What's new

Trouble vs. Smoke

I seem to always have a hard time fighting Smoke with Scorpion.

Against people that I consider equal in skill to me, I almost always lose this matchup. When I pick one of my other characters, I usually have a much easier time.

I really don't know why this is though, because Smoke doesn't seem to really be a counter pick to Scorpion or anything like that.

Anyone have any advice? This is really the only matchup I seem to always have trouble with vs. an equally skilled opponent.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Up close pressure, once your in try all you can to stay there. Dont try to spear, but hellfire is okay at full screen, though i bait these with smoke and drift goes right through for the whiff punish.

When under pressure dont block low. EX Spear has armour so thats nice to get out of pressure, but if you arent blocking low you are just being poked for 1-2% at a time so you can hold your own til you see a gap.

Watch for teleports in the air as they will cross you up, but you can punish him with 11 pressure and if your timings good it should anti air into combo.

Try not to let smoke out once you are in, with the vortex setups and the OTG d3 stuff you can pick him back up into pressure from your combos.

Spears are shakeable, but wiffs will end up worse, so be really careful when anti airing with spear because a well timed teleport from smoke will leave them with full combo on you.

Keep pressuring and locking smoke down and you should be alright, if you anti air well with your teleports and can start up pressure from it then you will do well, as smoke can play this match safely, and only has to watch out for hellfires (which are easily punished by his mobility). EX Teleport is good for getting in if you are really stuck for ideas, but its easy to see coming and punish.

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
I dont like fighting smoke either.

What I usaually do is pick Scorpion (because hes pretty much 5-5 the whole cast and can pretty much play the same against everyone). Try to get the vortex going, get as much dmg as you can, try to stay in and when you can't, do an ex tele (when you think they are alittle to pre ocupied to punish it) if they block, dash fwd and 334 or 33 chain is you don't think they will block. Little tip, the 334 after a blocked tele is impossible to get away from (I think).
And try some mix ups when you've got it through there head that they HAVE to block after a blocked ex tele.

I feel your pain, I for some reason have a hard time fighting smoke too. (Good Smokes)

ELC

Scrublord McGee
The main thing you need to keep in mind while fighting Smoke is that you cannot zone him: you must rush him down.

Other than that, do not block low: all a sweep will give you is a free wake-up and some damage, whereas B2xxSmoke Bomb [yes, this works; not hit-confirmable, but it combos] will have you eating a ton of damage and maybe a reset depending on how much meter Smoke has.

What is he doing that's giving you a hard time?
For the most part, he zones me with Smoke bomb a lot and makes it hard to get in to pressure. When I do get in he'll air teleport a lot to get away. Sometimes he'll try to pressure me, but not very much, it's usually zone and punish.

Some of it is just bad luck on my part, like I'll dash block in a lot and I'll just happen to get hit by a smoke bomb by blocking one frame too late, but that's just an extra annoyance and not really part of the main problem I'm having. He's a heavy blocker, runner and zoner so it's a pain in the ass to even get in to start pressuring

I do way better vs Smoke with Raiden, but I'd rather just improve my Scorpion to best him than switch characters.

ELC

Scrublord McGee
Yeah: getting in is probably the hardest thing to do against Smoke. The best thing to do is NOT to dash-block. Simply walk-forward like a boss, and block if he tries to attack. Dash-blocking is not as effective, as Smoke can easily time a teleport or smoke cloud to punish when you let go. Flameport is an option, but only if they block: on hit, it'll send Smoke right back across the screen.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I actually still use dash block to get in and it works well for me. Anyway what you want to do is move in on him like you said. If he runs just keep backing him to the corner. If he tried to teleport you can block for a full punish, air teleport is not safe either, if anything you can get a d+1 into teleport 111 spear. If he does the smoke teleport to escape the corner I'm pretty sure it can be punished with 11 spear. If not you can at least get some block pressure going on him. Stay on top of him the best you can. I could probably give better advice if I seen you play.

I think you need to learn to rush down with Scorpion. His 1,1,1 pressure is instrumental, and keep in mind that Smoke has no low combo strings, only low pokes. Or if he's just spamming Smoke ball, time it right with a Ex Spear.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
I actually still use dash block to get in and it works well for me. Anyway what you want to do is move in on him like you said. If he runs just keep backing him to the corner. If he tried to teleport you can block for a full punish, air teleport is not safe either, if anything you can get a d+1 into teleport 111 spear. If he does the smoke teleport to escape the corner I'm pretty sure it can be punished with 11 spear. If not you can at least get some block pressure going on him. Stay on top of him the best you can. I could probably give better advice if I seen you play.
funny how 11 spear or even just 111 will lock down smoke , in the corner the only thing you can do is get out with a well judged EX smoke or EX drift, both of which fail alot . Just get smoke moving back into the corner and react to him trying to get out, 11 111 and good reactions on hit confirms will suffice enough because they will stop him getting a drift away.

I hate scorpions who do this, it really is just so disgusting to try and get out of the corner against scorpion, and even when you do he can easily catch up to you with ex teleport and pressure your face some more.

Practice catching the air teleports too, you can D1 into combo with good timing, its by no means a safe or smart move for smoke, so make them regret trying it.