What's new

Top 5 NRS players of all time

In your opinion, who is your top 5 NRS players who is great at ALL 3 games?

• Sonicfox

• DJT

• ForeverKing

• MIT

• Foxy Grampa

• Slayer

• Wound Cowboy

• REO

• Perfect Legend

• Pig of the Hut

• Other (if so, reply in the thread who)

Results are only viewable after voting.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
MKX isn't debatable. Last I remember, I mopped you up for my second EVO medal. Thanks for that by the way, it's hanging on my wall right now.
I mean you have 2016 and I have 2015, seems pretty debatable to me. It was a shame you had to make that top 8 and just get bopped by both your opponents to get 5th, at least when I eliminated you at SCR to get top 8 I took it all the way to 2nd place

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Yeah a first to 10 is a true test of skill, I agree. And when the final score in first to 10 is 10-9 down to the last round, it's pretty clear that the skill was pretty damn equal. There was no back blown out, no 13-0, just a super close set. If I would have made one more right decision or you would have made one more wrong decision history would have been different.
...but it wasn't. And you said you would body me 10-4. That's a mop up of you.

Tweedy

Noob
I'm comparing them right now and they look pretty close to me

MIT 2015 MKX
Midwest Championships 4th
The CommonWealth 5th
ECT 3rd
CEO 2nd
EVO 4th
EGL 5th
Summer Jam 4th
TFC 5th
Defend the North 7th
NEC 5th

Wound Cowboy 2016 MKX
KIT 4th
Combo Breaker 7th
CEO 7th
EVO 5th
SCR 2nd

I would say MIT's 2015 record beats Cowboy's 2016 record. More top 8's, higher place at EVO, etc. They're close, I'm trying to be the most unbias I can but I still give the edge to MIT
Yeah but it's not like TFC and Summerjam got pot bonuses this year. Outside of NEC, Cowboy has traveled to anything worth traveling to and placed.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
I mean you have 2016 and I have 2015, seems pretty debatable to me. It was a shame you had to make that top 8 and just get bopped by both your opponents to get 5th, at least when I eliminated you at SCR to get top 8 I took it all the way to 2nd place
If 5th at EVO is a blow up, i'll take it. Either way, I was playing in top 8 at EVO while you were wandering around looking for your shoes.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
So I'm going to go ahead and spice up this thread a little more, and explain my top 3 and top 5

Sonicfox is the obvious number 1, I don't think there's any debate here. He was #1 in the world in MKX, #1 in the world in Injustice, and probably like top 20 in MK9. But just being #1 in the world in 2/3 NRS games gives him that #1 spot for NRS games in general.

DJT is the obvious number 2. His all-time rank in MKX has to be top 5, he was top 3 for like the whole first year of MKX. In Injustice his overall rank is around top 15 but he got two Evo medals which nobody else besides Theo did, and in MK9 he was probably top 5 in the world. I think he has 5 NRS Evo medals by himself which is the most Evo medals for NRS games of all the NRS players.

I put myself at number 3, and I'll explain why it's obvious in my opinion. In MKX I won multiple stacked majors, I've beaten the top 3 players numerous times (Sonic DJT Foxy), and for most of 2015 I was super consistent with top 8's. My all time rank in MKX is probably top 10, but for a long time I was top 4. In Injustice I was consistent with top 8's from day 1 until the game died, my all time rank was top 4. In MK9 I had a case for top 10 but if I wasn't then at the lowest I was for sure #11-12. I have two Evo medals, although they are both from one game.

In my opinion the only person close to taking that #3 from me would be MIT, not Wound Cowboy. I don't see a possible debate for Cowboy being a better NRS player than me, he may have MKX over me (and that's not even for sure, that's debatable) but I for sure have MK9 and Injustice over him. In MK9 and Injustice I beat way more top players than he did, placed higher at tournaments that we both attended way more times than him, and beat him head to head 100% of the time. So if I have two NRS games over Cowboy and he only has 1 over me, then how could he be a better overall NRS player? I don't see the debate. The debate with me and Cowboy is who has the better MKX record, not who has better NRS in general record.

As for MIT, I would say I have Injustice over him for sure. I most likely have MKX over him and MK9 is debatable. For MKX MIT did get Evo top 8 and was super consistent with top 8 in general in 2015, the only top 8's MIT missed all of 2015 was Combo Breaker and NEC. But my track record for MKX 2015 wasn't bad either, I won majors and I beat players that MIT never beat like DJT and Sonic. But then he stopped playing 2016 and I continued to place top 8 at CEO and NEC, as well as get 9th at Evo. For MK9 I have two Evo top 8's compared to MIT's one Evo top 8, and I probably traveled and placed a little more in general. MK9 is super debatable between me and MIT especially because I don't have our full MK9 records. But as far as results go I'd have to give the nod to myself for Injustice and MKX over MIT. MIT does have 3 Evo medals compared to my 2, and they are all 3 in different games compared to my 2 evo medals being in 1 game so there's that.

So the #4 and #5 spots are between Cowboy and MIT. MIT is beating Cowboy in MK9, Cowboy is beating MIT in Injustice, but who has MKX over the other? It's hard to say, MIT's super conistent resume in 2015 is slightly more impressive then Cowboy's consistent resume in 2016. But then again Cowboy won EGL Dallas, a stacked major. MIT does have 3 Evo medals to Cowboy's 2 Evo medals. It's a tough call but I give the slight edge to MIT

So there you have it. If you want me to give a detailed explanation for #6-10 like this let me know :)
Why not Reo

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
Hype is excellent. Heat is excellent. Good guy vs bad guy is excellent. Especially if it draws people in to watch... Let's not pretend we have a great way for newer people to come into the scene.

TYM in spurts is a great place for them, but tbh 90% of people I know never come here anymore (veteran or newbie) for all kinds of reasons. TYMs mission is great, but the community is just unwelcoming most times, and if we arent taking in more people than are leaving, we have a problem. There's reasons every other fgc for the most part is higher on the totem pole than us. I'm just hoping we are open to change it.
Well, first of all, MKX at EVO has been bigger than any previous NRS game in the past for both of its Evo runs, so I'm not entirely sure there is an issue of growth. At most majors it manages about 120 or so, which is pretty good considering it's a niche title with no legacy. It definitely could be a lot better, especially considering the money that is put up, but the doom and gloom over the community growth seem hyperbolic at worst and hand-wringing at worst.

As far as the unwelcoming thing, I too find this hard to believe. As a matter of fact, I have yet to see another game embrace people's opinions despite doing nothing of merit in an offline contest more than this one. Just like other, more established communities, we do have people who will smack down opinions they find ring false or are misinformed, but this is really no different than most walks of life. General forum hazing is to be expected when entering any community.

FGC culture is actually better than most because unlike, say, fraternity hazing where there really is no way to get past it other than grin and bear it, you can just beat the guys giving you crap. The games themselves may be harsh to non diehards, but I have yet to see the community run out an up and comer. And if that was really the case, I find it hard to believe that person finding success in any game if they are that soft.

Skedar70

Noob
I love how these guys hate each other.

Yeah a first to 10 is a true test of skill, I agree. And when the final score in first to 10 is 10-9 down to the last round, it's pretty clear that the skill was pretty damn equal. There was no back blown out, no 13-0, just a super close set. If I would have made one more right decision or you would have made one more wrong decision history would have been different.

ForeverKing

If 5th at EVO is a blow up, i'll take it. Either way, I was playing in top 8 at EVO while you were wandering around looking for your shoes.
Well anyways, the 2015 results matter too. The first year of a game's life shows the players who pick it up and learn the fastest, but I do agree the 2nd year is more important

ForeverKing

I love how these guys hate each other.

I do agree with this 100%, a loss is a loss. I had to be Burger King for a while I defintely understand, winning's winning lol. All I'm saying is if there's a first to 10 set between two players and the set goes 10-9 down to the last round, you can't really say anything about either player being way better than the other. It's dead even basically, Cowboy was like 51% to my 49%

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
I do agree with this 100%, a loss is a loss. I had to be Burger King for a while I defintely understand, winning's winning lol. All I'm saying is if there's a first to 10 set between two players and the set goes 10-9 down to the last round, you can't really say anything about either player being way better than the other. It's dead even basically, Cowboy was like 51% to my 49%
I really do agree with this. Especially in a game like MKX.

That is probably going to be the best set of MKX, pretty much down to the last hit. Both of you played of your minds.
That isn't a mop.

BUT, Cowboy does deserve to talk smack / shit or whatever you want to call it because of you saying that he wouldn't win more than 4 games. (or whatever it was)

#TeamRyan

ForeverKing

Why not Reo
REO was probably the #1 of MK9 (Sorry Carl) but Injustice he stopped competing like halfway through the game's life. He never even went to any tournaments during Theo's whole dominance or Sonic's whole dominace, he stopped way before both those time periods. Which were the two time periods in the game where Injustice were at it's highest level. In MKX he never did anything after 2015. I don't believe Reo has a single MKX placement in 2016, correct me if I'm wrong

ForeverKing

Yeah but it's not like TFC and Summerjam got pot bonuses this year. Outside of NEC, Cowboy has traveled to anything worth traveling to and placed.
Yeah I agree that Cowboy has 2016 over MIT and MIT has 2015 over him. TFC and Summer Jam were huge tournaments when MIT placed at them, the best of the best at the time were basically in attendence minus Foxy and Cowboy

Pig Of The Hut

Well anyways, the 2015 results matter too. The first year of a game's life shows the players who pick it up and learn the fastest, but I do agree the 2nd year is more important
No I agree w @cR WoundCowboy

The only thing 2015 proved is when a bunch of people move into a house together and do nothing but play MKX they dominate for a temporary period of time because of being able to play it 24/7 but in the end no matter how hard they try, how much they play or what tiers they all pick the Cream rises to the top and then that Cream comes into that building and wins 10-9 in a bad MU then eliminates "THE 3rd Best NRS player" at evo to make top8

Pig Of The Hut

REO was probably the #1 of MK9 (Sorry Carl) but Injustice he stopped competing like halfway through the game's life. He never even went to any tournaments during Theo's whole dominance or Sonic's whole dominace, he stopped way before both those time periods. Which were the two time periods in the game where Injustice were at it's highest level. In MKX he never did anything after 2015. I don't believe Reo has a single MKX placement in 2016, correct me if I'm wrong
Yea I agree actually, some have Reo 3rd I have him closer to 5-6 because of inj and mkx. The huge argument for Reo is he was Sonic fox in mk9, super dominate and inj did get a medal

Pig Of The Hut

No I agree w @cR WoundCowboy

The only thing 2015 proved is when a bunch of people move into a house together and do nothing but play MKX they dominate for a temporary period of time because of being able to play it 24/7 but in the end no matter how hard they try, how much they play or what tiers they all pick the Cream rises to the top and then that Cream comes into that building and wins 10-9 in a bad MU then eliminates "THE 3rd Best NRS player" at evo to make top8
Also idk why I feel like I have to say this (because I always get accused of this) but ^ this is in no way meant to be personal or insulting - super lighthearted jab @YOMI FOREVER KING