What's new

Guide The SZ punish thread

charlieonline

Search "CaseyJones" for active profile.
I think it would be good to have a dedicated Sub Zero punish thread. List in this thread what the optimal distance to be is to punish which special move. I'll start with one;

Scorpion regular teleport

Since scorpion balls up, a simple 212, freeze, dash (b1)2, dash, 22, slide works.

Feel free to add the ones you know.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
everyone that "balls up" besides Mileena can be punished with a simple f4~freeze JiP, b1,2,1

anything that needs a quicker punish it should be 2,2~freeze JiP, b1,2,1. Things like Reptile's Dash, Johnny Cage's Shadow Kick, Cyrax's Net (in close), Sindel's Cartwheel etc etc.

There are a few cases that a whiff can lead into a b1,2~freeze punish. Scorpion's Spear, Sub Zero Freeze, Rain's Lightning, Johnny Cage's Projectile (both).... anything that has a long recovery and can be ducked. They don't' happen often, and you are better off jumping in if you read it.

Mileena is a special case. Normal tele kick you can b1,2 2,1,2~slide. ExTeleKick you have to crouch block to punish, which means you can normally only uppercut if she throws an air sai (you should immediately release block after second hit, the sai will go over your head) and if she DOESN'T throw it, you have to quickly uppercut. If you don't feel you have the timing, a simple d4 is about all you will get.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Why not punish it all with b12 freeze? Does f4 scale better?
timing. you don't have to time f4... you have to be precise with b1,2. If you do it too early, you'll hit them in the air and the 2 will whiff and you will get smashed by a wake up attack.

However, if you feel you have that timing down ... then yes, punish with b1,2. There is what... a 3 or 4% increase? That to me is not worth dropping the punish.

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
Anyone know of good punishes or follow ups to safe moves like NW shoulder, Kenshi RK/SC's?
22 freeze will get a blocked NW shoulder and you can continue from there. njp b121 and pressure, njp b12 212 slide either choice works. I've never played a Kenshi...ever...so i have no idea concerning him.

charlieonline

Search "CaseyJones" for active profile.
22 freeze will get a blocked NW shoulder and you can continue from there. njp b121 and pressure, njp b12 212 slide either choice works. I've never played a Kenshi...ever...so i have no idea concerning him.
Are you talking stand block or on a low block or low crouch? I'm lookin' for something on a high block. And Kenshis shit after combos is super safe there is no follow up that I can think of.

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
everyone that "balls up" besides Mileena can be punished with a simple f4~freeze JiP, b1,2,1

anything that needs a quicker punish it should be 2,2~freeze JiP, b1,2,1. Things like Reptile's Dash, Johnny Cage's Shadow Kick, Cyrax's Net (in close), Sindel's Cartwheel etc etc.

There are a few cases that a whiff can lead into a b1,2~freeze punish. Scorpion's Spear, Sub Zero Freeze, Rain's Lightning, Johnny Cage's Projectile (both).... anything that has a long recovery and can be ducked. They don't' happen often, and you are better off jumping in if you read it.

Mileena is a special case. Normal tele kick you can b1,2 2,1,2~slide. ExTeleKick you have to crouch block to punish, which means you can normally only uppercut if she throws an air sai (you should immediately release block after second hit, the sai will go over your head) and if she DOESN'T throw it, you have to quickly uppercut. If you don't feel you have the timing, a simple d4 is about all you will get.
Good tips. I really need to add b12~freeze into my game more. I believe you can use it against character that's "balls up" (lol), like Smoke, Scorpion, Raiden, etc.

MK Kobra

Noob
Do you mean jip, b12~freeze, njp, 1, b12, 212~slide for 38%?[/QUOTE]

He's talking about punishing a move while the opponent is in the air, like mileena's tele-kick.

Fatality_check

Never Gonna Give
What about Baraka's spin and Charge on block? I was facing a mean one yesterday and I didn't really know how to punish them if i could.

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
I have like zero experience against Baraka, but I did you try to punish his spin with Slide?

And against charge, I believe it's safe on block. Use Clones and jumps to avoid it.

Creepy00

Noob
What about Baraka's spin and Charge on block? I was facing a mean one yesterday and I didn't really know how to punish them if i could.
Spin can be interrupted by down pokes, so maybe try d4 then 21, 212 iceclone
As for charge, i think you can punish with pretty much everything, if not then go for 212 icceball, b12 slide.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I have like zero experience against Baraka, but I did you try to punish his spin with Slide?

And against charge, I believe it's safe on block. Use Clones and jumps to avoid it.
Baraka is weird. His charge is punishable at certain ranges, not punishable at max range. I tend to try and dash d4 then go into some pressure. If he blade charges close, simply 2,2~freeze to punish.

Spin is safe on block, but can be ducked and has super limited range. I tend to just freeze a whiffed spin. If I think he will spin on my pressure attempt, d4. Stops it cold. Chop Chop is also punishable by full combo if blocked. I b1,2~freeze this move... it has a slow recovery.

Hope it helps

the only punisher moves i know is 2 2 ice ball b 1 2 ice ball and i some times use the slide but i do have a question can you punish with d4?

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Why would you punish Mileena's roll with that? That's like 26% or something, right?

Why not F4 Freeze NJP 1 B12 212 slide? Or 22 Freeze B(1)2 212 slide? The first does more damage and the second does about the same as yours... yet both are way easier to hit on a blocked roll.

Or I suppose you could go with F4 Freeze JIP B121 ... but you can't really pressure Mileena at all so that wouldn't make sense, nvm lol

CptXecution

Brain Dead Bro
I go for simple punishes like that most of the time. I would suggest using (b1)2 21 slide at the end of that combo, too, because you end up with a closer knockdown.
It's not to keep it simple it's because you can't let her land so that's his only option (if that's what you meant) lol

CptXecution

Brain Dead Bro
Why would you punish Mileena's roll with that? That's like 26% or something, right?

Why not F4 Freeze NJP 1 B12 212 slide? Or 22 Freeze B(1)2 212 slide? The first does more damage and the second does about the same as yours... yet both are way easier to hit on a blocked roll.

Or I suppose you could go with F4 Freeze JIP B121 ... but you can't really pressure Mileena at all so that wouldn't make sense, nvm lol
Her roll different than most punishes....you have to punish it before she lands.