What's new

Unpopular Opinion : If they increase dash speed and other movement options, the entire game will break and become unplayable.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
The combo system in MK1 is extremely fluid. Even an old muggle like myself was able to do awesome meterless combos and hit confirms into crazy stuff... and this is only the beginning. Once we have all the other moves available (kameos) there will be a really astounding amount of combo potential and more importantly fluidity.

I see a lot of people asking for movement speed increases of some kind. Something I personally think is not needed at all, but still lets just say they do chaneg this.

Any movement increases will make all those combos that are currently doing 30-40+ suddenly be able to link into even larger combos. I mean think about all those combos that just aren't quit linking.. and then you go.. man I wish the dash was faster or w/e... but what I think people are not thinking about is that this will mean the combo abilities will be so insane, and so over powered that there will be no way it can be balanced or even fun beyond one touch death.

I have a feeling the movement speed is actually by design to LIMIT the player from busting out 88% combos that carry from corner to corner, and I worry that the pressure to make the game "faster" will actually make the game a broken mess.

Amirluc

Kaballin'
Well that’s what the majority of people want. It makes the game more entertaining than it already is. Most just want a slight tweak to the dashes and sped up animations for grabs and kameos. That’s not asking for too much

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
but the ability to move faster and make those links.. will mean the combos will be insane.. touch of death.. miss one block and game over. People will be busting out combos that carry you from one corner of the stage to the other and dropping 80+ damage.

I think the "speed" is intentional to limit the combos.

I feel like they could increase ground movement speed without creating giant combos. Did wave dashing in mk11 lead to bigger combos?? I know it didn't have kameo's but its my understanding you can't use kameo's while blocking. Slightly turn up the recovery off a dash block...no?

At the very least I hope they increase walk speed.

But you make a good point with the kameo's and movement. Really hope NRS didn't put themselves between a rock and a hard place here. The footsie game will be super lame if you feel like you're walking through deep mud all the time.

Ilthuain

Lost in a labyrinth of egoism
I largely agree.

The speed is definitely intentional. Major changes to move speed would break the system. Slight changes to the "snappiness" of the dashes and faster transitions out of throw animations are all that are needed (and likely all they will do). There are ways to make it "feel" faster while keeping it balanced.

At the very least I hope they increase walk speed.
I feel like they could increase ground movement speed without creating giant combos.
So a combo that currently doesn't juggle because you're short by 10%, then you increase walk speed by 10% and BAM!! you get a juggle that wasn't there previously.

They've been working on this game for years, i think by now they've done a lot of tweaking to figure out how they want movement to work.

Slight changes to the "snappiness" of the dashes and faster transitions out of throw animations are all that are needed (and likely all they will do).
This makes the most sense.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The combo system in MK1 is extremely fluid. Even an old muggle like myself was able to do awesome meterless combos and hit confirms into crazy stuff... and this is only the beginning. Once we have all the other moves available (kameos) there will be a really astounding amount of combo potential and more importantly fluidity.

I see a lot of people asking for movement speed increases of some kind. Something I personally think is not needed at all, but still lets just say they do chaneg this.

Any movement increases will make all those combos that are currently doing 30-40+ suddenly be able to link into even larger combos. I mean think about all those combos that just aren't quit linking.. and then you go.. man I wish the dash was faster or w/e... but what I think people are not thinking about is that this will mean the combo abilities will be so insane, and so over powered that there will be no way it can be balanced or even fun beyond one touch death.

I have a feeling the movement speed is actually by design to LIMIT the player from busting out 88% combos that carry from corner to corner, and I worry that the pressure to make the game "faster" will actually make the game a broken mess.
What ppl are asking, is better movement, speed up animations in throws, and remove a bit of the hit stop, of the strings, and maybe reduce the float of the air jumps, this doesn't change frame data and increase comboability or damage, just cuts through a lot of the cinematic this game has

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
I can tell you right now that if the movement is dogshit, then no 250% combo is ever going to matter because players wont get that far enough into the game to find out. I'm the only MK fan in my whole friend group, and every time a new one comes out, they try it out with me, and every single one of them are put off by the clunky, slow movement. When you're coming from Street Fighter, Marvel, Tekken, KoF, etc, MK movement feels incredibly stiff. And its a massive barrier for Fighting Game players who aren't already MK fans.

And you already have nothing to worry about as far as "combos being too OP with good movement", because thats what combo gravity is for. The more times you hit your opponent in a juggle, the faster they fall to the ground. If you watch NinjaKilla's Liu Kang corner combo, it goes on forever and ends with an uppercut. When that uppercut connects they fly cartoonishly fast and far away.

Increasing the movement and letting players get an extra jab or two onto their juggles isn't going to break the game. Trust lol.

They've been working on this game for years, i think by now they've done a lot of tweaking to figure out how they want movement to work.
You could have said the same for MK11, and when the beta came out everyone hated how it moved and NRS ended up changing it. Just because NRS likes it, doesn't mean its audience will like it.

Kratilim

Noob
Three things to perhaps something to keep in mind.

First is the stress test is an older build content and balance-wise. So who knows what might have changed or will change up until release.

Second, something to always keep in mind when reading feedback online for any subject, is that you never read or hear hardly anything from satisfied happy people. Most comments online are made by unhappy people. Most people don't go online purely to say how great something is. They think "This is awesome" and go on with their lives.

And third... Mortal Kombat is a super successful franchise. But about 80 to 90% of the people buying it will be casuals that mainly play single player that likely only play online once or twice and don't really care for a 5% increase in speed. Those players like spectacle. Its what MK is known for. Gore and spectacle. I'm not saying that players here don't matter. Not at all. But the majority of players don't really care for the 5% speed increase or not. They want to see what's going on. What kano does in his throw. etc.

just my 3 cents...

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
There's always a day 1 patch. It doesn't make sense to me to assume if they change dash speeds they'll change nothing else. They could change literally anything from the stress test, damage scaling, jumping, special moves, frame data, move properties like launching, kameos start up, cool down, hit advantage. Literally anything it's like day -80, speculation sure but this feels like over specualtion

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Three things to perhaps something to keep in mind.

First is the stress test is an older build content and balance-wise. So who knows what might have changed or will change up until release.

Second, something to always keep in mind when reading feedback online for any subject, is that you never read or hear hardly anything from satisfied happy people. Most comments online are made by unhappy people. Most people don't go online purely to say how great something is. They think "This is awesome" and go on with their lives.

And third... Mortal Kombat is a super successful franchise. But about 80 to 90% of the people buying it will be casuals that mainly play single player that likely only play online once or twice and don't really care for a 5% increase in speed. Those players like spectacle. Its what MK is known for. Gore and spectacle. I'm not saying that players here don't matter. Not at all. But the majority of players don't really care for the 5% speed increase or not. They want to see what's going on. What kano does in his throw. etc.

just my 3 cents...
Exactly, so don't balance for them because they're buying the game whether wave dashing is in or not. The gore and story mode are what make the bulk initial sales, but a satisfied community are what ensure the game sells continuously afterwards. If MK1 is fucking sick, and everyone is gushing about how great the game feels, then trust thats going to make people want to try it. But if 70% of people are bitching online about how the game feels like ass to control, thats not exactly a shining endorsement to go out and buy the game.

Tekken 7 sold about 4 million within its first 2 years. Thats a respectable number. But it then sold more than double that amount, rocketing up to 10 million in the next 3 years after. And why was that? It wasn't a story expansion, it wasn't a super hype guest character being added after that. It was because everywhere you looked online, Tekken fans were telling you how fucking godlike this game is, and why in the FUCK are you not playing Tekken right now? Tekken 7 def had its issues that the community didn't like, some shit they even hated, but if you asked them if they loved Tekken 7 it was almost always a definitive yes. Compare that to MK11 now.

Ive done several calculations, ran a peer reviewed study, and considered all theoretical options for how the movement can be fixed in a manner that maintains the overall functionality of the game.

If holding the flip stance button allowed the player to run, both towards and away from the opponent, both the clunky dashing, and the overall slow movement could be fixed.

MK is a ninja game, and ninjas run. Providing a button for running would allow the game to facilitate the ninjification much better.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The way people make such bold assertions, especially when you’re already starting with such limited information and evidence to begin with, will always baffle me.

Now, if you were to instead say, “I believe increasing the speed in certain ways could potentially break the game and ultimately make it unplayable”, that at least isn’t stating it in a matter of fact way. And it certainly isn’t conveying any sort of objective claim(s).

You could be right, but there’s absolutely zero reason to believe that this will happen. Not only do we not have anywhere close to enough evidence to go on based just on the stress test, but I’m also sure that NRS wouldn’t make a drastic general gameplay change and not also test it, lol. I understand that you may not necessarily be saying that they’d do this, and were just saying that if they did, it’d break the game. But yeah, it’s ultimately a baseless assertion.

If MK1 did have a perfectly tuned dynamic that altering one element would destroy, just universally speed up everything equally and whatever balance it has will be maintained.

To be honest, I'd be more than happy with UMVC3 levels of bullshit if it meant the movement was more like MK9 than 11. Id take that in a heartbeat.
yeah the same community that couldn't even handle Sheevas stomp is really going to be down for a broken game smh please be serious

People pretending they want the game to be broken and it’ll be “fun” are so phony

Or maybe they need those broken mechanics cause they lack any skill

Plop

Noob
People pretending they want the game to be broken and it’ll be “fun” are so phony

Or maybe they need those broken mechanics cause they lack any skill
So argumentative lol :laughing: Why can't you disagree with people without being a dick about it? Everyone else on here is capable of friendly discussion. I mentioned UMVC3. Pretty broken game, fun as hell. You gonna tell me people like Jwong only played that game cos they lack skill?

I want MK9 movement because MK9 was the most fun I've had with a Netherrealm game. I'm sorry you don't feel the same way. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Kokoko

Somehow
I'm too lazy to read the whole thread, sorry. Maybe someone has already expressed this opinion.
I think the problem is not in speed, but in the distance covered by dashes. Because now there is practically no point in dashing, you cover the same distance with a simple walk. And with a dash, you practically stay in place. What they really need to do is increase the distance. In this case, the dash speed can be left as it is. Since you can't cancel dash into any normal or special, it won't really help link combos. But it will help to punish any unsafe shit with a lot of pushbacks, like FB.