What's new

UMK3 Arcade guide by Brady Games

EnterTheGecko

RS 3+4, +4 bitches!
A week ago after getting some stuff packed up for my move to a new place. I found my UMK3 arcade guide from Brady gGames in a box along with a few other guides I thought I lost. I was was pretty excited and bummed out at the same time. I remeber I would bring that book with me everytime I would go to an arcade or bowling alley; because I never did know if there was going to be a UMK3 machine there or not. It was good times back then; but the feelings I used to have are but flicker of what they used to be. I guess that's because I'm just getting older.

Anybody else still have this book? I've ocassionally looked it up on ebay; but it's never listed. I've seen other MK guides but never that one. Im sure from a gameplay standpoint its redundent due to what has been discovered in this game over the years. The character art is still nice to look at, and it actually has the definition of the word scrub in one of the first few pages along with some other words that were used in arcades to describe a type of player.

Just thought Id share this little MK moment with all of you; and maybe see if I'm not the only one who still has this book. Shoot!! I have no idea what; If any collector's value it might have. Im just pondering at the possibility.

Have I good one :)

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I have the novel by Jeff Rovin as well.

I didn't know they ever released an official UMK3 guide. I have several MK3 guides and one that mentions plans for an upgrade when Ultimate is released but I never saw it.

If you can post a scan of the cover and a few pages.

EnterTheGecko

RS 3+4, +4 bitches!
Konqrr said:
I have the novel by Jeff Rovin as well.

I didn't know they ever released an official UMK3 guide. I have several MK3 guides and one that mentions plans for an upgrade when Ultimate is released but I never saw it.

If you can post a scan of the cover and a few pages.

Ill have some posted this weekend. Friday is the big move day and internent at my new place wont be available till the 14th. Ill go over a friend's house and post them from there.

Im curious as to the fact that you never saw it Konqrr. It must be a rare guide then.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I have two guides for MKII and three for MK3 and one real piece of work for MK4 and one for MK Gold. Never cared for any MK1 guides as I don't think they ever made one for the arcade version aside from this one mag that did a part on unlocking Reptile and showed how to do the fatals.

I really never sought after any of them until after MK4 was released for the Playstation and only then "just to have them". But I'd be interested in seeing/owning this.

How many pages is it?

I have the UMK3 arcade guide. I'm not sure if its from Brady though... might be. I bought it ages ago when I was little (1st or 2nd grade). I still use it today!

It's purple I think. And has drawings of the characters inside with 2-3 pages of moves and bio.

Some guides that i have read said kung lao's combo was hp lp hp lp lk lk away hk but for the last hit you don't have to hit away it's just hk.

iammud

Noob
I saved all that shit from when I was a kid, and then I bought all your shit off you later on in life :D
I have a brady games Offical ultimate Mortal Kombat Fighter's Kompanion right next to me... I used this to remember how to play umktreehouse... the only flaw in this one I can think of is it says close for kitanas animality when it should be sweep.

Their MKII ones are funny, brady's has one that shows shang tsungs pit fatality and it has a picture on the spike pit of him doing the fatality. I spent FOREVER when I was a kid trying to do shangs pit fatality on that stage.... bastards

most of these game books used to rush codes and sometimes flat out make shit up... or they have early revision moves and fatalities...

are u sure its for school i used to do models like that i still have a few of dc comics ones i did a long time ago i didn't keep any cars though

ilovepoop said:
are u sure its for school i used to do models like that i still have a few of dc comics ones i did a long time ago i didn't keep any cars though
Yes its for school.

I don't have the patience for Them. I DO, if my grade depends on it though.

Speaking of guides, I just found a red binder I made in the mk3 arcade days. It's full of different printed out mk3 and umk3 faqs. I have a lot of MK strats somewhere, maybe one day I'll find them :lol:

Enigma

Noob
I used to make little lamenated cards with movelists for MKII, U/MK3, and MK4 that I took with me to the arcade. For 3 and 4, I had the hardest-hitting combo/juggle on the back of them.

abc ur dead0 said:
ilovepoop said:
Yes its for school.

You shoud put the MK logo on that model, that would guarantee you an A+.

Sir-Jabs-Alot said:
abc ur dead0 said:
ilovepoop said:
Yes its for school.

You shoud put the MK logo on that model, that would guarantee you an A+.
I got a C for that POS!