Hollywood, Tempest, Jacqui, Kenjutsu, Balanced, Royal Storm, and Heavy Weapons are too high. (-1 tier)
- Thunder God, Acidic, and Outlaw are probably a bit high (Ehh)

- Fisticuffs, Dragon Fangs, Lackey, Blood God are way too low (+2 tiers)
- Stunt Double, Piercing, Tigrar Fury, Sun God, Pumped Up, Marksman, Swarm Queen, Sorcerer, Summoner, Grandmaster, Wrestler, Spectral, Lasher(Actually all of Takeda), Relentless, Unstoppable, Master of Souls, and Mystic, are all too low (+1 tier)
- Spec ops and Boujitsu are probably a bit low (Ehh).

Like honestly how are you gonna put Marksman all the way down in essentially bottom tier and put Gunslinger in top, especially after the buff which now allows him to link nearly all possible Gun Cancels into a full combo, making his neutral game far better than Outlaw and most likely equal to Gunslinger. Then there's the fact of him having safe 50/50s, Gun cancel mind games, better conversions, and way way more damage.