What's new

Top 10 games to commemorate the outgoing console generation

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
The problem with the "newer" single player games are the MASSIVE QUANTITIES OF QUICK TIME EVENTS.... rather than actually letting ME TEH PLAYER do the fun shit.
man QTE's have got to mother fucking die.

I want to do the super awesome thing because I did it, not because i pushed "X".

Anyway

Bioshock (the 2nd one doesn't count)
The Last of Us
MK9
MSG4
Red Dead
Hal0 3
COD 4
.... then it gets merky.
AC series (2 was most def. the best of the bunch by a long shot *Brotherhood goes in here*)
Portal (both)
i don't understand why people hate qte's i really don't, they don't bother me one bit.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
i don't understand why people hate qte's i really don't, they don't bother me one bit.
They bother me when they're overused.

Especially in games where the QTE is used to beat a boss. Instead of using the tools/skills I've been using a developing throughout the game.... the main battle is simply me pressing buttons?

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
i thought overall this generation was kinda whack but here are some games that i really liked

Uncharted series - IMO best action/adventure series i played in a while. really over the top die hard style bullshit and actually about interesting shit. awesome platforming and combat.

SoulCalibur 5 - i think its the best in the series and its one of the more balanced fighting games out there. i really like the changes that they made to the system and i find it to be by far the most hype game thats played in fighting game tournaments. every character has made top 8 since the last patch. the only thign we needed to do was ban an infinite and viola (who is banned in france and germany) still hasnt shown to give the worse player the advantage. i dont care what peole say about the evo 2k13 side tournament, KineticClash is a fucking amazing player who was playing a mid tier character and made top 8s. give him the best character int he game and you know damn well hes going to bop some scrubs. this game is also the first game that i took really seriously competitively, and its home of the community i fell in love with.

Injustice - even though i have problems with this game, i still have a lot of fun with it. have met a lot of great people through it and i really like the community. lots of competition and its really fun. a few things i ahve problems with, such as grabs losing to armor and how many times it got patched but the latest version as of the past few weeks as really grown on me.

MGS4 - great action game. not really true mgs style but i wrapped up the series very well and has a lot of replayability

Persona 4 (idgaf if its ps2 it still came out well into ps3's lifespan) - IMO this is one of the most satisfying RPGs ive played in a while. Story was great, dating sim elements actually worked out really well and all the characters were really likeable. I also really enjoyed the setting of it and i felt that it was a very long game that had little to no filler.

Donkey Kong Country Returns - not much to say here, just really good old school platforming fun that we unfortunately dont see enough of these days

Shin Megami Tensei 4 - Idk if you want to consider 3ds to be part of this gen but i think this is by far one of the best RPGs ive played in a while. amazing story, quick, yet challenging battle system, plenty of possiblities of parties with demon fusion and what not, plenty of side quests, amazing atmosphere and really fucking amazing metaphors that are brought up in the story. if you are an RPG fan you MUST try this game. its kind of old schoolish which to me is a huge plus.

Axel_Redd

They bother me when they're overused.

Especially in games where the QTE is used to beat a boss. Instead of using the tools/skills I've been using a developing throughout the game.... the main battle is simply me pressing buttons?
well i play god of war a lot, and i have no probs using qte's to finish off a boss. i think their awesome.

1. Street Fighter X Tekken ver. 2012 - the most under appreciated fighting game ever
2. Skullgirls - genius game with no player base, like sfxt
3. Street Fighter 4 - changed FGC forever
4. heavy rain - never even played it, just watched a playthrough. fucking awesome
5. half life 2 (if that counts)
6. skyrim - never even beat it but 60 good hours worth and it was fun

idk i barely play non fighting games anymore i get bored of them quickly

Axel_Redd

1. Street Fighter X Tekken ver. 2012 - the most under appreciated fighting game ever
2. Skullgirls - genius game with no player base, like sfxt
3. Street Fighter 4 - changed FGC forever
4. heavy rain - never even played it, just watched a playthrough. fucking awesome
5. half life 2 (if that counts)
6. skyrim - never even beat it but 60 good hours worth and it was fun

idk i barely play non fighting games anymore i get bored of them quickly
im gonna play more skyrim once i get the legendary edition.

CamChattic

Eternal Champion of Justice
trustinme From the perspective of just pure combat 4 is my favorite. Dante with all of his different options available at all times. The deeper glitches like jump cancelling. Nero is an absolute blast to play while his overall option tree is smaller than DmC Dante's the options he had were varied useful and always viable. The main beef I have about DmC is the lack of lock on like come on its 2013 whats this shit about having no lock on in a 3d action game sure gow gets by without it but gow is a glorified isometric angle action game its combat is with a static camera and everything down to the mechanics reflects this.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
In no particular order...

The Last of Us
Oblivion
Skyward Sword
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Gears of War 1
MK9
IGAU
Metal Gear Solid 4
Dragon Age: Origins
Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
My list in no particular order

MK9
IGAU
Assassins Creed series
GTA V
Max Payne 3
Borderlands series
Rock Band series
The Walking Dead(Telltale)
Fallout New Vegas
Left 4 Dead series

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Mortal Kombat
Injustice
Uncharted
Gears of War
Ninja Gaiden 2
Batman Arkham Asylum
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Fallout 3
Mass Effect 2
Red Read Redemption

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
Mortal Kombat
Gears of War 1
Halo 3
Dead Space 2
Left For Dead 2
Battlefield 3
Unreal Tournament 3
Batman: Arkham City
Injustice
GTA V

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
* Uncharted 1,2 & 3 (i will miss this 3 :( )
* God of war III (that shit was godlike)
* Injustice
* MK9
* Bioshock 1,2 & infinite (i don't care, this games were simply godlike, the storyline, the graphics, the EVERYTHING was just perfect. My favorite game of all times, i had a lo of fun with this game :( I kinda miss Bioshock 1 & 2)
* Batman Arkham Ayslum

EGGXI

Scary Bat
MK9
Injustice
Halo Reach (Unpopular choice probably)
Batman Arkham City
The Last of Us
Borderlands
Bioshock
Fallout 3
Dawn of War 2
The Walking Dead

Metal Gear Solid 4
Uncharted Series
Bioshock Infinite
Call of Duty Series
Street Fighter 4 (and all of it's updates)
MvC3
Halo 3
Last of Us
GTA V
Mass Effect Series

Honorable mention:
Skyrim
Borderlands
Infamous 2
God of War 3
NBA 2k11
King Of Fighters 13
Injustice
Guitar Hero series
Battlefield series
Assassins Creed Series
Gears series
Portal 2
Gran Turismo 5
Mortal Kombat 9
Tekken Tag 2

GGA Saucy Jack

The artist formerly known as ImNewbieSauce
I dont think I can do ten, so hard to do the end of the list. But based on my amount of time played...

MK9 - got me back in to fighting games and brought me here. Its beautiful

IGAU - I dont like comics at all. Ive been blown up for not knowing who Green Lantern was before this game countless times. And yet here I am, playing thousands of hours.

Skyrim - only game ive ever played that competes with ocarina, golden eye, and gta 3 for being generation changing. A masterpiece.

L4d1 and 2 - if you know me, you know why. What an amazing pair of games.

Borderlands 1 - the 2nd one let me down, but only because the 1st one was so godlike.

Mass Effect 1,2 and 3 - I cant say enough about this series. 2 was the pinnacle, but 1 and 3 had awesome aspects as well. So good.

COD 4 - I mean....what else is there to say. Revolutionized multiplayer shooters

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
trustinme From the perspective of just pure combat 4 is my favorite. Dante with all of his different options available at all times. The deeper glitches like jump cancelling. Nero is an absolute blast to play while his overall option tree is smaller than DmC Dante's the options he had were varied useful and always viable. The main beef I have about DmC is the lack of lock on like come on its 2013 whats this shit about having no lock on in a 3d action game sure gow gets by without it but gow is a glorified isometric angle action game its combat is with a static camera and everything down to the mechanics reflects this.
from a combat perspective dmc 4 is very strong although I feel Nero is abit overpowered.that level where u have to go through the different routes in the graveyard over and over again killed the experience for me,maybe ill give it another play through at some point.the reboot having no lock on didnt effect me at all.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
yes, absolutely

Morrownd is still light yeas ahead of both but that was last gen. Skyrim is just watered down and doesn't really bring anything new to the table thats worth while

not couting PC versions ofc
It brought Dragons!

lol.. But I kinda get what you're saying. I never played Morrowind, Oblivion was my first Elder Scrolls Game.

axeman87

Noob
In no order..

- MK9 -
- Injustice -
- Halo Series -
- Gears of War Series -
- Borderlands 1 -
- Too Human -
- Need for Speed Most Wanted (2005) -
- Assassins Creed 1 & 2 (yet to play the rest) -
- Ghost Recon Series -
- Bioshock 1 -

EGGXI

Scary Bat
Unreal Tournament 3
Really? I mean it was enjoyable and the graphics was a nice update but man, fuck Epic & Midway for changing it to a military based thing, they literally took the Tournament out of Unreal Tournament.

Also I missed the colour and a lot of the fun stuff UT2004 had to offer. I hope the next Unreal isn't a sequel to 3.

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
Really? I mean it was enjoyable and the graphics was a nice update but man, fuck Epic & Midway for changing it to a military based thing, they literally took the Tournament out of Unreal Tournament.

Also I missed the colour and a lot of the fun stuff UT2004 had to offer. I hope the next Unreal isn't a sequel to 3.
I don't really care about the story stuff (which they obviously tried to bank off of GoW). UT is all about the multiplayer, UT3 played great and had tight weapons and graphics. UT2k4 was better, and nothing will top UT99. But I played UT3 hella so it deserves a spot this gen. I'd consider UT2k4 last gen. Sad Epic forgot about UT, no word on a UT4 :(

EGGXI

Scary Bat
I don't really care about the story stuff (which they obviously tried to bank off of GoW). UT is all about the multiplayer, UT3 played great and had tight weapons and graphics. UT2k4 was better, and nothing will top UT99. But I played UT3 hella so it deserves a spot this gen. I'd consider UT2k4 last gen. Sad Epic forgot about UT, no word on a UT4 :(
Fair, it just felt all grey and too GoW-like, but I guess that's just the engine. I played it a shit load too, I was so hype when it came out. UT2004 was def last gen. Hope there will be a UT4, they've got the Unreal 4 Engine so maybe they are working on it? Did you ever play Unreal Championship 2? Playing as Raiden was sick