What's new

The Ultimate Kano Guide

Brahma

Noob
Was trying to test some wakeups after b+112, dash, b+11, knife before my PS3 died. It seems that a deep j.1/2 or dash will beat some wakes after the wakeup invincibility wear off. Anyone else mind taking a look into this.

Xstatic

Noob
Was trying to test some wakeups after b+112, dash, b+11, knife before my PS3 died. It seems that a deep j.1/2 or dash will beat some wakes after the wakeup invincibility wear off. Anyone else mind taking a look into this.
I will try this out online tonight. I will try using j3/4 as well (to option select into air-throw, which will also allow more pressure). I might also get some lab work done this weekend with friends.

Xstatic

Noob
I just did a quick test against Sub-Zero. If he rolls and does a wake-up slide, jp will hit. Ice clone gets him away. If he doesn't roll, his wake-up slide will hit.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I just did a quick test against Sub-Zero. If he rolls and does a wake-up slide, jp will hit. Ice clone gets him away. If he doesn't roll, his wake-up slide will hit.
It's hard (impossible) to keep pressure on a good Sub-Zero player. Any sort of jump-based offense is completely nullified. You just can't jump in on the guy. And between wakeup slide and wakeup clone there's no safe way to maintain wakeup pressure. Do you play on XBL, Xstatic?

Xstatic

Noob
PSN. I wanted to try Sub-Zero because his slide has invincibility frames (8 frames), but it also takes 10 frames to start-up. If this strategy worked against him, it'll work against other similar wake-ups. This would still be good against those without good wake-up options like Quan Chi or Cyrax, though.

Brahma

Noob
What about dash j.1/2? It crosses them up and takes a little longer so those trying to wakeup attack a non-dash j.1/2 might whiff or get hit after invincible frames. Only problem is I think they can dash forward under Kano's jump to bring it to a neutral situation, but they'd have to be expecting it in the first place. Probably has use on a case by case basis.

Still without this setup, knife as a combo ender allows you a lot of time to set up. A dash after puts you at a good range for mixup with sweep_f+3_b+2_b+1.

Also been having a lot of success catching backrollers with Xray in general.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
The Ultimate Kano Guide has been updated. A little color has been added to make it easier to navigate, some new information has been added, and old information has been better-organized. You'll notice that the kombos no longer list damage %. That's because I took out the JP starters as part of the kombos, but because my xbox is in repair I am unable to see how much the kombos do now. That info will be provided shortly. Enjoy!

Great guide, I can't wait to put it to use once i get a good controller. Too bad the timing is too strict for a wireless xbox controller.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Great guide, I can't wait to put it to use once i get a good controller. Too bad the timing is too strict for a wireless xbox controller.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: If you're going to play Kano you should invest in a $40 SVIV fightpad. It's the one with the floating d-pad that looks like a 6-button sega-genesis controller. I know Tim_Static was selling an Akuma one for $30. Best 3rd-party controller I've ever bought. I even use it for my NES and SNES emulators!

Gthunda866

Lazer Eye!
I've said it before and I'll say it again: If you're going to play Kano you should invest in a $40 SVIV fightpad. It's the one with the floating d-pad that looks like a 6-button sega-genesis controller. I know Tim_Static was selling an Akuma one for $30. Best 3rd-party controller I've ever bought. I even use it for my NES and SNES emulators!
I just use a stick I know playing MK9 with a stick, crazy

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
A stick is great, but for those not wanting to invest $100+ in a controller, the SFIV fightpad is a very good substitute!

Thanks, I got The TE round 2 fightstick because I'll use it for ssf4 and all the fighting games announced like king of fighters 13, soul caliber 5, and Tekken Tag
and my precious, the razer onza TE for my birthday

The bnbs I've been using are:
b112>>212>>f11(choke) 31%
f3b2(walk)212>>f11(choke)28%

Corner: f3b2-212-33(choke)31% (undoable online)
b112-212-212-1(choke)33%

As you can tell I'm a heavy choke user :D but you can but up ball or ball as the combo enders instead if you want.

Massive Kano

Black Dragon
I'm never been overly fond of sticks for MK in any case. Tap friendly directional inputs seems custom made for pads, despite the series' origin as an arcade game.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I'm about to get this posted in the OP, but as far as a kombo that's a nice mix of reliability and damage, I've started using b1-1-2, dash, b-1-1-2, dash, Upball. I'll have to doublecheck the damage before I get it posted but if I remember correctly it does 32% from a JP starter, and it's very reliable. It's also great as a punisher, especially against blocked teleports.

Massive Kano

Black Dragon
I have trouble reliably ending that one. The upball seems to whiff a lot. Probably just me. B+1, 1, 2, dash, B+1, 2, upball is easier for me.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I have trouble reliably ending that one. The upball seems to whiff a lot. Probably just me. B+1, 1, 2, dash, B+1, 2, upball is easier for me.
For some reason I cannot get the b1-2, Upball to connect online. It's the most retarded thing ever because it's an easy string, but for the life of me it just will not come out. I can do it 100% of the time in practice, just not online. I would think the dash-Upball would be harder to connect with, but for some reason I have a lot more success with it online, and it does 2% more damage. I think it's just a matter of nailing your dash timing. The good news is that the recovery on a whiffed Upball is so good that even if it does whiff it leaves me adjacent to my opponent, and I can maintain offensive pressure.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Epic thread. you ought to produce it in video form for YouTube.
Thanks! I'm in the process of saving up for some HD recording equipment. Once I can put on some better videos and tweak the guide I might do something like that.

Dat Al

Stay Frosty
I have the same problem as you. I can land the b112 b12 upball string no problem offline, but drop it all the time online. I dont know if this has been mentioned before, but I started doing f1, 2 instead of b1, 2. I find it much easier as you dont need to dash all the way forward, and Kano lunges forward for the f1 which helps to aid in connecting the string. It does 28 percent, so I can live with a 1 percent difference if it means I will always land the combo.

Ruuku1012

Real Talker
For pressure I use b112 dash d1xxChoke a lot. One interesting note is that b112 dash d1xxChoke combos on hit.

doomfarmer

unorthodox
I cannot believe I didn't see this thead before. Karaokelove, WOW man, it really shows how much work you put into this guide! Fantastic job!

I think we should discuss maximizing meter building since Kano's x-ray is a game changer.
On Block
8 knife throws= 1bar
8 chokes= 1 bar
4 b2f1(choke)= 1.2 bar
4 f11(choke)= 1.2bar
4 21(choke)= 1.2bar
4 b112= 1.1 bar
4 212= 1.1 bar
5 4(choke)= 1.1 bar
5 3(choke)= 1.1 bar
12 d1= 1.1 bar
6 f12= 1.1 bar
7 upball= very slightly over 1 bar
2 b112,d1(choke)= just under 1 bar. 3 b112,d1(choke)= about 1.4 bar
5 f11= just under 1 bar. 6 f11= 1.1 bar

On whiff
27 Air Grab= 1 bar
27 Knife Throws= 1 bar
27 Choke= 1 bar
17 Upballs= 1 bar

Just going to add these measurements aren't 100% exact, something I said was 1.1 bar might actually be 1.15 bar, but that extra bit is neglible to me. Also if you find any inaccuracies with these figures please tell me, these were done a while ago but after his knives and upball got nerfed.