What's new

UMK3's Kara and Glitch Jab's

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
This topic is about “Glitch Jabs” in UMK3, as well as Run Jabs, Kara Jabs, the differences between the 3, the similarities between the 3, and determining just how good these tactics or mechanics are for the game.

I need to point out before I get into this that I 100% completely understand the issues people have with Glitch Jabs. The fact that they're even called "Glitch Jabs" alludes to how everyone perceives them. Because they actually AREN’T a glitch, believe it or not. On paper, it's a ridiculous concept. In fact, if you were to tell me about Glitch Jabs when I started getting into UMK3 competitively back in late 2006, I probably would have been pretty turned off especially at that time since there was a far more limited understanding and knowledge of them. When people hear or learn about GJ's and what they are, they immediately call them broken and look at them in a negative light. And I don’t blame them, as I said the concept itself is pretty absurd. Even though being able to attack while blocking actually exists in some other fighting games, it’s just not something you would see as an inherently "good" thing. However, you won't fully grasp how they affect the game until you put down the pen and paper, and start trying to understand how they work with your own, firsthand experience.

There's an obvious divide of people on either ends of a cliff. On one side of the cliff, there are those who are against the Jabs. And on the other side of the cliff, there are those who are for the Jabs. And my goal is not to forcibly push everyone off their cliffs, but to try and build a bridge between the two cliffs so that everyone can meet in the middle and better understand each other instead of shouting at one another from their respective cliffs.

Now to lay some groundwork. For those that have no clue what Run Jabs (RJ’s), Kara Jabs (KJ’s) or Glitch Jabs (GJ’s) are in UMK3, allow me to explain. There's something called "Run Jabs" in UMK3. The name of this tactic is axiomatic or self explanatory. You run, and jab, which is typically performed with a low punch (LP), but you can also technically do a run jab with a high punch (HP). Run Jabs are used to apply pressure, force mistakes, and to do nasty chip damage. Then we have something called "Kara Jabs". Kara Jabs are the same as Run Jabs, but KJ’s are when you're canceling each jab with another button. The most effective button to cancel the jab with is the block button. Doing a KJ cuts the animation of the jab nearly in half, allowing you to rush down with the Jabs much faster. What KJ’s also do, is when you're canceling your jab with block, you're basically throwing out a safe attack that if countered you can block it immediately. If someone sweeps you while you’re rushing down with KJ’s, if done correctly, you will block the sweep automatically. But you do have to be holding down back while you throw out each KJ. Doing so allows you to block sweeps and anything else without having to necessarily block it on reaction. Holding back while you do each jab also prevents counter jabs from being able to throw you. This is pretty tricky to master, considering each time you KJ, you want to be moving forward, but then you have to go into down back right after you move forward to avoid them being easily countered by a sweep. Once the KJ IS countered with an attack, the Kara Jabber is forced into the block animation. So for a short amount of time, the Kara Jabber is in block stun. KJ’ing is also useful for baiting. Throw out a quick jab and cancel it with block to force someone to do something. For instance, you force them to teleport, then since you kara jabbed, you block and then punish.

“Glitch Jabs” (GJ’s) are taking Kara Jabs a step further. GJ’s are you being able to throw out multiple Jabs in one place while being able to automatically block any attack your opponent throws at you (aside from the unblockable specials moves such as Sheeva and Jax’s ground pounds, Sheeva's telestomp, etc). Again, while you’re doing these GJ’s, you still have to be holding down+back to avoid sweeps, but it's easier with Glitch Jabs since you're typically not trying to advance then quickly go to down+back+block. However, you can also do a “Rushing Glitch Jab” (RGJ), which allow you to apply insane amounts of pressure virtually completely safely. This is using them basically as a Run/Kara Jab. But you're throwing out multiple jabs each time.

The GJ’s work the same as KJ’s. If you get hit, you're forced into block stun. And that's ultimately the best way to exploit/counter them. Once you stop someone from advancing and glitch jabbing, it's your turn to go on the offensive since they're basically frozen (in block stun) for a brief time.

So, for the ones on the cliff who are against GJ’s, based on the description and everything I have just layed out, it’s very easy to understand why they aren’t in favor of them. Logically, I have no issues with admitting that it’s a completely broken mechanic that in a lot of situations cheapens the experience not only for the players, but also for the audience/viewers watching the matches. Even though as I said there are some games where you can attack & block at the same time, in most games, this could potentially be a game breaking mechanic. However, the reason they're not as absurd as they seem in UMK3 is really because of Run Jabs. There's nothing really like Run Jabs in any other games. In UMK3, everyone has very similar normals, just with different properties (range, startup frames, recovery frames, etc). So every character in the game can Run/Kara/ & Glitch Jab. Some are far better at it, or benefit from them far more than others, like Kabal for example. But since Run Jabs are such a big part of competitive UMK3, converting them into Kara and Glitch Jabs isn't too crazy and absurd as it would seem. If I haven’t made it clear up until this point, I would like to point out that it's only HP and LP you can do any type of Jab with. So no High Kick (HK) or Low Kick (LK) “jabs” or anything, lol.

The Glitch Jabs can be beaten and countered once you get over the concept of them. Some of the people who are on that cliff can't though. Some people will read the above and out of close-mindedness will automatically dismiss them and UMK3 altogether. The people who get past the concept and actually take the time to experiment with them, generally in my experience come to realize they can be defeated and they're not as ridiculous as they sound on paper. I feel like stubbornness and ego oftentimes get in the way especially in regards to this topic. I was as close-minded as anyone else at first, I was one of the many on that one side of the cliff shouting that it’s broken. I was really frustrated that this tactic seemingly dominated the game and meta. I even was ready to give up on the game. But, before I did I decided to just go into the lab and try and figure anything out I could about thess GJ’s and if there were any reliable ways to counter them. So, REO and I got together with really the goal being to show everyone just how busted GJ’s were and the fact that they completely ruined the game. REO and I were training partners and at the time, we both 100% agreed that GJ’s were absurd.

So in our efforts to expose GJ’s and really put on display just how broken they were, we both actually came to a very different conclusion. You can even ask REO himself about this (if he remembers, this was awhile ago). We tested every aspect of the GJ’s. He would play me and ONLY would Glitch Jab, and at first he was winning. I then started to experiment on different ways of getting around them. I was shocked at how easy it is to exploit them once you get the Glitch Jabber into block stun. Before I knew it, REO simply could not win when he was only Glitch Jabbing. Once that happened, we switched and the same thing happened. I was winning a lot at first, then HE started finding ways around the GJ’s as well, again, to the point to where I couldn’t just win by GJ’ing. So we switched again, and he started using them sparingly and not solely relying on them. Then he started to win again. Then we BOTH started using Glitch and Kara Jabs in our game, but not abusing them, because we couldn’t abuse them. This is when the game suddenly was completely different for both of us for the first time in years. At the risk of sounding dramatic or cheesy, It’s as if we unlocked a whole new layer of the game that was right under our noses the entire time. We were having really fun competitive matches and I wasn't standing there watching him Glitch Jab the air, and neither was he watching me do that. And neither of us wanted to do that because we knew we could counter it.

Of course in that training session I didn't learn everything there is to know about the Jabs. It did open me up to them though and it was like a key unlocked my closed mind. I completely changed my position on them after that session.
When I went on to play other players after that session, I started just absolutely dominating everyone I played who did not have a clue how to beat my newly found tactics (again, I know how cringey that sounds, but whatever). And the players who just GJ'd, I would 10-0 them now. Both sides either weren't use to playing players who used them, or playing players who knew how to beat them.

Now, I obviously realize talking about all of this and mine and REO’s anecdotes isn’t exactly going to just change the minds of all of you who are still on that cliff shouting. And I also understand that a lot of you just don't think they make the game better and also make the game look boring and goofy. I know some of you said that the jabs aren't "high level" and they require no skill or talent. And maybe just doing them without ANY other tactic, that doesn't require much skill, I would agree. As I mentioned above though, that's not going to work on players who know what to do. What does require skill is incorporating these Jabs into your already developed game. And being able to, on reaction, stop someone from simply abusing them. You have to go into the lab against someone who is using them nonstop. And for the first however many games, just have your training partner essentially do nothing but GJ. Once you start finding ways to counter them, then you have your training partner still use them a lot, but not ONLY using them. And then you can just go on from there, but I promise you that this is the best way to learn how to counter them.

Because once you're using them, your opponent is using them, and both of you know what to do against them and how yo counter them, you'll realize that maybe they aren't as game breaking as you first thought. Cause I can sit here and tell you all the different ways I've found to beat them, but I think experimenting yourself is the only way you'll actually try and overcome the Glitch Jabs, and the only way you’ll stop shouting from your side of the cliff, and take that first step out onto the bridge.

It's too good! - Sirlin

"Only in the most extreme, rare cases should something be banned because it is “too good.” This will be the most common type of ban requested by players, and almost all of their requests will be foolish. Banning a tactic simply because it is “the best” isn’t even warranted. That only reduces the game to all the “second best” tactics, which isn’t necessarily any better of a game than the original game. In fact, it’s often worse! The player requesting the ban may not fully grasp that the game is, in fact, not all about that one tactic."

NoDoubt

nasty
9.95 said:
So then I should outright lie to people? What you're telling me here is that because I no longer love UMK3 the way you do, that you have a right to tell people why UMK3 is awesome and I have the right to remain silent...​
My view of UMK3 changed... to the point where I feel that at the highest level of play, the game is no longer fun.​
The matches from Winter Brawls are not the highest level. Even the top 2 players from that tourny admit that, so... when was the last time you watched the highest level of this game?

^ - Da other thread is LOCKED ! But I agree wit DED.

IF THE OTHER THREAD IS LOCKED, IT WAS FOR A PURPOSE...PLEASE DO NOT RESURRECT IT HERE.

Reactions: ded

NoDoubt

nasty
^ - I wouldnt be here if it werent 4 her !

but yuP. Share sum videoz. watch n learn. U dont like? then pshh GTFO : P

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Since Phil for some reason closed the other thread, we'll continue the discussion here. NoDoubt ZAQ gamemk MKK hanzo Tim Static NinjaGrinder 9.95 skateblind AREZ God of War

What's interesting to me, and paints a very obvious picture, is how the players who have researched and developed the GJ's, the top players who use them and defend against them, almost every single one of them say nearly the same thing. That they aren't as impossible as the seem on the surface. It's so frustrating to me, this conversation. It's the same exact barrier I face when discussing religion with religious people. The close-mindedness is so ridiculous. And it usually gets nowhere. The only way to prove what we're saying is to actually put time into using and defending against GJ's.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Since Phil for some reason closed the other thread, we'll continue the discussion here. NoDoubt ZAQ gamemk MKK hanzo Tim Static NinjaGrinder 9.95

What's interesting to me, and paints a very obvious picture, is how the players who have researched and developed the GJ's, the top players who use them and defend against them, almost every single one of them say nearly the same thing. That they aren't as impossible as the seem on the surface. It's so frustrating to me, this conversation. It's the same exact barrier I face when discussing religion with religious people. The close-mindedness is so ridiculous. And it usually gets nowhere. The only way to prove what we're saying is to actually put time into using and defending against GJ's.
I think Phil was trying to make a point........the irony of his post alone speaks for itself.

Noob
Since Phil for some reason closed the other thread, we'll continue the discussion here. NoDoubt ZAQ gamemk MKK hanzo Tim Static NinjaGrinder 9.95

The thread was closed because it went way off topic because you guys can't control yourselves regarding glitch jabs. I made ONE blanket statement but made no other remarks and moved on from there.

you guys are to blame for ruining that thread.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The thread was closed because it went way off topic because you guys can't control yourselves regarding glitch jabs. I made ONE blanket statement but made no other remarks and moved on from there.

you guys are to blame for ruining that thread.
Well the thread was about fixing UMK3. And GJ's were brought up as something that needed to be fixed. So the discussion went back and forth of both sides defending their points and views. I saw nothing wrong with the thread. No insults or immaturity, just a healthy discussion imo.

Noob
Well the thread was about fixing UMK3. And GJ's were brought up as something that needed to be fixed. So the discussion went back and forth of both sides defending their points and views. I saw nothing wrong with the thread. No insults or immaturity, just a healthy discussion imo.
No, you're right... this is perfectly acceptable forum conversation:

If u dont wanna listen to Hanzo and DED, then kill yourself.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The funny stuff in MK, is that the game is concepted and designed for some gameplay according to the creator's POV

But we play totally different from what they wanted to be. I Bet Midway didn't expect the existence of Kara Jabs and Glich Jabs when they created the game.

Also, in MK9 Kara Jabs were replaced with the Dash/poke to create pressures and interrupt strings lol.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Combine 1-5: They wiff but you can jump punch for more damage lol. The game is boring without jp starters.
6&7: You want to get hit by a teleport punch so you can block it and get the highest punisher with most of the cast.
8-10: Dial a combo chip isn't great, neither is NW's jp relative to the rest of the cast. NW only really has rushdown and aa.
11-14: c.HK is garbage in MK2 and UMK3. It can be used as aa more consistently in UMK3 because JK priority isn't as good.
15: tp doesn't always connect. jab (or cancel jab), tp, throw is one of the funnest things to do in the game for me.
Stop reading my mind and posting what I was gonna post.....

On second thought, if you do it, I won't have to sit there and type it out, so go ahead. :p

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
i'm disappointed that the other thread got closed. the first thing i wrote was "aside from glitch jabs"..., but i figured it would get closed because it would be misconstrued as a flame bait thread. anyway, i'm back with pictures. i encourage other people to use visual aids too.
So what does this have to do with the topic?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
based on my grid, i've come to the conclusion that ermac, for example, CAN dominate 96% of all horizontal space (teleslam takes up 36% of the width in which you can operate (meaning, unless you can teleport, you cannot advance on ermac) or jump, and his horizontal teleport can occupy 60% from stage end to stage end...96%). in addition, his diagonal/air/air horizontal teleport occupies vertical space to degree of 83%! and lands safely if no hit is registered.
His TKS is severely punishable on block. Just as his teleport is, the same with all the male ninja teleports. Sure they can cover a lot of space, but they're risking being blocked and punished for half their life. Both the TKS and Teleport are very unsafe on block. On hit, of course they're safe. And on whiff, the teleport is safe but not the TKS. TKS is punishable on whiff more so than when blocked. It seems maybe you need to start blocking more.

you can't jump back if an ermac player does an air teleport because you will be hit, and combo'd. you can't stand still without blocking because you will get rushed down or mixed up with teleport spam. you can't jump forward because you will be air teleported and combo'd. if ninjas decide not to play, you can't win, but they still can. that's fundamentally broken, like mk2 mileena. that's why you only see ninjas, and nightwolf win tournaments.
Why do you have to do anything when Ermac does an air teleport? Also, why would you just stand still without blocking? Why would you ever jump in UMK3 without it being a safe jump? And no, not only ninjas and nightwolf win tournaments. Kabal, Kitana, Jax, Kung Lao, Robot Smoke and Reptile have all won tournaments. Even more probably that I can't think of at the moment.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
no. i wish they had left out the ninjas, or made changes to them, and just tweaked vanilla mk3. i made up a little grid for mk, and i've come to the conclusion that the ninjas are completely broken in umk3. now there are other characters who are more broken, like kabal, but the ninjas are a close 2nd because of the teleport. yeah, i'm back to that.
Human Smoke is broken cuz of his damage from any starter, not teleport. Kung Lao is broken cuz of infinite, Kano is broken cuz of Cannonball, Robo-Smoke is broken for damage and gayness, .....Ninjas are the face of MK and as I said, there NEEDS to be ways to escape rushdown.

based on my grid, i've come to the conclusion that ermac, for example, CAN dominate 96% of all horizontal space (teleslam takes up 36% of the width in which you can operate (meaning, unless you can teleport, you cannot advance on ermac) or jump, and his horizontal teleport can occupy 60% from stage end to stage end...96%). in addition, his diagonal/air/air horizontal teleport occupies vertical space to degree of 83%! and lands safely if no hit is registered.
Ermac is sooooo much easier to fight than you could possibly imagine and most of it revolves around blocking. I could tell when we played that u need to block WAY more and i got you w/ alot of stuff high-level players would never get hit by....like naked TKS in the corner into 100%

you can't jump back if an ermac player does an air teleport because you will be hit, and combo'd. you can't stand still without blocking because you will get rushed down or mixed up with teleport spam. you can't jump forward because you will be air teleported and combo'd, or teleslammed. if ninjas decide not to play, you can't win, but they still can. that's fundamentally broken, like mk2 mileena. that's why you only see ninjas, and nightwolf win tournaments.
Kitana, Jade, Mileena can jump back w/ a JK and snuff teleports EVERY time, and jumping towards a male ninja in general is asking to get comboed by an aaRH --->. ALso I have never seen a ninja or NightWolf win a tournament....just Kabals....Arion's win w/ Kitana/Jax was ground-breaking.

if i had to tweak ermac, i would remove his teleport, and replace it with another type of teleport similar to raiden's.
That would make him utterly useless and the entire character design would be obsolete, considering EVERY combo he does revolves around teleporting during juggles.

as for scorpion and human smoke, i would increase the amount of time between air teleports.
no point, what could that possibly solve?

and for nightwolf, i would remove his ability to use hatchet as AA. it should only be for combos, like scorpion's axe.
You would remove his only aa-tool, which isn't even that spectacular anyway......???

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
gamemk:
I am respectfully asking you to stop. Please. I'm being 100% serious here, not even a trolling attempt. Why would you want to change the game THAT much?

And stop hoping it will be fixed one day. Because it won't. Ever. Maybe you should just quit the game altogether if you think it's that bad. There's always MK2

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Stay on topic. This thread is about GJ/KJ's, not anything else. Any posts not about the topic will be deleted. Thanks.