What's new

The Tierlist is ALMOST Correct

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I think 'the highest level' doesn't mean "never ever makes a single mistake"... It just means that, on the whole, you're playing the character about as well as humanly possible.

Tools are critical, but tech/strategies are what turn tools into winning/losing advantages/disadvantages.. And that is why matchup charts generally evolve alongside specific players, and will continue to do so as long as players continue to improve their games.
There are too many factors involved to make a MU chart based only on the best player and how he plays his MU. the other player has to be equally as good and as skilled at all times with their character to make it worthy of MU numbers. This has never happened.

I have been playing Sub-Zero for a year and a half and right now I am playing him at the highest possible current level. I find things that are new every day and add to him every day, do I have him at the end result and farmed out? No..

this is said for everyone including pig and reo. there are a few players who play there character at the current highest possible level and evolve their stuff every day.

What I was talking about is that you dont understand that players have skill sets that differ from each other. The absolute S+ tier of top players in the community are the best at what they do. An example is REO and Kabal.. He is more then just zoning, thats easy to get around IMO these days. Its his reads with that character, the way the character works IS REO.. he created it, its designed from his mind and made for him and NO ONE can do it better. Even if I tried to main kabal, I would never do it better then REO. Its the same for a player like 16bit or CD with Kitana. That character fits their skill set better then it does REO's, the same way Kabal fits REO's skill set.

you guys have got too look at things in reverse.. just like how just because someone plays a top 5 character, dont mistake that for they dont have great skill. its the same for just because someone doesnt play a top 5 character, dont mistake that for they have any less skill.

I also think its insane at this notion of a brain dead Kabal and he should be banned. LBSH.. i get around his zoning A LOT, a corner him A LOT. When I lose to Kabal, its because the player made a better guess/read and blew me up. I have never lost to Kabal, I have lost to the player using him.

More like almost every time the opponent jumps.

I haven't seen many Kenshis outside of Pig, Blackula, Michaelangelo, and Forever King, but Blackula is the only Kenshi I see that actually does AA 21 combos with Kenshi.

Not trying to put you on blast Pig, just saying. :p
Probably because Pig wants to be as safe as possible in order to not give the opponent an opportunity to make him use meter so he can do all that ex shoulder stuff.

Low hitboxes kill Sonya more than they kill KL.

KL will be poked/uppercutted at worst, Sonya will be full comboed, by everybody.
But I'm the only player I know that has ever punished Sonyas strings that way. Its just the same as punishing Jaxs strings, but easier.

WAKE UP TYM!
care to give us some of that juice? This is the first I have heard of fullcomboing her strings

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
There are too many factors involved to make a MU chart based only on the best player and how he plays his MU. the other player has to be equally as good and as skilled at all times with their character to make it worthy of MU numbers. This has never happened.
I don't think anyone is suggesting to make a matchup chart based only on the best player (unless you can find where that was said). However, I think it's indisputable that matchup charts have consistently evolved due to specific players and the tech/strategy they discover.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Probably because Pig wants to be as safe as possible in order to not give the opponent an opportunity to make him use meter so he can do all that ex shoulder stuff.
As good as that sounds, what sounds better: 8% and opponent full screen, or 20+% and full screen?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I don't think anyone is suggesting to make a matchup chart based only on the best player (unless you can find where that was said). However, I think it's indisputable that matchup charts have consistently evolved due to specific players and the tech/strategy they discover.
You kind of said this...but thats besides the point. you cant make a Kenshi MU chart based on pigs play. He is the best kenshi by far but there are holes in his gameplay.

As good as Tom is with sub zero, there are holes in his gameplay. A person cant have a style...As soon as someone develops a style, they have forfeited there ability to develop a MU number.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
You kind of said this...but thats besides the point. you cant make a Kenshi MU chart based on pigs play. He is the best kenshi by far but there are holes in his gameplay.

As good as Tom is with sub zero, there are holes in his gameplay. A person cant have a style...As soon as someone develops a style, they have forfeited there ability to develop a MU number.
That's not what I said, if that's what you thought I meant. Think of it this way:

Regarldess of whether those people are perfect, you can't say the Kenshi matchup chart would have evolved this way without Pig's study and skill at plowing the depths of every single matchup to find every little advantage and disadvantage for top-level play. Likewise with the Sub-Zero matchups and Brady, Kabal/REO, Detroit+Wound/Shang. PL/Lao, etc. etc.

There are always a lot of people that contribute to the MU knowledge.. But it usually takes one or 2 people of a certain level to show people the true potential of certain situations and tools.

Imagine what would happen if half of the absolute top players were forced to study and main a less-explored character in tournaments and training for the next 5 months; you don't think the MU chart would change at all? :)

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
That's not what I said, if that's what you thought I meant. Think of it this way:

Regarldess of whether those people are perfect, you can't say the Kenshi matchup chart would have evolved this way without Pig's study and skill at plowing the depths of every single matchup to find every little advantage and disadvantage for top-level play. Likewise with the Sub-Zero matchup and Brady, Kabal/REO etc. Detroit/Wound/Shang. PL/Lao, etc. etc.

There are always a lot of people that contribute to the MU knowledge.. But it usually takes one or 2 people of a certain level to show people the true potential of certain situations and tools.

Imagine what would happen if half of the absolute top players were forced to study and main a less-explored character in tournaments for the next 5 months; you don't think the MU chart would change at all? :)
no one is denying this logic...but because pig blows people up and gets top 3 at tournaments, that doesnt make kenshi top 3. And that doesnt make his kenshi the "highest possible level". It just makes it the highest level kenshi around at the moment.

The difference between the two statements is a matter of time. One is absent of time and the other is including that variable. they are very different and shouldnt be confused.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
no one is denying this logic...but because pig blows people up and gets top 3 at tournaments, that doesnt make kenshi top 3.
Yeah, I don't think anyone meant this.

And that doesnt make his kenshi the "highest possible level". It just makes it the highest level kenshi around at the moment.
That's why I said that matchups are still evolving and will continue to do so as long as the game and it's community are living and breathing. However, you can't deny that there's a difference between Pig or MIT playing a character at a level that competes with the top players in the top tournaments in the world, and a random person who happens to be the best at a certain character because it hasn't been attacked at the same level yet.

Before Pig, you could have called someone else the "world's best Kenshi" or whatever.. But it wasn't until him that the character was really realized at the top level of play. And when that happens, it affects the entire MU chart.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I have holes in my gameplay because I am a human. I make wrong reads, we all do. MU chart numbers are not supposed to factor in human error though. MU charts are made as if both player played the match perfectly, free of human error.
thank you...when will people understand this and stop forgetting.

there shouldnt be any justification around this point

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Say Dizzy jumps at you, are you going to risk the nut punch for 20% or just take 8% and keep on truckin'?
risk is different based on so many factors:

1) the confidence of the player with the combo
2) difficulty of the combo
3) frequency of practice with 21 as AA
4) distance of the jump
5) amount of meter
6) amount of life

Obviously if the person is confident and has weighed the options and the circumstances are correct for 21 AA then he should do that for max damage. shoulder is the easier solution...but how much better it would be for kenshi to be confident and rehearsed enough to maximize damage each time and still send them full screen.

risk is different based on so many factors:

1) the confidence of the player with the combo
2) difficulty of the combo
3) frequency of practice with 21 as AA
4) distance of the jump
5) amount of meter
6) amount of life

Obviously if the person is confident and has weighed the options and the circumstances are correct for 21 AA then he should do that for max damage. shoulder is the easier solution...but how much better it would be for kenshi to be confident and rehearsed enough to maximizedamage each time and still send them full screen.
I understand what you're saying but I think Pig's Kenshi design is based around the usage of ex shoulder and minimizes the usage of breakers. For this type of style to be effective he has to not breaker.... and in order to not use breaker on a jump in he has to not AA with a normal and go for a special instead or wait for the opportune moment to ex shoulder them out. Basically he keeps his 2 bars to gain access to a defensive strike that makes him safe and he uses them in very precise moments. The other way to use those 2 bars is to take a risk like jumping out, doing a 21 AA or poking and fail so you break instead.

Edit; I'm not disputing the reward here that the higher risk yields higher reward, I'm telling you why I think he chooses the go safe with shoulder and not 21 AA

I could be completely wrong but from my observations this is how Pig has designed his Kenshi which is what I said, in a much simpler way, in the post before this one which THTB replied to with his question.

Pig Of The Hut maybe you can clear this up

All of her strings have huge gaps in it. Her standing 4 is the only one that doesnt but it is -8 on block.
so d4 military stance really is the only thing she has that can start offense safely? ofcourse she has ex cartwheel but without meter she is pretty fucked, the dive kick is a fast and dangerous move but is also risky.

edit: and kl can interrupt that d4 ms on block, so shout outs to people saying Kl loses to sonya 6-4. I said it was 5-5 but it might even be in KL favor.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Riu48 made a video ages ago showing the gaps in her strings. I dunno his youtube username but check it out.
Dispite my lack of offline sonya players to practice against i took a little while out of my day to practice ducking her highs and 21-smokebomb punishing, if that fails cant you just uppercut the second hit of like every string she has?

Edit - bare in mind i havent played this game since May, theres been many majors since then that sonya has been free to roam in...

Death

Noob
this changes my whole view on sonya and me knowing how limited she is in offense.
It sucks how limited she is. She's obviously top tier with her other tools but fighting someone with good spacing and someone who doesn't fall for her jumping antics is tough. @Mr. Milenna and @khaotikx play this mu perfectly along with blackula.