What's new

UMK3 League Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noob
Ok, the playoffs are now beginning. After sifting through next to zero results for the past 3-5 weeks, I had to eliminate alot of players and divisions. I said it before, only divisions 1 and 2 are going to have playoffs.

The format is simple:

Best 2 out of 3 in the "first to 10 wins" format. This means you play possibly 3 full sets of first to 10. Please finish these playoffs at this point! Please email your results to the League email once they are completed so I can update this thread. Anything not emailed will not count and you will not advance.

Division 1

1. MistaKM vs. DizGirlWillOwnU

2. ABC vs. kiki aka game

3. Winner of 1 vs. Winner of 2 for Division 1 Championship.

Division 2

1. GameOver vs. Konqrr Gameover Advances 2 sets to 0

2. ROFL vs. Onewhiteonegold ROFL Advances 2 sets to 1

3. GameOver vs. ROFL for Division 2 Championship.

Kombat Kup will be played in the same Playoff format of best 2 out of 3 in the first to 10 format(best 2 out of 3 sets). Division winners and division runners up will be invited to play, and seeding will be based on Playoff performance. If a tie exists, players will be randomly selected for the TBA slots(from the runners up)

Kombat Kup League Championship - Starting September 2nd

1. Winner of Division 1 Championship vs. TBA

2. Winner of Division 2 Championship vs. TBA

3. Winner of 1 vs. Winner of 2 for Kombat Kup Championship

Pretty illogical set up if you ask me. What was even the point of the regular season is 8 out of 10 players go to the playoffs and all other divisions are scrapped? It'd be better served to just have a 1 player from each div play each other. Otherwise you could always do 1 v 4 seed /2 seed v 3 seed thing with the top 2 respective mbrs of the 2 divs. It's as if this thing could have just been a tourny with the way you've set up the playoffs. Feels like a waste of a whole lot of time, especially yours. I'm thinking you should reconsider the format.

Pretty illogical set up if you ask me. What was even the point of the regular season is 8 out of 10 players go to the playoffs and all other divisions are scrapped? It'd be better served to just have a 1 player from each div play each other. Otherwise you could always do 1 v 4 seed 2 seed v 3 seed thing. It's as if this thing could have just been a tourny with the way you've set up the playoffs. Feels like a waste of a whole lot of time, especially yours. I'm thinking you should reconsider the format.
It's not really fair that way. The people from Division 2 or 3 can't wing it with the division 1 people. A person from division 2 could make it all the way to the top, just to get cut down by division 1. No problem at all for division 1 either, pretty easy fight.

He made it just fine.

It's not really fair that way. The people from Division 2 or 3 can't wing it with the division 1 people. A person from division 2 could make it all the way to the top, just to get cut down by division 1. No problem at all for division 1 either, pretty easy fight.

He made it just fine.
it should be: top record from d1( seed 1) vs 2nd best record of d2( seed 4) + 2nd best rec d1 (seed 2) vs best rec of d2 (seed 3)

The extra round is excessive considering the amount of people remaining in the league. 80 % of remaining participants making the playoffs is ridiculous and makes all the time spent playing seem wasteful.

Noob
Pretty illogical set up if you ask me. What was even the point of the regular season is 8 out of 10 players go to the playoffs and all other divisions are scrapped? It'd be better served to just have a 1 player from each div play each other. Otherwise you could always do 1 v 4 seed /2 seed v 3 seed thing with the top 2 respective mbrs of the 2 divs. It's as if this thing could have just been a tourny with the way you've set up the playoffs. Feels like a waste of a whole lot of time, especially yours. I'm thinking you should reconsider the format.
I'm kind of confused as to how you see this as illogical. Your playoffs and championship are determined within your division. If you win your playoff round and subsequently, your finals, you have won your division championship. Both the champion and runner up are then invited to play in the Kombat Kup which is for all division champions and runners up. The problem, however, stems from the fact that divisions 3 and 4 just stopped playing. I have no emailed scores from anyone in those divisions so I can't make anyone in those divisions eligible for playoffs. Otherwise there would be a total of 4 players invited to play for the Kombat Kup(this time...it's based on divisions and each division's respective champion). Also, keep in mind that the Kombat Kup, although it determines the "League Champion" in name, it's original intent as stated in the rules was:

At the conclusion of the 10 week season, the top 4 players in each division will enter the playoffs.
-Playoff format will be:
-Week 1: 1st Place vs. 4th Place and 2nd Place vs. 3rd Place
-Players will play sets of 10, the first player to win 2 sets of 10 advances
-Week 2: Winner of 1 vs. 4 plays Winner of 2 vs. 3 to determine division champion
-All division champions will be entered into the Kombat Kup, a tournament of Division Champions only

The most important thing to remember about the Kombat Kup is that it's not the most important part of the League. The most important thing in League play is to win your division championship. The Kombat Kup is an extra that I made so we could put the best players of each division against each other. Otherwise, each division has it's own champion.

Obviously I've modified the Kombat Kup to include division runners up due to the fact that we only have 8 people playing in the playoffs, so we will still have 4 people competing in the Kombat Kup.

GameOver, I appreciate your concern for my time being wasted. I know first hand, because I spent alot of time making schedules and doing stats etc. Due to lack of play caused by season length(next season will not be nearly as long), calculating stats was close to impossible as I had to track down scores. I took the wins, added them by hand, and took 1v4 and 2v3 for each of the 2 divisions and put them against each other. Alot of my time was wasted, but to see this season come to a close is worth it. We have alot of good ideas in store for the next season(possibly more games???) but lets finish this up and the other info on Season 2 will be discussed in the future.

it should be: top record from d1( seed 1) vs 2nd best record of d2( seed 4) + 2nd best rec d1 (seed 2) vs best rec of d2 (seed 3)

The extra round is excessive considering the amount of people remaining in the league. 80 % of remaining participants making the playoffs is ridiculous and makes all the time spent playing seem wasteful.
I dunno what else to tell you man except that when you make the league, you make the rules.

Noob

Remember, it's still division based, and we want our division champions to be crowned, even if it's only 2 divisions that remain.

awesome, anytime dizgirl.

Chiro, I think you did a great job considering the circumstances. I appreciate the time you've spent. It will only get better now.

Noob
awesome, anytime dizgirl.

Chiro, I think you did a great job considering the circumstances. I appreciate the time you've spent. It will only get better now.
'ppreciate that. Thank you. And, yes, the League will get better now... we're considering adding some new games to the mix, shorter season with more games per week, and a different kind of time limit to go along with it. Everyone will see once this season is done.

I'm kind of confused as to how you see this as illogical. Your playoffs and championship are determined within your division. If you win your playoff round and subsequently, your finals, you have won your division championship. Both the champion and runner up are then invited to play in the Kombat Kup which is for all division champions and runners up. The problem, however, stems from the fact that divisions 3 and 4 just stopped playing. I have no emailed scores from anyone in those divisions so I can't make anyone in those divisions eligible for playoffs. Otherwise there would be a total of 4 players invited to play for the Kombat Kup(this time...it's based on divisions and each division's respective champion). Also, keep in mind that the Kombat Kup, although it determines the "League Champion" in name, it's original intent as stated in the rules was:

At the conclusion of the 10 week season, the top 4 players in each division will enter the playoffs.
-Playoff format will be:
-Week 1: 1st Place vs. 4th Place and 2nd Place vs. 3rd Place
-Players will play sets of 10, the first player to win 2 sets of 10 advances
-Week 2: Winner of 1 vs. 4 plays Winner of 2 vs. 3 to determine division champion
-All division champions will be entered into the Kombat Kup, a tournament of Division Champions only

The most important thing to remember about the Kombat Kup is that it's not the most important part of the League. The most important thing in League play is to win your division championship. The Kombat Kup is an extra that I made so we could put the best players of each division against each other. Otherwise, each division has it's own champion.

Obviously I've modified the Kombat Kup to include division runners up due to the fact that we only have 8 people playing in the playoffs, so we will still have 4 people competing in the Kombat Kup.

GameOver, I appreciate your concern for my time being wasted. I know first hand, because I spent alot of time making schedules and doing stats etc. Due to lack of play caused by season length(next season will not be nearly as long), calculating stats was close to impossible as I had to track down scores. I took the wins, added them by hand, and took 1v4 and 2v3 for each of the 2 divisions and put them against each other. Alot of my time was wasted, but to see this season come to a close is worth it. We have alot of good ideas in store for the next season(possibly more games???) but lets finish this up and the other info on Season 2 will be discussed in the future.
What is illogical is that you've made every effort to to adapt to the lost players and lack of participation by trimming areas down and balancing them. You dropped whole divisions of people as well as numerous members from the higher divisions( none of which is your fault I know.) My problem lies in the the fact that rather than compensating for the disipating number of participants with a reductuction in post season spots you actually do the opposite by making MORE playoff opportunities for the 2 divisions, whereby essentially every single remaining active participant is involved. It makes the 10+ weeks spent in the regular season null and void. There is where the absolute waste lies.

If the focus was to crown a division champ than it makes no sense not to account for the results of what actually happened within that division. The diminished rosters should be accounted for IMO. Even if your still hellbent on crowning a champ for the last 2 remaining divisions the solution would be as easy as having the top 2 from each division play each other and then have the winners sqaure off. There is little point in having what essentially comes down to a tournement between all the active players in each division when that is what the regular season was meant to be in the first place. In what tournement ever have 4/5ths of the competitors made the conference finals? Lol, it's retarded to me?

I could honestly care less about playing more games. I play with all the people I'm matched up against anyways, but your system is poor and makes me feel like I didnt have to bother playing all the initial matches in the first place. It came down to like 100+ matches played just to have you tell us all to do it all over again. Do you understand my gripe?

He made it just fine.
Bull Shit me and GameOver are perfectly capable of holding our own with everyone in division 1 god damn you act like you're a badass because you beat 2 people you shouldn't have

I have a harder time fighting GameOver than anyone in div 1 right now

lets play our games soon onewhite :p

Noob
What is illogical is that you've made every effort to to adapt to the lost players and lack of participation by trimming areas down and balancing them. You dropped whole divisions of people as well as numerous members from the higher divisions( none of which is your fault I know.) My problem lies in the the fact that rather than compensating for the disipating number of participants with a reductuction in post season spots you actually do the opposite by making MORE playoff opportunities for the 2 divisions, whereby essentially every single remaining active participant is involved. It makes the 10+ weeks spent in the regular season null and void. There is where the absolute waste lies.

If the focus was to crown a division champ than it makes no sense not to account for the results of what actually happened within that division. The diminished rosters should be accounted for IMO. Even if your still hellbent on crowning a champ for the last 2 remaining divisions the solution would be as easy as having the top 2 from each division play each other and then have the winners sqaure off. There is little point in having what essentially comes down to a tournement between all the active players in each division when that is what the regular season was meant to be in the first place. In what tournement ever have 4/5ths of the competitors made the conference finals? Lol, it's retarded to me?

I could honestly care less about playing more games. I play with all the people I'm matched up against anyways, but your system is poor and makes me feel like I didnt have to bother playing all the initial matches in the first place. It came down to like 100+ matches played just to have you tell us all to do it all over again. Do you understand my gripe?
To a degree I understand it. Here's what it came down to:

Division 1:
MistaKM/Dizgirl
abc/kiki
dubson and shock did not finish, therefore they both finished in 5th and 6th place.

Division 2 had a similar problem, summoning just couldn't find time to finish his matches, so he took losses for all those matches. Dreamcatcher was banned, therefore removing him from the League(the one sinlge stipulation to participate was that you were a member of the site, if he's no longer a site member due to banning, he's not eligible for league play anymore). That left the top 4 in Division 2, with summoning finishing 5th.

It's pretty simple to me...if you don't complete the games, you forfeited them and they become losses. Nothing different than I've always said. Just because they didn't finish or dropped from league play doesn't mean they weren't counted as lossess or wins for the opponents for that week. I still see the format as logical. It's no different than it should be. If the Yankees can't finish a game, they forfeit it, therefore it's a win for the other team and counts toward final standings. It's exactly what happened here, and I've made every effort to take the people who earned their way into the playoffs and give them a shot at their division championship. Whether you agree or disagree with me is something I have to live with, but the fact is, you earned your spot in the playoffs, and if summoning had played more often, then it's quite possible someone else might be missing the playoffs in your division. If Darxyd3 hadn't quit, he also might have ousted someone from the playoffs in division1. I can't help what happened, all I can do is take what we have, and follow as close to the format as possible with what changes and adaptations need to be made to adhere to format, but be flexible enough to bend a little in certain situations. You could argue that some people in your division may not belong in the playoffs, but even though they may have more losses than someone who is now banned, that's the banned person's fault, not the other player.

Also, remember, you played 100+ matches to determine who makes the playoffs, and the seeding in the playoffs. It was my mistake to make the season 10 weeks... in retrospect that was definitely too long. I made a mistake, but I'm making changes to modify the next season so that these things don't happen. I did alot of work here, and I certainly don't think I deserve to be crucified for a mistake I made when all the work I did was a sacrifice of my time, energy, and effort, especially when the work I did was for like 30+ people.

Lastly, if you take a look at any amateur sports league, it's always the same. Multiple divisions play a season against each other, with the top 4 or 8 teams qualifying for the playoffs(depending on division size). In this case it was usually 6 players per division, with 4 playoff spots available...that meant every game counted because there was always the chance you wouldn't make it. This was all explained for everyone almost 12 weeks ago. Why didn't you question it or criticize it then?

He made it just fine.
It's fair to say you're probably better than I am and thats cool. But can't hang is a definate stretch. You act as if you'd ever be able to 20-0 me or any of the other kids in d2? Your not on some whole different level or anything, honestly.

To a degree I understand it. Here's what it came down to:

Division 1:
MistaKM/Dizgirl
abc/kiki
dubson and shock did not finish, therefore they both finished in 5th and 6th place.

Division 2 had a similar problem, summoning just couldn't find time to finish his matches, so he took losses for all those matches. Dreamcatcher was banned, therefore removing him from the League(the one sinlge stipulation to participate was that you were a member of the site, if he's no longer a site member due to banning, he's not eligible for league play anymore). That left the top 4 in Division 2, with summoning finishing 5th.

It's pretty simple to me...if you don't complete the games, you forfeited them and they become losses. Nothing different than I've always said. Just because they didn't finish or dropped from league play doesn't mean they weren't counted as lossess or wins for the opponents for that week. I still see the format as logical. It's no different than it should be. If the Yankees can't finish a game, they forfeit it, therefore it's a win for the other team and counts toward final standings. It's exactly what happened here, and I've made every effort to take the people who earned their way into the playoffs and give them a shot at their division championship. Whether you agree or disagree with me is something I have to live with, but the fact is, you earned your spot in the playoffs, and if summoning had played more often, then it's quite possible someone else might be missing the playoffs in your division. If Darxyd3 hadn't quit, he also might have ousted someone from the playoffs in division1. I can't help what happened, all I can do is take what we have, and follow as close to the format as possible with what changes and adaptations need to be made to adhere to format, but be flexible enough to bend a little in certain situations. You could argue that some people in your division may not belong in the playoffs, but even though they may have more losses than someone who is now banned, that's the banned person's fault, not the other player.
You failed to address my primary issue and the fundamental flaw in your system, which is an unproportunate number of post season spots as per the number of competitors. Like I said it renders the season fairly meaningless. If it were baseball it'd be the equivelent of having 24 of 32 teams play in the playoffs simply so there would be a wider amount of competition in the fight to crown numerous conference champs. Your missing the whole point.

Noob
You failed to address my primary issue and the fundamental flaw in your system, which is an unproportunate number of post season spots as per the number of competitors. Like I said it renders the season fairly meaningless. If it were baseball it'd be the equivelent of having 24 of 32 teams play in the playoffs simply so there would be a wider amount of competition in the fight to crown numerous conference champs. Your missing the whole point.

I'm not missing the point, I get what you're trying to say. I'm not going to argue this anymore. It may change for the next season, it may not. I'll have to discuss it with some of the directors before changes are made, but keep in mind, out of 30+ players, you're the only one who took issue with there being 4 available playoff spots for a 6 player division. I know how to sell my product.

Also, remember, you played 100+ matches to determine who makes the playoffs, and the seeding in the playoffs. It was my mistake to make the season 10 weeks... in retrospect that was definitely too long. I made a mistake, but I'm making changes to modify the next season so that these things don't happen. I did alot of work here, and I certainly don't think I deserve to be crucified for a mistake I made when all the work I did was a sacrifice of my time, energy, and effort, especially when the work I did was for like 30+ people.

Lastly, if you take a look at any amateur sports league, it's always the same. Multiple divisions play a season against each other, with the top 4 or 8 teams qualifying for the playoffs(depending on division size). In this case it was usually 6 players per division, with 4 playoff spots available...that meant every game counted because there was always the chance you wouldn't make it. This was all explained for everyone almost 12 weeks ago. Why didn't you question it or criticize it then?
Lol at the post-reply edit. Who is crucifying you? I am trying to help you make your league better by pointing out its flaws and offering ways to fix it. It is not like I've made any attacks on you, if anything I've pointed out on numerous occasions how the only reason this thing hasn't fallen apart is because of your dedication to it.

As for amatuer sports they act in the same way i've pointed out, that is, in proportion to the number of participants involved. The whole point of the initial tournement (the regular season in any respective sport) is to weed out the majority while allowing the top performers their shot at whatever title their may be. By failing to follow that proven format your hurting your league. It is not a complicated point i am making here. It is a suggestion for the future and explanation as to how I think you could improve in the future.

When you hold SFIII tourney's do the top 16 of 20 competitors advance to the semi's despite having already lost numerous times?

Show me where you said there would be 4 playoff spots per division?

Noob
Lol at the post-reply edit. Who is crucifying you? I am trying to help you make your league better by pointing out its flaws and offering ways to fix it. It is not like I've made any attacks on you, if anything I've pointed out on numerous occasions how the only reason this thing hasn't fallen apart is because of your dedication to it.

As for amatuer sports they act in the same way i've pointed out, that is, in proportion to the number of participants involved. The whole point of the initial tournement (the regular season in any respective sport) is to weed out the majority while allowing the top performers their shot at whatever title their may be. By failing to follow that proven format your hurting your league. It is not a complicated point i am making here. It is a suggestion for the future and explanation as to how I think you could improve in the future.

When you hold SFIII tourney's do the top 16 of 20 competitors advance to the semi's despite having already lost numerous times?

Show me where you said there would be 4 playoff spots per division?
First, I get that you're making suggestions and trying to help...but when you say that my format is poor, it seems like an attack. Good idea, bad wording, that's all.

In regards to amateur leagues, they all do that. Most leagues provide 6-8 player divisions with 4 playoff spots available, and it's for that exact purpose, sales. Granted this isn't anything I'm making money on, but you have to see it from my point of view...this was only going to be a success(and I still consider it successful) if I could get alot of participants. I accomplished that. Now I have to tweak it so that those players or different players will come back and play within the tweaked rules. Remember, this was an experiment, and more of a learning experience for me than it was for any of the players. The fact is, the League will need players, and to offer only 2 spots per division won't sell the product. If the product doesn't sell, we don't have a league, and therefore a failure. I'll certainly note your advice though and discuss it and maybe even put it in a poll before making a final decision. I may run the league, but feedback from players is important, and this is important as well. I appreciate the constructive criticism, I just hope you can see where I felt like it was an attack. I appreciate the suggestion...and I will discuss it for the coming season. For now, can we finish up this season in its current format please? LOL

It's fair to say you're probably better than I am and thats cool. But can't hang is a definate stretch. You act as if you'd ever be able to 20-0 me or any of the other kids in d2? Your not on some whole different level or anything, honestly.
Don't take it like that because I didn't mean it like that. I didn't mean Me, myself, could wipe the floor with division 2. I meant overall, as a division, division 1 is at a higher level of play. That's why they're in that division to begin with.

And Game, honestly dude, you could be in division 1 easily. I did wonder as to why you weren't placed in it to begin with.

thank you, I actually forgot to include that in my post but I do still have it copied to my clip board...LOL
I stand corrected. You are right. Keep in mind I do appreciate all that you've done. I have the habit of coming off like an asshole in my posts, but its really just the way that i argue. I think this thing did fairly well considering it was only a test run. Given the way nearly every single online has turned out this one has kept up longer than i think anyone has expected it to. Hopefully with some tweaks....(nudge nudge) we will get it perfect down the road.

Abc, my bad. I took that the wrong way.

you're just mad cause me and rofl get to play too and ur bitch as is undefeated lol
either me or rofl is going to pwn you

edit: cause i hadn't read pages 2 or 3

you do come off like an asshole, like rofl said though, you're the nicest person I have on my FL

Status
Not open for further replies.