What's new

The switch from ancient Asian theme to modern for MK3

krsx

Noob
I was playing MKT with a couple of classic characters on the MK3 rooftop stage, and it got me wondering about a big point of controversy back in 95 when MK3 turned to the urban, modern, post-apocalyptic theme, shying away from the mystical, ancient Asian-style of MK1 and 2.

Personally, I liked the switch MK3 made, and although some of the stages - unlike in MK1 and 2 - are kinda lame, not to mention certain costumes, overall I think the change was a good one.

So what do you think, was it a good move to place MK in a modern setting and bring in characters like the robots, or did it lose its 'mystique'? And if it did, has it ever reclaimed it since?

- Side note, MK4 reverted back to the old-style arenas, outfits, etc. yet I don't remember there being any great rejoicing from the fans who complained about the modern style of MK3...

dreemernj

Ambassador
I thought the switch over was pretty cool. I love the post-apocalyptic settings even if some of them weren't implemented really well.

The storyline is part of the reason why I like it. Having the game take place after a large scale attack on earthrealm has already been launched was very interesting to me.

I like all the stages in MK1, Most stages in MK2 (except the wasteland and the tower) and hated the bulk of stages in MK3/UMK3 except the soul chamber, Scorpions lair and the stages they are connected to.

I thought MK2 had the best stages out of all the games. I really like the music for most of the MK3 stages though, especially the graveyard and the temple. Music is really a big part of something I look for in a game and MK3 has a really impressive musical score even down to the character select screen. It's really stuck with me since 95.

ded

Elder God
my personal fav stages are the ones from mk3 - the temple, pit 3, graveyard and belltower

the only mk2 arena i really like is dead pool :D

i know probably most people will dissagree with me but mk4 has amazing arenas

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
I liked both "themes"

I like best mk2 music and some stages are just great. I remember I received well the change in mk3. I liked a lot the whole idea.

Derek

Noob
I personally prefer the look of MK II but the gameplay of UMK3 so I guess for style between "post-apocalyptic" and "Asian" I'd have to say Asian.

MK3 and UMK3 levels and music are horrible.

Only thing worth noting is the stage with the Candles is.

Robots in MK was the worst thing in the history of entertainment until Greedo shot first.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I happen to like some of the MK3 and UMK3 stages and music more than many MK 1 or II stages and musics.

I once thought that the asian theme was somewhat going to be the official MK theme, but as the game evolved, the music changed, Like how MK1 went from ancient China to UMK3 in the urban future. I still like the UMK3 music more, but I dig every track in MK, even on the old consoles...well just Genesis really.

krsx

Noob
Well it's interesting. I kinda expected more complaints about the MK3 robots and the futuristic look and feel, and I'm glad there's not. I remember somewhat of a backlash at the time that the game switched gears to the modern earth setting - maybe from the same people that complained about the run button and the combo system?

Do you think MK will ever regain that MK1-2 ambiance though? MK4 and Mythologies had it to a degree, but since then I don't think it's been prevalent.

I wouldn't mind a full return to the old theme. Perhaps if they ever do a prequel...

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Hey KRSXX dude, aren't you that guy from MKO man?

What's up man?

Anywho, for the topic I prefer anything as long as it's "dark" like MK's always been but noticed it lightened up a little bit with friendships, animalities etc.

I like MK:DA, MKD, MKA and MK4 besides MK2 for darkness....

I really don't have any preference, the music in MK2 sounded like "dark asian" but in other games it's dark anyway so as long as it keeps to the darkness, I like it.

MK8 midway said they want to go oldschool again with the "seriousness and darkness factor" so I'm hyped for that news alone 8)

krsx

Noob
MKF30 said:
Hey KRSXX dude, aren't you that guy from MKO man?

What's up man?
Yeah, I used to visit MKO a while back. This is the only MK site I go to now though, it's like the Classic section of MKO but expanded and improved.

MK2 is definitely where the weed is at in terms of stage backgrounds. Someone mentioned not liking the wasteland stage, and I remember also thinking it was kinda dull, but I played it on MAME the other day and noticed that that background is actually some of the best artistry in the game. It's mostly due to it's coloring, especially on the home systems where the graphics aren't as detailed that makes it kind of just look like a big purple blob unless you look closely.

As far as MK3 goes, it works well because of the story of the game, but a lot of the stages aren't as imaginative as the MK2 ones. The music in all 3 of the first games rules. :D

krsx

Noob
Perceptes said:
Someone mentioned not liking the wasteland stage, and I remember also thinking it was kinda dull, but I played it on MAME the other day and noticed that that background is actually some of the best artistry in the game.
The Wastelands is my favourite stage in all of MK, though I think - like you said - only since playing it on MAME. The music is awesome imo, and just scouring the background with the glistening water, barren, desolate wastelands and the illuminated tower, to me it's so cool. Something about the purple in it, same with the background effects on the opponents' mountain, I dunno, it's really mysterious.

Dreamcatcher said:
im a fan of most of the themes, old and new. my fave mk theme's gotta be deadly alliance tho, don't know y
MKDA's is actually one of my fave games for theme. Some of the stages, like inside Shang Tsung's palace, the acid bath, and kuatan palace...everything (including the remixed music in the krypt kontent) reminded me of MKII. Just awesome.