What's new

Turtling Online

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Curious as to how other players here work around people who use latency to their advantage and just stand there and block all game. I'm never going to consider myself anything more than average at the game... but i mean its just annoying. I'm not talking people who are actively trying to zone and attack. I'm gearing this toward the people who just stand there and wait for you to attack, then take advantage of the online not letting you punish there blocked combo or uppercut because lag made my input just slow enough.

Do I just deal with it? This is mainly when I use Mileena btw.

Sirop

Noob
May main character is also Mileena and I know how you feel about that. Maybe that's the result of abusing the teleport drop. It's easy to predict that after you did some damage to the opponent, your next move would be the teleport drop.

webreg

Noob
Mileena has good mixup options so latency should actually favor you. Unless all you do is roll and teleport in which case you wouldn't do any better offline. People standing there and blocking are breakfast for Mileena.

Runefyst

Noob
Yeah, I'm a Mileena user too, and if they're blocking, there's the mixup option. But you could also just put the onus on them to do something. Get a life lead, and then hang back & build meter by shooting sais. Eventually, they'll come out of their shell. :)

webreg

Noob
I realized, the original poster might not be familiar with the options available. Short and sweet:

Player crouching blocking = :u+:bk, any combo
Player standing blocking = :l+:fk, roll, any combo

Or you can simply throw them.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
thanks guys. appreciate your input. Played / watched a much better mileena than I and learned quite a bit. always pressuring with that b+3 and u+4.

Hindsight i probably was just using those two very very punishable moves too much. Still... i can't stand players who just stand there and wait .... drives me nuts.

babalook

Noob
i just played a raiden that would act like his teleport is advantage and would grab or jump after it and there was nothing i could do because of the netcode and i sent him a message saying raiden's teleport is bull online and he responded with people from MKU and TYM can punish just fine online. Can anyone in the world actually punish raiden's teleport online lol(without kano)?

McNasty

Moist.
yeah its possible but online you have to basically read it. offline you can uppercut or fast special on reaction online you have to see the teleport coming due to the input delay. what I like to do against online raiden is go with reptile that way i usually bait the teleport with slow ball then buffer a reverse elbow dash works like a charm usually.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
i just played a raiden that would act like his teleport is advantage and would grab or jump after it and there was nothing i could do because of the netcode and i sent him a message saying raiden's teleport is bull online and he responded with people from MKU and TYM can punish just fine online. Can anyone in the world actually punish raiden's teleport online lol(without kano)?
Here is what i've done... it works just enough to make Raiden hesitate the teleport. d+3. it'll push him back enough and ruin any rushdown.
If it is a great connection you are actually at advantage on his teleport. That means combo if you are quick enough.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Curious as to how other players here work around people who use latency to their advantage and just stand there and block all game. I'm never going to consider myself anything more than average at the game... but i mean its just annoying. I'm not talking people who are actively trying to zone and attack. I'm gearing this toward the people who just stand there and wait for you to attack, then take advantage of the online not letting you punish there blocked combo or uppercut because lag made my input just slow enough.

Do I just deal with it? This is mainly when I use Mileena btw.
That's not an "online strategy". What you're referring to is called "Turtling", which is like "Camping" in FPS's. It may seem more effective online, and it may be, but it's a strategy that applies to online and offline.

Now, beating a turtle is really easy in MK games. Every thing you do causes chip damage to a blocked opponent. Also, in MK9, attacking a blocked opponent builds your meter fairly quickly. So, you're inflicting chip damage and you're building meter while attacking a blocked opponent.

If they're countering your rushdown, you have to bait them into countering, then block and punish. For instance, if you're playing against a Nightwolf, and he's just turtling and waiting for you to rush in to do the shoulder charge, you're going to have to bait it.

There's also always throws, which are very good in MK9.

Other than that, you have two options. Either don't play online, or accept it for what it is. Online is bullshit, especially in MK9. If someone is getting away with a certain tactic because it's laggy or delayed, there's nothing you can do about that. That's one of the many reasons competitive players despise online play. It's just too unreliable and there's too many negative variables for it to be worth it imo.

EDIT: Changed thread title to "Turtling Online" and moved to "Basic Gameplay".

babalook

Noob
i was trying d1 but it was getting jumped over even if i baited it, didn't block, and buffered my moves early he would be able to grab me or jump over me online is bullshat.