What's new

UFGT10 confirmed to be the final UFGT event.

thehadou

Bumbling towards greatness.
Many good things came from UFGT in the past. 9 wasn't even THAT bad. If it wasn't for UFGT7 then Team GGA may not exist. I met many good friends at UFGT7. LBSH UFGT has done more good than bad for the MKC.
Too many people lack perspective. UFGT has been hugely important to the Midwest, and even nationally. Events like CEO and NCR run on the bracket system UFGT standardized.

Frantastic23

Best 3rd Strike Player on TYM.
I hope they put you guys at 10am again on sunday for Top 8 and put divekick at like 3pm.

They really should give you guys more support since you're the ones bringing in a non capcom based community in there.

Let's be serious here. The UFGT backlash was blown up because prior UFGT events ran really damn good. UFGT 9 had some hiccups no doubt, but the event was by no means horrible. The venue was great, the competition was top notch, and prime time stream time or not mystery game tournament is DA SHIT.

Show up to the biggest Midwest fighting game tournament. If indeed this is UFGT's swan song, you will be missing out by not coming because of some old issues.

No!!! :(

Now midwest doesn't have a major tournament anymore.

We need Power Up, Seasons Beatings. I'd love for Frosty Faustings to become a major same as Naptown Clash.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
What people don't get is that running an event of this size is a big job -- there's a lot to organize, and not everything will be perfect. The organizers are human and some things will be screwed up.

It's ok to be mad when things aren't right; I was really, really unhappy last year with the way things played out. But what makes the difference is 2 things:

1) What you do afterward, and
2) What you do to create change before the next event

Sitting around just yelling and screaming, flaming the TOs, boycotting events, etc. doesn't actually help create positive change. All that will do is lessen support for our games. Who wants to support a community that only cries and boycotts events?

It's something you have to cooperate for and make your case together like a bunch of adults.

The funny thing is that if you make a positive thread geared at helping to create change together, it gets no replies. But if you make a negative thread just saying "X sucks" then it has 5 pages of bandwagoning immediately and ends up with hundreds of posts.

If people are tired of certain aspects of tournament treatment then they need to start putting together real suggestions for improvement, and start communicating with the TOs (as a group, not just one person yelling on Twitter) beforehand instead of waiting until afterwards and then going off the handle.

After UFGT there will be other events in other places that will have similar issues if this community doesn't get it's act together. I really hope that people can start to mature a bit and learn how to petition positively and diplomatically for what they want.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
What people don't get is that running an event of this size is a big job -- there's a lot to organize, and not everything will be perfect. The organizers are human and some things will be screwed up.

It's ok to be mad when things aren't right; I was really, really unhappy last year with the way things played out. But what makes the difference is 2 things:

1) What you do afterward, and
2) What you do to create change before the next event

Sitting around just yelling and screaming, flaming the TOs, boycotting events, etc. doesn't actually help create positive change. All that will do is lessen support for our games. Who wants to support a community that only cries and boycotts events?

It's something you have to cooperate for and make your case together like a bunch of adults.

The funny thing is that if you make a positive thread geared at helping to create change together, it gets no replies. But if you make a negative thread just saying "X sucks" then it has 5 pages of bandwagoning immediately and ends up with hundreds of posts.

If people are tired of certain aspects of tournament treatment then they need to start putting together real suggestions for improvement, and start communicating with the TOs (as a group, not just one person yelling on Twitter) beforehand instead of waiting until afterwards and then going off the handle.

After UFGT there will be other events in other places that will have similar issues if this community doesn't get it's act together. I really hope that people can start to mature a bit and learn how to petition positively and diplomatically for what they want.
a lot of majors have had issues in past

We just gotta move on, i went to nec '13, nec '12 didnt effect what i thought. same for ufgt, I trust issues will be fixed

There are a lot more pressing issues that @SwiftTomHanks brought up though and he's right, those issues effect s all for all majors. Why cant they get it right like MLG does for their events?

the two feel night and day. I agree with @R.E.O. moreso when he brings up paying $50.00 for an event i better get a $50.00 exp not some asshole telling me to move away from a monitor when im watching a match. Also When i pay $50.00 for something i expect to be able to hear what im paying $50.00 for. Speakers/headsets every station or start charging me $10.00- $20.00

I absolutely HATE the hotel purchase pushing, one sentence a TO says "Yo guys hotel rooms are flying off the shelves like hot cakes so better book now" 4 FREAKING LINES DOWN Ive seen thit like this "Guys you can book your hotel rooms starting next week"
@Insuperable
ONE MINUTE WE HAVE HOTEL ROOMS FLYING OFF THE SHELF THEN NEXT MIN WE ARE TOLD WE can't book them yet? Dude............come on

BTW 3/5, give players their money worth.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
There are a lot more pressing issues that @SwiftTomHanks brought up though and he's right, those issues effect s all for all majors. Why cant they get it right like MLG does for their events?
MLG is backed by millions of dollars in venture captital. They were sitting on 45 mil before they even begin to take in money from ad revenue from their millions of viewers or collect a venue fee. They have an office and a full-time paid professional staff. They have investors making sure that things stay on target.

Literally, MLG lost money on multiple events and it didn't even matter because of the millions of dollars they have in the bank. It's not a realistic to compare a grassroots event that depends on entrants to pay the bills to a multimilliondollar corporation.

With that said, there are plenty of things that need to be fixed when it comes to FGC majors. I've been trying to make this case for a while now. The difference is *how* you go about fixing things. If you do it by crying and boycotting, not only does nothing get done, but your community gets the short end of the stick because TOs become tired of dealing with people who aren't even going to negotiate like adults and are encouraging people not to go to tournaments.

There's a way to handle it.. If people want to get the real issues fixed, we should come to the table like adults. But when you make threads to that end and no one wants to participate, it makes you question how badly people want progress.. Or if they just like blowing things up.

Last edited:

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
MLG is backed by millions of dollars in venture captital. They were sitting on 45 mil before they even begin to take in money from ad revenue from their millions of viewers or collect a venue fee. They have an office and a full-time paid professional staff. They have investors making sure that things stay on target.

Literally, MLG lost money on multiple events and it didn't even matter because of the millions of dollars they have in the bank. It's not a realistic to compare a grassroots event that depends on entrants to pay the bills to a multimilliondollar corporation.

With that said, there are plenty of things that need to be fixed when it comes to FGC majors. I've been trying to make this case for a while now. The difference is *how* you go about fixing things. If you to it by crying and boycotting, not only does nothing get done, but your community gets the short end of the stick because TOs beccome tired of dealing with people who aren't even going to negotiate like adults and are encouraging people not to go to tournaments.

There's a way to handle it.. If people want to get the real issues fixed, we should come to the table like adults. But when you make threads to that end and no one wants to participate, it makes you question how badly people want progress.. Or if they just like blowing things up.
first id like to see a spreadsheet of income vs output for tourneys. Im going to look into this business model and really see what it takes, etc

Im not criticizing i just want to understand why we pay $50.00 for a $10.00-$20.00 exp

And no this isnt directed at UFGT, probably seems that way because its in this thread but its directed at any tourney that fits what i have described

UFGT actually "exp" wise has been one of the better ones by far.

2012 best tourney experiences imo I went to (Non MLG and non evo)
1. UFGT
2. FR (i ran mk, props to me, hold that)

2013 (these 3 were top to bottom excellent on most fronts)
1. SCR
2. CEO
3. TFC

2014 (so far)
1. KIT (no questions asked, awesome)

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
first id like to see a spreadsheet of income vs output for tourneys. Im going to look into this business model and really see what it takes, etc

Im not criticizing i just want to understand why we pay $50.00 for a $10.00-$20.00 exp
For sure.. When this issue came up for the Capcom community one of the TO's made a spreadsheet and posted it on on Eventhubs. If you look for it you can probably find it.

The broader point though, is that we need a baseline standard for majors; right now it's every man for himself, and as long as things are run that way, there's room for all kinds of issues. Like I said in the other thread, everything from the USCF chess federation to the PGA tour has bottomline standards for their events. If people want conditions to improve, we should approach it collectively in a way that makes sense.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
You can also just hit me up. I'd be more than happy to run you through cost structuring for something like UFGT (which is an event that uses your money pretty well honestly).
Can you add me to this convo? It'd be great to go through it.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
I mean....this is the issue here folks.

Were always acting the victim when it comes to our games. Yes, I know were all NRS fan boys/girls but the fact of the matter is a majority (if not all) of these tournaments started as SF tournaments . The fact that NRS games are there in general is extremely flattering and we should be appreciative of that. If keits came here and saw all these comments talking about how hes hating on the NRS scene what incentive does he have to make us more of a priority? Further more, our numbers have never even come close to any SF major so we really shouldnt act all entitled when we struggle to get 80 people while SF gets 250 easy. When your at these tournaments take a second or two to tell the TO theyre doing a great job and we really appreciate them having our game there. Until we start making SF type numbers, the numbers that pay for the fees of the event, we shouldnt even be considering discussing things like this. Cmon folks!
Dink let me buy you Dennys at SCR.