What's new

The Wii-U discussion thread

TLDR for that article.

Microsoft/Sony were approached by a Motion Control inventor/patent holder, and they turned down the offer. Apparently Nintendo was/is failing as a console maker. The company was sinking. Nintendo were going under reconstruction of the company, and in desperation Nintendo buys the idea of Motion Control, in conclusion the Wii I guess, saved Nintendo from failure and helped sell 100 million consoles.
100 millions consoles sold at a profit!

Flagg

Noob
Pig Of The Hut Saying that they were amazing games that didn't run well is a paradox. If they didn't run well, the games would suck, because the difficulties would start out weighing the game mechanics. That clearly wasn't the case.

I dont care if Perfect Dark was running at 3 fps, the game was still fun, I found it fun, and so did 2.5 million other people. The game was praised for how brilliantly technical it was and how good the AI was at the time.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
over priced yes,

will it be worth it in like a year?? YES

The controller is phenominal, one of the coolest things I've held in my hand, wish I could get one at launch cause I'm a fan boy, but games wise it's not worth it yet,

Keep in mind this will be great for my family in a year as I have a wife that will play games,
and right now my daughter is 3 and my son is almost 2,

my daughter already knows how to play dora games on wii, and DS, so in another year this will be a great addition to family night with board games and hide and seek as well,

I think thats just what nintendo is now, a family machine with a few HardCore nintendo gems here and there, and I'm happy with that, I just won't pay 300 for it yet,

LONG LIVE NINTENDO though, because without them, no company would try inovate and change games for the better,

360 and PS are pussys for that shit ;)

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Pig Of The Hut Saying that they were amazing games that didn't run well is a paradox. If they didn't run well, the games would suck, because the difficulties would start out weighing the game mechanics. That clearly wasn't the case.

I dont care if Perfect Dark was running at 3 fps, the game was still fun, I found it fun, and so did 2.5 million other people. The game was praised for how brilliantly technical it was and how good the AI was at the time.
the people who enjoyed it didnt have a PC or never played a FPS on pc

Gurpwnder

Saikyo Student
The main problem I have with the console is the tablet controller.
I read somewhere that the console can't support multiple tablets well, so this creates 2 scenarios:

1) A divided multiplayer experience, where 4 people play with regular controllers and one person plays with the tablet.

2) If there are games that don't require the tablet, then Nintendo is pretty much releasing a current gen HD console (Xbox360, PS3) as a next gen console. This is great for people who enjoy Nintendo's IPs (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon, etc), but the main draw of the Wii U is then wasted.

I personally used to enjoy Nintendo's exclusive games, but ever since they started looking to their 'blue ocean' market, a lot of their games became too easy and therefore not quite as entertaining for me.

Also, it appears that arcade sticks will need to be plugged into the Wiimote, meaning they are essentially wireless sticks, which probably won't be good news for tournies. (Source http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/10/hori_set_to_release_wii_u_arcade_stick_at_launch)

Flagg

Noob
the people who enjoyed it didnt have a PC or never played a FPS on pc
OMG, people had PC's and were playing Doom and Quake back then as well! I'd be really interested to know what the sales of Quake 1, 2, 3 and 4 were like compared to Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and Turok 1 and 2.

I liked all the fps games back then.

Okay, how about this, games like Quake, Goldeneye, Turok were all visually and technically superior to the Doom series, yet most people will still say they prefer Doom for one reason: waves and waves and waves of enemies to fight, hundreds on screen at once, against just you. 3d fps games still struggle with too much happening on the screen at once. Most systems would struggle if they made a pure 3d version of doom 2 with 20-30 demons running at you all at once.

Anyways, Doom 4, iDtech5 is what i'm most hype for next year, which im hearing is going to be more like Doom 2, than Doom3. Also hearing a sequel to Quake 3 (which was fucking amazing) is also in the pipeline.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
OMG, people had PC's and were playing Doom and Quake back then as well! I'd be really interested to know what the sales of Quake 1, 2, 3 and 4 were like compared to Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and Turok 1 and 2.

I liked all the fps games back then.

Okay, how about this, games like Quake, Goldeneye, Turok were all visually and technically superior to the Doom series, yet most people will still say they prefer Doom for one reason: waves and waves and waves of enemies to fight, hundreds on screen at once, against just you. 3d fps games still struggle with too much happening on the screen at once. Most systems would struggle if they made a pure 3d version of doom 2 with 20-30 demons running at you all at once.

Anyways, Doom 4, iDtech5 is what i'm most hype for next year, which im hearing is going to be more like Doom 2, than Doom3. Also hearing a sequel to Quake 3 (which was fucking amazing) is also in the pipeline.
Dude the only thing i care about is when i sit down if the games plays like shit and has a FR of a 286 mhz I am not interested

Wii System Memory: 88 MB main memory (24 MB internal 1T-SRAM integrated into graphics package, 64 MB external GDDR3 SDRAM)

And for s'n'gs:
N64 System Memory: 4 megabytes of RAMBUS RDRAM (expandable to 8 MB with the Expansion Pak)
It's amazing N64 games worked at all
It amazes me that the Wii-U doesn't have an internal HD this time around.

$300-$350 is a great price point for this technology. Though it all depends on whether people want the technology packaged--an example of this not working is the PS3 at launch. The original PS3 was quite a bargain for the technology packed in:

Card reader
Blu-Ray Player
DVD
Of course, gaming
Online Service
Overall Media Device Manager (music, videos, pictures)
Capable of running split OS

All of this for $600! However, 95% of people didn't care about the majority of those things, so to them it seemed overpriced.

Now look at the Wii U compared to current consoles:

More powerful
Overall Media Device (Netflix, Hulu, etc.)
Gaming
Serves as a remote
Etc.

Current Gen consoles cost about the same or slightly less than the Wii U, and they all perform very similar functions. Being that the current generation of consoles at this price point have sold very well, and add to that Nintendo has sold every unit it produced of a new console during the first 6 months after launch, and there you have it.

It will sell out absolutely everywhere, and the reason for that is that the majority of people find it to be worth the price. Most people that rag on Nintendo properties must not understand how business works--these companies live and die to create IPs that will build a legion of loyal fans. Do you think Nintendo are going to abandon their flagship properties because a couple of hardcore gamers online make fun of their console? I assure you, they will not care.

With that being said, I personally do not care for the majority of the content on Nintendo consoles, however, I do enjoy most of their 1st party content. I do see a change coming in that Nintendo seems to be embracing the more hardcore 3rd party properties and realize they need to be part of their gameplan to continue their dominant success in the console market. I look forward to this change, as well as their always stellar 1st party content.

1 more bonus to the Wii U launch is that when it sells like gangbusters, Sony and Microsoft will start talking about their next-gen offering, which I am very excited to hear about :)

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
1 more bonus to the Wii U launch is that when it sells like gangbusters, Sony and Microsoft will start talking about their next-gen offering, which I am very excited to hear about :)
Exactly; the only positive thing out of this is that we will now hear about the actual next-gen.

$300-$350 is a great price point for this technology. Though it all depends on whether people want the technology packaged--an example of this not working is the PS3 at launch. The original PS3 was quite a bargain for the technology packed in:

Card reader
Blu-Ray Player
DVD
Of course, gaming
Online Service
Overall Media Device Manager (music, videos, pictures)
Capable of running split OS

All of this for $600! However, 95% of people didn't care about the majority of those things, so to them it seemed overpriced.

Now look at the Wii U compared to current consoles:

More powerful
Overall Media Device (Netflix, Hulu, etc.)
Gaming
Serves as a remote
Etc.

Current Gen consoles cost about the same or slightly less than the Wii U, and they all perform very similar functions. Being that the current generation of consoles at this price point have sold very well, and add to that Nintendo has sold every unit it produced of a new console during the first 6 months after launch, and there you have it.

It will sell out absolutely everywhere, and the reason for that is that the majority of people find it to be worth the price. Most people that rag on Nintendo properties must not understand how business works--these companies live and die to create IPs that will build a legion of loyal fans. Do you think Nintendo are going to abandon their flagship properties because a couple of hardcore gamers online make fun of their console? I assure you, they will not care.

With that being said, I personally do not care for the majority of the content on Nintendo consoles, however, I do enjoy most of their 1st party content. I do see a change coming in that Nintendo seems to be embracing the more hardcore 3rd party properties and realize they need to be part of their gameplan to continue their dominant success in the console market. I look forward to this change, as well as their always stellar 1st party content.

The PS3 sold every console at a loss, The Wii-U will be selling every console at a profit.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
this is why a lot of Wiis were sold too.
Pretty much lol. The only reason I bought a Gamecube was for Melee, and the only reason I bought a Wii was for Brawl. Of course I bought a few games here and there both systems, but I really didn't care about any of them except for Brawl/Melee.

Although I will have to admit, Gamecube had alot of great games

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Pretty much lol. The only reason I bought a Gamecube was for Melee, and the only reason I bought a Wii was for Brawl. Of course I bought a few games here and there both systems, but I really didn't care about any of them except for Brawl/Melee.

Although I will have to admit, Gamecube had alot of great games
Ill tell you one thing the gamecube didn't have...

a good controller.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
Ill tell you one thing the gamecube didn't have...

a good controller.
I didn't mind it. It was comfortable to me. The only time I really care about how a control feels is for fighting games, and the only fighting game on gamecube I played was Melee. And the gamecube control feels fine on that

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Find it kinda funny how people are holding it to it's launch line-up, like come on, what was the last system that actually had a killer app ready and waiting at launch, the Xbox 1?

But um, yeah, Nintendo misses the point once again. I'm still yet to buy a 3DS also which will have Mario Kart 7 and Smash Bros 4 waiting for me by the time I get one. Stay free Wii-U(nacceptable).

This better be compatible

Considering it plugs into the Wiimote, I don't see why not.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
LONG LIVE NINTENDO though, because without them, no company would try inovate and change games for the better,

360 and PS are pussys for that shit ;)
Atari and Sega are the only gaming hardware manufacturers that were all about games from the get go, look where they are now.
*weeps*

Go make cards Fraudtendo ;_;

WayoftheFist

Cold day in hell...
Id argue N64 was shit because even on release day their games on launch had to have ridiculous adjustments due to the console not being able to handle the content programmed and stored

Perfect dark Frame rate to this day is ATROCIOUS piece of shit

killer instinct had to remove tons of content

matter of fact ever 3rd party developer bitched and moaned except nintendo

and the gamecube was a huge asian pile of ass
Very good points but I wouldn't quite lump the N64 in with the shit that has followed it. The first party content alone is enough for me to say it's better than that (Star Fox 64 will forever be a favorite of mine), then you add in the RARE titles other than KI Gold (which I can say I still enjoy anyway). I honestly never noticed the Perfect Dark frame rate back then, and it hasn't ruined the game for me now. While it wasn't as good as the Playstation I definitely can't see the N64 as shit. Too many games that were crazy fun then and now are on that console.

More related to the point of the thread: Anything I can say about the Wii U has already been said in this thread. For me personally unless they make a serious effort to relate to gamers like myself instead of making gimmicky shit to plug into the console I just can't justify the purchase. I bought a Wii and over the years I've been seriously disappointed with it. Frankly it sucks to see Nintendo going further down that road, and it sucks even more with what Sony and Microsoft are going to bring to the table; which will be a continuation and an expansion of what has made them a force in the gaming market.

Flagg

Noob

I have to admit, some of those games look pretty good. Glad that they are going back to releasing games that guys like us like to play. Liking the look of Mass Effect, Aliens, Project P and Trine.

Lol at Tekken and Heihachi getting mushroom boost.