What's new

The Real MK9 Top 10 Characters

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Alright, since our community loves lists, MK9 has been out for over two years, and we have never been able to settle on the top 10 characters, I figure that now is the time to decide. Here is my attempt at placing the top 10 characters in the game:
1. Kabal
2. Kenshi
3. Sonya
4. Cyrax
5. Freddy
6. Kung Lao
7. Smoke
8. Jax
9. Kitana
10. Skarlet

Feel free to discuss and critique the list and please post your own.

Alright, since our community loves lists, MK9 has been out for over two years, and we have never been able to settle on the top 10 characters, I figure that now is the time to decide. Here is my attempt at placing the top 10 characters in the game:
1. Kabal
2. Kenshi
3. Sonya
4. Cyrax
5. Freddy
6. Kung Lao
7. Smoke
8. Jax
9. Kitana
10. Skarlet

What makes Freddy better than Kung Lao in your opinion?

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
1. Kabal
2. Kenshi
3. Sonya
4. Cyrax
5. Freddy
6. Kung Lao
7. Smoke
8. Jax
9. Kitana
10. Skarlet

I always knew Kung Lao wasn't top 5.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
IMO, the reason why we can never settle on a concrete top 10 and probably never will is because... 10 slots just simply aren't enough.

I mean, the top 6 are pretty much unanimous, but from 7-10, there is like literally another 10 valid candidates whilst you're supposed to pick 4.

Fair list though.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Wound, No Cage?

Sent from my phone, using the keypad.
Cage is right on the border. I wanted to put him in but the fact that he has one near unwinnable MU (Kenshi) and another really tough one (Kabal) hurts him alot, especially since they are the best characters in the game.

Matix218

Get over here!
1. Kabal
2. Kenshi
3. Sonya
4. Cyrax
5. Freddy
6. Kung Lao
7. Smoke
8. Jax
9. Kitana
10. Skarlet

Cowboy, being the shang expert, where do you feel he falls? 11 or 12? I guess just above characters like reptile and raiden and just below cage?

Throwing my list out there for the hell of it:
1. Kabal
2. Kenshi
3. Cyrax
4. Sonya
5. Freddy
6. Kung Lao
7. Smoke
8. Cage
9. Kitana
10. Skarlet

I think Jax has to be taken out of the top 10 due to his low hitbox issues. He has terrible matchups against Cage and Sonya because of this. Freddy and KL are also hell for him. He has great momentum and some of the best corner pressure, but his serious faults against a lot of the top 10 put him more in the top 15. Cage's only real tough MU is Kenshi, his other tough MUs (Kabal and Freddy) are still tough but doable on smaller stages. He doesn't have any low hitbox issues and his pressure far outshines Jax. His corner pressure can also be as absurd. I switched Cyrax and Sonya because I think Cyrax played at the highest level is far more of a threat than Sonya.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
I agree with top 6 completely and I like the list but one question. Why Skarlet, Smoke and Jax over Cage?
Skarlet- You can't do anything without taking a risk against her. She blows up zoning attempts and can keep you locked down when she gets a block string.

Smoke- touch of death combos, the best anti-zoner in the game, and an annoying mixup game with D4 and B2

Jax- He blows up footsies because of his fast low string, Dash punch, and buckets of armor. He also has touch of death combos in the corner.

Cage is a very good character, but I don't feel that he is as scary as the above characters.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Cowboy, being the shang expert, where do you feel he falls? 11 or 12? I guess just above characters like reptile and raiden and just below cage?
Yea Shang is probably at about 12. I think he is better than Reptile, and probably is better than Raiden.

I feel like Jax vs Sonya is almost just as bad as Kenshi vs Cage at the highest level. I personally would have Cage over Jax in top ten as in my opinion Jaxs lack of safe pressure options against low hitbox characters is worse than Cages difficulty against zoning. Agree with the rest of the list though.

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
Cyrax not Top 3? I figured that would be concrete at least :confused:

(I'm inclined to think he's better than Kenshi too.... but that's for another thread :D)

LanceMonsoon

All in on Johnny Football
I feel like Jax vs Sonya is almost just as bad as Kenshi vs Cage at the highest level. I personally would have Cage over Jax in top ten as in my opinion Jaxs lack of safe pressure options against low hitbox characters is worse than Cages difficulty against zoning. Agree with the rest of the list though.
My brother HazeJupiter actually beat FOREVER KING Sonya (one of the best Sonya's to play MK9) at Winter Brawl in a Jax vs Sonya match. King switched to Kung Lao to beat him though. I don't disagree that Jax has trouble against low hit boxes and I feel Cage is better then Jax overall, but no way is Cage vs. Kenshi comparable to Jax vs. Sonya.

Icebaby

Ice Queen
Cage not top 10?

Freddy over Kung Lao when he loses horrid to Smoke? (Kung Lao has no match worse than 4-6)

Jax in top 10 over Cage?

:confused:

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Cage is right on the border. I wanted to put him in but the fact that he has one near unwinnable MU (Kenshi) and another really tough one (Kabal) hurts him alot, especially since they are the best characters in the game.

you also described kitana there but you have her at #9
not up to me who gets left off cause your list but cage is def a top 10 character imo

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Cage is very good indeed, but doesn't he have at least 4 bad MUs?

Kabal, kenshi, Freddy, Sonya, sub, and MAYBE kitana. That's too many bad MUs to be top 10

Mt Mutombo

Banned
Take Skarlett the fuck outta there, put Lao over Freddy and add Raiden at #10.

Other than that i agree for the most part.

1.Kabal
2.Kenshi
3.Sonya
4.Cyrax
5.Kung Lao
6.Smoke
7.Kitana
8.Jax
9.Freddy
10.Cage or Raiden

I've always though Kenshi is a bit overrated but i can see why people have him so high. Im kind of biased since i play Cyrax and i find that MU mildly easy.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
you also described kitana there but you have her at #9
not up to me who gets left off cause your list but cage is def a top 10 character imo
She has a better chance against Kenshi and Kabal than Cage does (although they are still tough). She also has better air control, pokes, and high damage.