What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Kung Lao Unfavorable matchups

which ones are they and how bad. I don't consider 6-4s really that unfavorable more player skill based. I've seen PL get wrecked by quan chis is that a really bad mu for KL and what else are we looking at?

Afro_physicist

Hat Trick
Kung Loco has no bad matchups tbh. His walk speed is good enough to get in on zoners like full auto and kitana, his normals have enough range (f2, b3) to be a constant threat when spaced right, his low hat is a good enough projectile by itself, his dive kick can beat out a lot of air attacks, and he has arguably the best wakeup in the game. You know what he cant beat? 50/50s. because no one can beat a 50/50.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
I haven't gotten the game yet, but I have to say from what I've seen of online videos Quan is the first character that screams "I'm a busted top tier character". So I'd go with him.

Charybdis

We are returned! Death to the False Emperor!
In my experience, Kung struggles against a Liu that sits back to invite pressure, peppering you with low fireballs and waiting to punish either your approach with a BF2 or a DB2 or bait a teleport.

Don't think he does too badly against F/T so long as you keep the low hats coming to frustrate F/T into flinging Ferra and teleporting in.

YoShadowFiend

"I will not be so passive, in your demise."
Kung Jin vsBuzzsaw Lao

1. In Mid range Try Anti Airing jf.2 without using meter.
2. if kjin dodges low hat, he can get a dive kick punish into full combo.
3. if kjin dodges low hat, you wont be getting it back for at least a second or two.
4. the above cripples lao Anti airs and ground game
5. getting him on the ground is the goal but even there, we cant contest with half screen low/highs and b+2.
6. the risks he takes are way more rewarding as he severly outdamages us. his 35%+ off a mixup meterless compared to our 25%+ off the only viable overhead we have b+2.
7. his mixup game shits on ours.

MK_Al

Noob
Kung Loco has no bad matchups tbh. His walk speed is good enough to get in on zoners like full auto and kitana, his normals have enough range (f2, b3) to be a constant threat when spaced right, his low hat is a good enough projectile by itself, his dive kick can beat out a lot of air attacks, and he has arguably the best wakeup in the game. You know what he cant beat? 50/50s. because no one can beat a 50/50.
So he's #1...?

I don't quite agree on some of your arguments.

- His walkspeed is awefull after the first steps, tough I don't see a problem with it. I agree that zoners are not KL's problem due to run, DK and teleport
- His wakeup is as good as any; either the oponent commits to a meaty setup or he blocks
- 50/50s are tools that can not be ignored when talking about matchups, and they are one of the reasons why I feel that Raiden, KJ and EB will be 6:4 in their favour.

Afro_physicist

Hat Trick
So he's #1...?

I don't quite agree on some of your arguments.

- His walkspeed is awefull after the first steps, tough I don't see a problem with it. I agree that zoners are not KL's problem due to run, DK and teleport
- His wakeup is as good as any; either the oponent commits to a meaty setup or he blocks
- 50/50s are tools that can not be ignored when talking about matchups, and they are one of the reasons why I feel that Raiden, KJ and EB will be 6:4 in their favour.
I'm not saying he's number 1, but I'm saying he's at least top10 or top 15. His matchups are fair. He doesn't dominate anyone like a 7-3 (to my knowledge) but he also doesn't get dominated. A 6-4 isn't a bad matchup, its just a little hard. And when it comes to fighting anyone with a 30% 50/50, anyone has a 12.5% chance of losing the round if they have no meter and opened up with a 50/50 vortex at the start.
I'd say in regards to matchups, he's the Nightwing of MKX

MK_Al

Noob
I'm not saying he's number 1, but I'm saying he's at least top10 or top 15. His matchups are fair. He doesn't dominate anyone like a 7-3 (to my knowledge) but he also doesn't get dominated. A 6-4 isn't a bad matchup, its just a little hard. And when it comes to fighting anyone with a 30% 50/50, anyone has a 12.5% chance of losing the round if they have no meter and opened up with a 50/50 vortex at the start.
I agree on pretty much all you say there. I just wanted to challenge you initial post a little bit, because I wasn't quite sure what to make of it.

Also, it's a bit weird in here. No one seems to have matchup problems or think KL has problems, still no one plays KL succsessful in the US.

Afro_physicist

Hat Trick
I agree on pretty much all you say there. I just wanted to challenge you initial post a little bit, because I wasn't quite sure what to make of it.

Also, it's a bit weird in here. No one seems to have matchup problems or think KL has problems, still no one plays KL succsessful in the US.
Yea, I'd try more if I wasn't broke so much lol, but I didn't see any KL at combo breaker. Did anyone?