What's new

The timing on some of these attacks is so awkward.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
Also there's a BIG difference between activating MB with 1+2+3 and a dedicated MB button. I prefer 1+2+3 since it frees up buttons and it feels closer to an EX input in SF, but it literally it requires a specific timing and an MB button does not. It makes no fuckin sense. Pick aquaman and just do Trident Rush. You can press MB at any time, but 1+2+3 must be activated very late into the animation.

:/
it's like they put in a MB button for a reason. Maybe it's to compensate for shitty controllers and user error. I use a hitbox and have zero issue hitting multiple buttons at once.

I've heard a lot of "when it feels like working" in regards to complaints about combos in this thread. That's classic FG code for "I'm failing to input this correctly and blaming the game". Before you get all defensive, you know if I went to a SFIV forum and made these types of complaints, I would be told exactly what I just told you.

You have to adapt to the game, not the other way around.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

A "bad design" is your opinion. They made something different and most of us love it. Watch, you guys are going to cry so much and have shit in this game changed so much it will probably not even be enjoyable anymore. It's like no one in the MKC is thankful for anything. It's really annoying.
Thats like every fansbase of everything ever. You can't make everyone happy. Hell some go out of their to be unhappy by looking for something to whine about.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
I've heard a lot of "when it feels like working" in regards to complaints about combos in this thread. That's classic FG code for "I'm failing to input this correctly and blaming the game".
I agree with this 100%, but I still feel like MK and IGAU both feel somewhat "clunky" compared to... just about everything. Not that it's bad! It's just different, and for whatever reason, doesn't feel as "smooth" as a lot of other fighting games when it comes to your inputs. Tekken, SF, SFxT, Persona, Skullgirls, and Marvel all just feel more "natural" as far as your button presses feeling like they're doing exactly what they should.

All that said I had no problem with execution whatsoever playing IGAU on a stick with SF-style controls and negative edge off.

G4S MinotaurLord

Wielder of Toxins
Non-MK players will obviously feel more "at home" with neg edge off. Iit's day 3 of the game. We all suck at this game. You can't hit your "combos" consistently? No shit. These combos will not be bnbs in 2 months anyway. If you think the game "feels clunky" it means you're simply not used to the system yet. When watching stream play from players who helped test and have a lot more experience than we do, the game doesn't look clunky at all. The rest of us are all just clunky with it. If you're turned away from a game because you can't master the mechanics in 3 days, than the FGC in general really isn't for you. At whoever made the claim that "I can iag and nomad dash consistently, but i drop my combos 50% of the time online", thanks for the good laugh. Online is not, and will never be offline play and to complain about dropping combos online as specific to this game or this netcode is a farce.

The old man in me is screaming out "you think this game's execution and learning curve is tight? Go fucking play KoF or SSBM and come back to me about all the combos you can't do consistently", or a million other things like it, but that's neither here nor there. Honestly, if I picked up a fighting game and was godly at its execution week 1, I'd be more worried about its depth levels and competitive capabilities than excited about whatever masturbatory bullshit I could do in practice mode.

It's true, you have the right to voice your opinion, whatever that is, about the game on these forums - it's what the forums are here for. I'm not by any means saying that you're stupid, or that anyone that agrees is stupid, or that the thread shouldn't exist. I'm simply exercising my right to disagree because I'm hella offput by people who whine or give up on things because they don't want to put in the effort to improve at something.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
If you think the game "feels clunky" it means you're simply not used to the system yet.

Honestly, if I picked up a fighting game and was godly at its execution week 1, I'd be more worried about its depth levels and competitive capabilities than excited about whatever masturbatory bullshit I could do in practice mode.
I've been playing MK9 since the demo first came out, and I STILL think that the game feels clunky. I'm not saying that I have any problems playing it. I'm just saying that the movement in that game... just feels clunky hahaha. I don't know how else to describe it. IGAU is better, but it still has that "MK9 engine" feel. Characters can feel bulky and I wish a lot of people had faster walkspeed, because sometimes you feel glued to the ground when trying to play footsies.

Also, execution doesn't equal depth. MK9 has stupid easy execution for a lot of stuff. Just because I can do 45% life with a braindead Ermac combo, or 60% with a stupid easy wall-carry combo with Lili in TTT2 doesn't mean the games aren't deep. It just means that bread and butters aren't difficult. And honestly, that's fine. A game doesn't need an artificial execution barrier keeping players out to be good. My wife can do 33% easy in Injustice. That's a GOOD thing... it means she can actually enjoy the game without spending all day in training mode.

This game seems really fun and really good... we'll see how it's holding up (and how it's holding the competitive community's attention) in a few months.

PwnStar

Noob
The animations have no cancel window ques, cancels generally must be buffered, and there's obvious inconsistencies in alternate input methods. These could have been done better. This isn't about 'ermehgerd it's too hard for my scrubby fat fingers', it's about good design practices. Alternate inputs should be consistent and animations should emphasize timing better. It feels like the cancel window on many animations are locked in various arbitrary areas of the animation for no real purpose other than to make them harder. It's not so much that the combos and cancels are hard...they just don't make any fucking sense for why they're designed that way (like why can i cancel only in the first few start up frames and then suddenly i can't even though the active frames haven't even started...but then i can somewhere in the recovery frames?!?!?!?). It adds nothing to game play and feels awkward even after adjusting. If it fights practical considerations for no benefit, it is bad design.

I as well use a Hitbox as well. It's not about problems hitting the buttons, but it makes no sense that there should be a major drawback in execution because I prefer hitting all 3 buttons at once over a dedicated MB. I would like to play the game with only 4 buttons if I could, but I have to play it with 5 due to this. I still use 3 buttons in most combos, but certain moves simply aren't worth the effort of timing.

One thing though is I love dbMB and dfMB over the bbMB and ffMB. It feels VERY natural and cancels exactly how you would expect it too (mind you it disregard a lot of limitations due to its nature, but still)

The Gabriel

Mean Man
I just don't understand why they make you input the standing follow-up button to a jump attack *before* the jump attack actually lands

So I just learned how to do one of Raven's combos and at first I thought the game was unresponsive, but I was not inputting all of the buttons exactly. You need to carefully input the combo and pay attention to how many times you actually press a certain button.

Stchamps

PSN: SoaD_009
I just don't understand why they make you input the standing follow-up button to a jump attack *before* the jump attack actually lands
Yea my basic complaint is that I have to hit the special attack on my dial combos before even seeing if they land. If my combo gets blocked then I am vulnerable. In MK9 you had a much longer period of time to input the special attack after the dial combo, so you could actually see if your dial combo connects before inputting the special attack.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
These complaints must be character-specific, because I have absolutely no trouble hitconfirming KF's strings into slide or doing something else on block. To be completely honest, it feels a little easier than hitconfirming in MK.