What's new

The Power Nth -- Hawkgirl General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airborne

The Mad Scientist
I was messing around in training mode with grounded MB Mace Toss to see if the frame data was actually right on it being +14 on block. It surprisingly is, meaning a reversal uppercut by Flash gets stuffed by our molasses-speed b2. The only issue with this was finding a way to set it up safely. Here's what I came up with off of a midscreen BNB after 5-10 minutes:

j.2 *land* 123 b3 j.2 *land* 12b3 xx mace toss MB

I tested to see if the opponent could use wakeup invincibility to stuff the MB, which sadly tested positive, but you can still dash cancel the mace toss to bait something out and punish it. I haven't been able to test it yet in match, but I'm believing that the opponent may possibly be able to react to whether or not the mace toss is dash canceled.

I think this may be the best option at mounting an offense since it leads to the largest block advantage, so if anyone else could experiment with a setup that leads into mace toss MB or options we can use off of it, that'd be helpful.

I'll be experimenting more with it when I get home from work later tonight. Thanks!

I was messing around in training mode with grounded MB Mace Toss to see if the frame data was actually right on it being +14 on block. It surprisingly is, meaning a reversal uppercut by Flash gets stuffed by our molasses-speed b2.
This is quite sick, I'm going to look into Mace Toss setups tonight and I'll post anything if it looks good.

learis1

Guardian Cadet
Just curious on your guy's thoughts on this. Right now mace toss hits high. Do you think it would make hawk girl too OP if it hits mid (not overhead, just mid).

Mainly, it would give her some sick frame traps/hit confirms from her b 2, 2 xx mace toss. As of now though it's just extremely risky since the mace toss would just fly right over crouchers. It's a high payoff though if it hits because hawk girl is close enough that the mace toss can be MB into up charge to continue her combo (although high payoff for my midscreen combo in this case is only 35%)

After seeing a friend of mine run those hilarious Batman double jump divekick shenanigans I started messing w/ Hawkgirl's tools to see what kind of oki options she has. Through the use of her divekick and wing evade she can force tech rolls to come toward her and then pressure off of that.

Some of the setups were examples until I find better stuff.

Airborne

The Mad Scientist
WOOOOOOOW, I just found the setup: end the string with 1, 1, 2 xx Mace Toss MB

Tested it on Flash, set to wakeup mode uppercut, experimenting with both roll teching and not. If you MB immediately, the uppercut whiffs and the shoulder charge sends Hawkgirl right past him. However, if you delay the MB, the shoulder charge will actually punish him!

Obviously, an opponent that is aware of this setup may not be hasty to throw out a wakeup attack, so I tested roll teching and not roll teching with wakeup mode off. When roll teched, the mace will actually collide with the opponent on wakeup and the shoulder charge will connect after. Without roll teching, the mace will pass the opponent, but the shoulder will soon follow.

I'll be testing more setups into a mace toss MB now, if you'll excuse me. ^_^

Edit: Just tested a mace toss after a MC knockdown; mace toss whiffs on wakeup uppercut, but connects on roll teched wakeup uppercut. Also tested Flash's Lightning Charge on wakeup (a.k.a. Psycho Crusher) and noticed that it punishes the setup from a 1, 1, 2 knockdown or a MC knockdown, but it's vulnerable to a back dash cancel off of the mace toss.

Came across a fellow hawkman today online. He was alright. One thing I noticed bewteen hawkgirl and wonder woman is that hawkgirl gets shit done. I've beaten a lot of strong guys with her. I pretty much zone all the time and that down 2 set up is my favoureite because then I can go into flight mode and send them across the screen.

Okay, is it just me or is the MC charge input while flying completely screwed up with alternate controls on? The damn thing never comes out when I am in flight, but when I jump and do it, it comes out just fine. With MK controls the move comes out fine. Any one else having this issue?

HushoftheWind

When's GGA!?
WOOOOOOOW, I just found the setup: end the string with 1, 1, 2 xx Mace Toss MB

Tested it on Flash, set to wakeup mode uppercut, experimenting with both roll teching and not. If you MB immediately, the uppercut whiffs and the shoulder charge sends Hawkgirl right past him. However, if you delay the MB, the shoulder charge will actually punish him!

Obviously, an opponent that is aware of this setup may not be hasty to throw out a wakeup attack, so I tested roll teching and not roll teching with wakeup mode off. When roll teched, the mace will actually collide with the opponent on wakeup and the shoulder charge will connect after. Without roll teching, the mace will pass the opponent, but the shoulder will soon follow.

I'll be testing more setups into a mace toss MB now, if you'll excuse me. ^_^

Edit: Just tested a mace toss after a MC knockdown; mace toss whiffs on wakeup uppercut, but connects on roll teched wakeup uppercut. Also tested Flash's Lightning Charge on wakeup (a.k.a. Psycho Crusher) and noticed that it punishes the setup from a 1, 1, 2 knockdown or a MC knockdown, but it's vulnerable to a back dash cancel off of the mace toss.
OMG a wild Airborne has appeared! From Spidey to Hawkgirl sir, you never cease to impress me. lol welcome to the boards btw

Hey, I've been wondering what you guys think about ending combos with d2, we3 instead of mc.

Why?

Well we all agree that HG is great on the corner. But ending a combo with d1, mc or mc mb doesn't push the opponent nearly as far as ending it with WE3. Ending with d1, mc gives slightly more damage (2%). But it takes 3 combos ending on mc mb to push a person into the corner starting from midscreen. Only takes two with d2, WE3.

learis1

Guardian Cadet
It really seems character and stage dependent. Some chars you wanna keep close, others its no big deal to push them away. Some stages it seems like you're at the disadvantage when they're in the corner due to powerful interactables (hopefully that changes in the future).

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!
It really seems character and stage dependent. Some chars you wanna keep close, others its no big deal to push them away. Some stages it seems like you're at the disadvantage when they're in the corner due to powerful interactables (hopefully that changes in the future).
That is true for every character. :16Bit

CamRac

Noob
Okay, is it just me or is the MC charge input while flying completely screwed up with alternate controls on? The damn thing never comes out when I am in flight, but when I jump and do it, it comes out just fine. With MK controls the move comes out fine. Any one else having this issue?
I have actually been having issues with this, as well. I haven't switched back to MK controls, but I guess that could be it. Let me know if you figure out what's going on...

CamRac

Noob
On another note, and you guys might have already discussed this, but I noticed that switching HG's stance to where her wings are at the forefront is actually pretty good. It obscures movement, which definitely helps with certain strings.

EDIT: You know, assuming you have time to switch stances without getting hit in the face. lol

Speh

Noob
The input window for a flying MC seems to be much smaller than a normal jumping one. When you have alternate controls on, you have to do the motion super fast. I wish the half circle motion was a little more lenient with alternate controls :(

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
On another note, and you guys might have already discussed this, but I noticed that switching HG's stance to where her wings are at the forefront is actually pretty good. It obscures movement, which definitely helps with certain strings.

EDIT: You know, assuming you have time to switch stances without getting hit in the face. lol
That's what I've been trying to implement in my gameplay for a while now. You know how dashing with HG actually switches your stance? Yup :).

learis1

Guardian Cadet
Played hawkgirl a bunch online yesterday for the first time. She can really bully the crap out of a lot of the cast. I feel kinda bad using her since I can apply relentless safe pressure or zone to my liking, but then I remember that most ppl think she's low tier so it doesn't bother me too much lol.

CamRac

Noob
Played hawkgirl a bunch online yesterday for the first time. She can really bully the crap out of a lot of the cast. I feel kinda bad using her since I can apply relentless safe pressure or zone to my liking, but then I remember that most ppl think she's low tier so it doesn't bother me too much lol.
Playing online is way different than playing seasoned players in your local community. For instance, I played one of the best southern Marvel players (ranmasama) in Injustice yesterday, and I won only 1/3 of the time. He's been playing Supes for literally one day, but I learned a shit ton from getting the beatdown. Point is, I have a 75%+ Hawkgirl online win rate, right now. It gives you the sense that Hawkgirl can body certain cast members, but Supes wasn't the only character I was having to fight hard against.

Anyhow, I'm not trying to put you down, because I was thinking the same way. However, HG is going to take some work to face off against the strongest players, or just players with good fundamentals in general. I feel like I've won 50% of the games I've won online, just because people were dumb and couldn't get past diagonal air maces by dashing. lol

learis1

Guardian Cadet
Playing online is way different than playing seasoned players in your local community. For instance, I played one of the best southern Marvel players (ranmasama) in Injustice yesterday, and I won only 1/3 of the time. He's been playing Supes for literally one day, but I learned a shit ton from getting the beatdown. Point is, I have a 75%+ Hawkgirl online win rate, right now. It gives you the sense that Hawkgirl can body certain cast members, but Supes wasn't the only character I was having to fight hard against.

Anyhow, I'm not trying to put you down, because I was thinking the same way. However, HG is going to take some work to face off against the strongest players, or just players with good fundamentals in general. I feel like I've won 50% of the games I've won online, just because people were dumb and couldn't get past diagonal air maces by dashing. lol
Yea, I could definitely see that. I'll be playing online for the majority of the time, but I would like to find a local scene to play. I'm sure there's one in South Florida somewhere. Yea, it's funny online how ppl are completely dumb-founded by air MT. It's like they view it as an impenetrable full screen force field sometimes. But the smart ones definitely can dash in (I fought a decent Lobo player and it was really unsafe using air MT against him, his dash is excellent).

How do I beat deathstroke with her? I usually never have problems with deathstroke players but this guy was spamming his guns while in the corner. He was doing that to everyone he played and it really pissed me off. I played raven the second time and the match was going down my way but then he quit like a bitch.

learis1

Guardian Cadet
How do I beat deathstroke with her? I usually never have problems with deathstroke players but this guy was spamming his guns while in the corner. He was doing that to everyone he played and it really pissed me off. I played raven the second time and the match was going down my way but then he quit like a bitch.
Patience. After blocking any gunfire you can dash in once I believe. Be careful about going in the air, but an air MT here or there will keep him on his toes and possibly make him screw up. From midrange you can try WE 3 or MC to close the gap. Once you get close be prepared for him to do his flip sword and punish it on block, it's very unsafe. You can save your meter for super and it will cripple his zoning ability. But ultimately you have to be at peace with blocking gunshots then dashing in. Most ppl don't know how to use deathstroke up close so take advantage of hawkgirl's pressure and mixup ability when you can.

Patience. After blocking any gunfire you can dash in once I believe. Be careful about going in the air, but an air MT here or there will keep him on his toes and possibly make him screw up. From midrange you can try WE 3 or MC to close the gap. Once you get close be prepared for him to do his flip sword and punish it on block, it's very unsafe. You can save your meter for super and it will cripple his zoning ability. But ultimately you have to be at peace with blocking gunshots then dashing in. Most ppl don't know how to use deathstroke up close so take advantage of hawkgirl's pressure and mixup ability when you can.
Cool man thanks. Also, whos that guy in your profile picture? I use to watch that show when I was a kid but I could never remember what it was called.

Status
Not open for further replies.