What's new

This should be considered for a future game

are you tired of good fighting against evil?

• Total voters
What exactly defines someone or something as Evil or Good? There is no such thing. It's all a matter of perception. What if I were to say this thread is evil? :DOGE

trufenix

bye felicia
I'm not sure if the goal of this thread is to pitch some sort of MK evil all stars or just a radical change in the plot, either way its a stupid idea. Speaking of;

I personally think every second wasted creating canon for a fighting game to cater to some bullshit notion of what makes a game legit is fucking pathetic when all those man hours and dollars could go into, you know, balance.

So fuck good vs. evil stuff. I can't be bothered.
You're right writers and artists should DEFINITELY be involved in conversations about balance and code. Every line of dialogue written is just one more balance tweak that should've been made by someone who has no idea how to do it. In fact, lets get the audio guys and marketing guys in on it too.

I am very interested in the story and I couldn't care less for the competitive aspects of the game. What lenghtens the lifespawn of a franchise for me is an interesting story and lovable characters. Also, I don't think this subject is irrelevant at all and I don't understand people's hostility. Sometimes you try way to hard to be funny.

I like the classic good vs evil thing. I would like it if the characters were a bit more developed on their motivations though.
Few characters are inherently evil or good I believe.
Liu Kang, Raiden, Johnny, Sonya, Kitana, Li Mei, Jax are all good (most of them are from earthrealm, we're supposed to relate to them I guess).
Shang Tsung, Shao Kahn, Kano, Quan Chi, Shinok are evil.

Most of the rest of the characters are just caught up in one side and too stupid to think beyond it or do whatever's good for them at the moment.

I wouldn't say Baraka, Mileena, Reptile, Sektor, Scorpion or Sheeva are evil. Maybe Tanya. She only cares about herself but killing everyone in the way, so she's evil.

There are technicalities on the other characters due to their own storylines within the main story, I guess the characters alliance gives the first impression of good or evil unless you delve more into the individual backstories. I liked Bo Rai Cho as he taught Liu Kang the moves he need to know to win the first 2 tournaments.

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
Not really. I didn't start caring about it until it became vaguely competitive.
Then you can probably stop caring. Mkx pretty much ensured it won't have great balance by introducing variations. But NRS knows that the worth of MK isn't measured by just how competitively viable it is. Take fatalities for example. They add nothing to gameplay but they are a MK trademark. Balance is obviously important, but it is lower in the list of priorities for MK than it is for some other fighters like SF.

I honestly never really saw Mortal Kombat as being 'good versus evil' - more like 'evil vs less evil'.

After all, literally everyone is willing to kill their opponent in ways that clearly show them getting some sort of sadistic enjoyment out of it - no 'only killing as a last resort' philosophy here. The likes of Raiden, Earthrealm warriors etc. are clearly less evil than their adversaries (who have no redeeming qualities whatsoever), but I'd struggle to call their side 'good'.

Reactions: eks
Before the reboot Liu Kang did not kill in MK1, 2 and onwards was supposed to be in retaliation for his fallen brothers. Since the reboot this fact seems to be overlooked.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
You're right writers and artists should DEFINITELY be involved in conversations about balance and code. Every line of dialogue written is just one more balance tweak that should've been made by someone who has no idea how to do it. In fact, lets get the audio guys and marketing guys in on it too.
Yeah, that's literally the exact point that I was making. Not, say, instead of having the writers on payroll, divert the money to the programmers to make the competitive aspect suck less.

But hey, I agree with your point about that point you decided to say I was making. The guy who said that sucks.

Then you can probably stop caring. Mkx pretty much ensured it won't have great balance by introducing variations.
I disagree with this. The only fighters I can think of that implemented a system close to this (Arcana Heart/Melty Blood) are actually relatively balanced. And Melty Blood actually does that while the story is literally it's only reason for existing because it started out as a manga or some shit. NRS really has no excuse. And I still wonder how much better Melty Blood would be if the budget for the visual novel aspect went into the gameplay development.

But NRS knows that the worth of MK isn't measured by just how competitively viable it is.
Option select: "Fucking obviously"/"at least that's what people can tell themselves."

Take fatalities for example. They add nothing to gameplay but they are a MK trademark.
I primarily play with the No Blood code activated to bypass this aspect. Even various competitive venues had this in place as a standard operating procedure at least at some point in time.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Yeah, that's literally the exact point that I was making. Not, say, instead of having the writers on payroll, divert the money to the programmers to make the competitive aspect suck less.
I agree, but there are so much people you can assign to certain aspects of development before they start meddling with each other's work. Especially if it's programming. As for balance, testers will still be unable to rival testing capabilities of entire community once the game is released.

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
@Vilén
Look pal, I'm not a big fan of the gimmicks myself. Chess kombat, motor kombat and things like that I couldn't care less about. But the canon story is just too important an aspect to leave out. This is about the MK brand. As a fighting game MK is good, but you could find better. But as a brand MK trumps SF, Tekken, KOF and anything of the sort. The story is a big part of that. That is not something NRS can afford to omit. You can of course wish for it, but it's not going to happen. I'm hoping for a very balanced game as well, but it can't come at the expense of story.

eddsol

Noob
@Vilén
Look pal, I'm not a big fan of the gimmicks myself. Chess kombat, motor kombat and things like that I couldn't care less about. But the canon story is just too important an aspect to leave out. This is about the MK brand. As a fighting game MK is good, but you could find better. But as a brand MK trumps SF, Tekken, KOF and anything of the sort. The story is a big part of that. That is not something NRS can afford to omit. You can of course wish for it, but it's not going to happen. I'm hoping for a very balanced game as well, but it can't come at the expense of story.
I do see your point and I do Understand that they can not go back in time to change the story again.
But by making this thread I mean that as an Idea it could be interesting to break out of the cliche of bad vs evil.
In my opinion there is no point of having earth realm because to me it doesnt make any sense to have people from earth realm like sonya, kano, jax, Johnny cage, etc and then make them save supernatural abilities.