What's new

"The truth about E-Cigs...?"

Should E-Cigs be banned in public places?

• Yes

Votes: 25 61.0%
  • No

Votes: 16 39.0%

• Total voters

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
That's a terrible way to go about believing things. We don't believe something until there is good reason to believe it. This whole "science hasn't proven they aren't harmful" is ass backwards.

That same reasoning is why parents aren't fucking vaccinating their kids.
Firstly I want to clarify I meant ban the use of them in public places, not ban them completely. That was my bad. What you do at home or with friends is of no consequence to me.

Secondly, it isnt ass backwards to want proof that they are not harmful. When lite cigarettes where first produced they were shown to be "better than cigarettes" when in reality they werent. You really think e-cig companies dont worry about money too? As of right now they could put anything in them since there is no regulation. And when the FDA tries to regulate them e-cig companies try to sue, that seems fishy to me. There needs to be proof one way or the other, and until there is I think they should be banned in most smoke free places.

Thirdly there is evidence in place that the benefits of vaccines outweigh the risk so that point is kind of moot. If they find that e-cigs are completely harmless to those around smokers then fine, unban them. But I would like to see proof first.

Do you eat at McDonalds?
Not usually, maybe once in the last 2-3 months.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
@acessa1 I think we can both agree that the heart healthy check is misleading. I'm sure if we think that then the aha must know also. If they know it's misleading people why does it continue? What does that say about the integrity of the aha? The criteria in which they go by to provide the check should be changed.

Seriously I'm not on some conspiracy shit but this is just how I think.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
So the study was a government study by the American heart association? The same people that put "heart healthy" on all types of garbage like the turkey at subway? I'm not a smoker but id do some more research before listening to this.

I do know trace amounts of lead can be found all around us. This is why we have clean rooms for scientific research.

Just remember that the media loves to leave out key info to make a story more interesting. It's not about the truth anymore.
Question everything.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Firstly I want to clarify I meant ban the use of them in public places, not ban them completely. That was my bad. What you do at home or with friends is of no consequence to me.

Secondly, it isnt ass backwards to want proof that they are not harmful. When lite cigarettes where first produced they were shown to be "better than cigarettes" when in reality they werent. You really think e-cig companies dont worry about money too? As of right now they could put anything in them since there is no regulation. And when the FDA tries to regulate them e-cig companies try to sue, that seems fishy to me. There needs to be proof one way or the other, and until there is I think they should be banned in most smoke free places.

Thirdly there is evidence in place that the benefits of vaccines outweigh the risk so that point is kind of moot. If they find that e-cigs are completely harmless to those around smokers then fine, unban them. But I would like to see proof first.

Not usually, maybe once in the last 2-3 months.
The thing is... we don't believe things until there is reason to. The idea that they are harmful is supported by no evidence so there's no reason to believe that they are. That's what I'm saying.

As far as banning them in public places... I think it's absurd. If someone is blowing smoke in your face, they are a dick especially if they continue to do it after you ask them not to.

The reason I brought up the vaccine thing is because you're partaking in the same line of thinking that the anti-vaccers are. "Science hasn't proven that they aren't harmful so we need to wait." The problem is... you're going to wait forever. You can't disprove a negative claim. It's like trying to prove leprechauns don't exist. You can't.... but that doesn't mean we should believe in leprechauns. The process is to wait until there is a good reason to believe something before we should believe it.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
So the study was a government study by the American heart association? The same people that put "heart healthy" on all types of garbage like the turkey at subway? I'm not a smoker but id do some more research before listening to this.

I do know trace amounts of lead can be found all around us. This is why we have clean rooms for scientific research.

Just remember that the media loves to leave out key info to make a story more interesting. It's not about the truth anymore.
EXACTLY this!

E-Cigs has a massive following and has essentially put a dent in the tobacco companies wallets. All you have to do with these "research studies/scientific documents", is to follow the money trail that funded them. So often you will find peculiar donors if not blatantly the competitor/adversary (in this case, tobacco companies) funding these "studies". It's all about money.

Money always has been and will always be the dictator of "truth".

Zoidberg747

The thing is... we don't believe things until there is reason to. The idea that they are harmful is supported by no evidence so there's no reason to believe that they are. That's what I'm saying.

As far as banning them in public places... I think it's absurd. If someone is blowing smoke in your face, they are a dick especially if they continue to do it after you ask them not to.

The reason I brought up the vaccine thing is because you're partaking in the same line of thinking that the anti-vaccers are. "Science hasn't proven that they aren't harmful so we need to wait." The problem is... you're going to wait forever. You can't disprove a negative claim. It's like trying to prove leprechauns don't exist. You can't.... but that doesn't mean we should believe in leprechauns. The process is to wait until there is a good reason to believe something before we should believe it.
You make some good points.

I concede.

Zoidberg747

Wow. That literally never happens to me. BUT I WANT TO KEEP ARGUING. lol
Because no one ever concedes lol.

I will say I think smoke free places should include e-cigs, even if they are better than cigarettes. I dont want to be eating in a restaurant and have vapor everywhere, safety hazard or not.

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
^This. Everykid i see nowdays is smoking E-Cigs and theyre not doing it to get them off nicotine theyre just doing it because THEY think its cool. And when i mean "kid" i dont mean like 16 i mean like middle school level
For real man. I know if they had these when i was in high school i would have one in my locker. How would anybody ever know? What are they gonna do? Pay a teacher to stand behind everyones locker? These kids got it easy lol. I used to have to wash my hands, change my clothes, use cologne, etc. Lol..

We're all slowly killing ourselves, just some choose to die faster.

You eat fast food, frozen food, GMO grown produce or meats, it's the same shit. Some have higher risks than others.

Let's all die together because we're all going to be dead in a 100 years. We won't exist, everything will be black, just try not to breathe for a minute, imagine it's going to be that way when you die, the world will move on, you won't exist. You don't even know if you'll come back. Each night you sleep is a day closer to death. You are dying as you read this.

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
We're all slowly killing ourselves, just some choose to die faster.

You eat fast food, frozen food, GMO grown produce or meats, it's the same shit. Some have higher risks than others.

Let's all die together because we're all going to be dead in a 100 years. We won't exist, everything will be black, just try not to breathe for a minute, imagine it's going to be that way when you die, the world will move on, you won't exist. You don't even know if you'll come back. Each night you sleep is a day closer to death. You are dying as you read this.
Well that was depressing. Lmao

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
the saddest day was when the smoking ban came into the uk in 2007,making every pub in England fucking shite.
No, fools having to stop forcing other people to breath in their carcinogenic mist was the best thing to happen to pubs in britain. I can now enjoy an ale without having my lungs filled with the toxins of selfish idiots.

Scoot Magee

No, fools having to stop forcing other people to breath in their carcinogenic mist was the best thing to happen to pubs in britain. I can now enjoy an ale without having my lungs filled with the toxins of selfish idiots.
But isn't it just as selfish to tell them they can't smoke? I'm all for the owner of an establishment being the person who chooses to allow smoking or not, in the end it is their business. What would be so bad about letting smokers have a place to go? People avoid places they don't like. If you had a smoking bar on your block it would be profitable to open a non smoking bar around the corner. Anybody can go to either one but it's their choice.

The whole argument about it harming others doesn't really hold up. If you don't want to breath the smoke you go somewhere else, that's what I would do. I just don't see why people are so against something as reasonable as this.

Yoaks

A spaceman
Had one for about a month then got sick of it, works well for quitting smoking though you end up spending tons of time fucking about with it and refilling and recharging and replacing dead parts. non-stop smoking it indoors, outdoors, in pubs, restaurants, clubs, any time any where is probably putting stress on your lungs and throat which otherwise you are only doing while smoking cigarettes. Went from smoking like 6+ cigs a day to smoking vape nicotine every 20 minutes no matter where i am, so it became too annoying of a habit and i had to stop that, i didnt touch cigs in that time though so it does the trick if thats what you care about. I was more looking for an alternative to smoking tobacco without actually having to give up smoking, should probably not have bothered! Agree that they shouldnt be allowed in public places, it bugs me now that like 1 in 5 people is puffing clouds every time i go to a bar or a club even when i was using one i would be discreet...
Also anyone buying zero nicotine stuff and joining in, why dont you just go buy some jelly beans or popping candy or something they taste better and are cheaper and you will look cooler.
I can never stop watching that gif in your sig.

But isn't it just as selfish to tell them they can't smoke? I'm all for the owner of an establishment being the person who chooses to allow smoking or not, in the end it is their business. What would be so bad about letting smokers have a place to go? People avoid places they don't like. If you had a smoking bar on your block it would be profitable to open a non smoking bar around the corner. Anybody can go to either one but it's their choice.

The whole argument about it harming others doesn't really hold up. If you don't want to breath the smoke you go somewhere else, that's what I would do. I just don't see why people are so against something as reasonable as this.
I agree. We should put all smokers in poor ventilated buildings. Keep them as far away as possible from humans and outdoor public places. Just let them all smoke in one place to accelerate their demise. Best suggestion so far. btw I always thought they should include ricin in every cig to help these poor souls commit suicide faster. But I digress...

LBSH Smokers have no right because they're already dead. Since when do we listen to fucking corpses? We don't. We just try to prevent the dead from poisoning those who want to live.

Scoot Magee

I agree. We should put all smokers in poor ventilated buildings. Keep them as far away as possible from humans and outdoor public places. Just let them all smoke in one place to accelerate their demise. Best suggestion so far. btw I always thought they should include ricin in every cig to help these poor souls commit suicide faster. But I digress...

LBSH Smokers have no right because they're already dead. Since when do we listen to fucking corpses? We don't. We just try to prevent the dead from poisoning those who want to live.
That's pretty gangsta bro. It would probably be easier and more humane to just outlaw cigarettes. That way it would turn into a black market and people wouldn't smoke in public.

Last edited:

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast

I would say it's not as selfish because when they're smoking they're hurting you if you're in the vicinity with 2nd hand smoke. I read somewhere or other that the reason that smoking was banned in businesses wasn't for the customers so much as it was for the waiters/bartenders/etc, because if they want to keep their jobs they have no choice but to inhale 2nd hand smoke for hours on end

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt

No it's not selfish to ban it in public. I am all for there being designated smoking pubs that could open now, as long as they aren't already established pubs.

It's not about just not going to these places. That's incredibly short-sighted. People were allowed to smoke on buses, how was I supposed to get to and from school? People were allowed to smoke in every restaurant and pub, should I not have eaten out ever or gone for a drink ever?

I was on board with the idea that it should be up to the business owner too as that seemed fair to me, but it was pointed out to me that that wasn't practical and wouldn't work which I won't get into now as I have to go to work.

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy

Oh, hai Adolf