What's new

The Power Nth -- Hawkgirl General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
Ugh, I want to main Hawkgirl so badly, but her style doesn't suit me at all.

No matter how good I get with another character, I just don't have any peace of mind because Hawkgirl is the character I want to be playing as. I'm so jealous of you guys...
Natural synch (as I like to call it) with characters you actually like is a bitch. I wanted to main Harley at first because I like the char a lot, or even Superman or Shazam, but I had no synch with them. Used Hawkgirl and she fits like a glove. If you REALLY like the character, then all you can do is work hard enough to make it natural.
Good luck dude.

NkdSingularity

Truth and Ugly
b2,3 is listed as -16, but being a multi-hit move the data is incorrect, flash can't punish with a 6 frame reversal so it's actually safe. Which is cool because b2,2/3 is a mix-up, (b2),3 gets 19% midscreen with; (b2),3 d2,bf2.
(b2),2 gets 20% midscreen with; (b2),2,4 2,bf2.
( ) = Blocked.

Unfortunately characters with small crouching hitboxes like Flash can duck b2, so it's not great in all match-ups.

EDIT; So her flight normals are all hella unsafe on block and don't cancel on block, so use (b2),2,bf2 for 14%

I feel like hawkgirl is great for pubstomping but not so much if you play against the same opponent for longer matches.
It's not really hard to get in with her not even against ravens or deathstrokes but once you are in your options are pretty weak.
123 is much to slow to ever use. the biggest combo you can get from b23 is like 31% if you use bar.
Basicly what I do is I get in using mace throw MB's then I just get next to the oppenent and mix them up with D3, b23, divekicks, b223 and throws. Wich works for a while. but b23 is easily blocked and punished. divekick is easily punished b223 is tricky but also punishable.
I feel like she lacks some damage. I might be missing some strings that I really need to use and even though I really like her and the way she handles I just feel like switching to a char like joker or catwoman so you can get those easy 35%+ mid screen combos.

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
Is there a way to see how many active frames some attacks have? Because her j1 seems to have a TON of active frames.
Can someone explain what WC is since there isn't a special move with WC in the move list D:
I'm guessing he meant mace charge, since it's what you usually end combos with.

lslick

Stole this pic from Doombawkz :P
Also I think I found something worth noting. Whenever you finish a combo with Mace Charge midscreen, you can dash forward once and activate her trait. When you activate your trait, you can delay how fast you unfly. By doing this, you will appear on one side or the other and by doing this, it will cause the opponent to face the opposite direction. The great thing about this is if you anticipate them doing a wakeup move, the opponent will do the wakeup move in the opposite direction. I can make a video on it showing it if you guys want but it will be off cam

lslick

Mind you the timing on it is weird and im still trying to get a hang of it....But ill try to capture it :D

For MC knockdowns I've been doing dash MC. Since she flies back a bit before charging she can evade some wake ups plus it'll put her in range if someone tech rolls the first MC. Either I do that or go for a JP 2 and if they tech roll then MC, but it seems pretty punishable in the air if ducked.

Marth

Hawkgirl Aficionado
Are you guys cancelling your "unsafe" strings on block into wing evade? I've found this extremely useful against a lot of characters

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
Are you guys cancelling your "unsafe" strings on block into wing evade? I've found this extremely useful against a lot of characters
D1 xx wing evade 3 is easily one of Hawkgirl's best tool. You can even do it a max range of her d1!

D1 hits? we3 combos
D1 gets guarded? lol whatever you're safe anyway

GaoMatsu

Noob
So I've been using Hawkgirl a lot lately, and theres a couple things Im having trouble with.

First, her range is ass. You have to literally be breathing down the other persons neck to complete a string. Second, crouching blows up a lot of her stuff. Crouching goes under 1 which is her main combo starter and it also goes under f1 which is her fastest normal. So characters like Flash who have really fast low profile moves are really hard to deal with since pretty much all her mids are slow and have horrible range.

Theres things like WE3 and MC (kinda) to get in, but those moves get predictable and get stopped by a ton of stuff too. Projectiles, stuff that hits everywhere like GL's ring toss thing and Raven's air toss thing, and even AAs.

Edit: Also, MB Mace Toss is really nice for getting in, but the air version needs tracking. Theres been so many times where I hit with air Mace Toss but the followup still whiffs and I end up getting punished for it.

So I've been using Hawkgirl a lot lately, and theres a couple things Im having trouble with.

First, her range is ass. You have to literally be breathing down the other persons neck to complete a string. Second, crouching blows up a lot of her stuff. Crouching goes under 1 which is her main combo starter and it also goes under f1 which is her fastest normal. So characters like Flash who have really fast low profile moves are really hard to deal with since pretty much all her mids are slow and have horrible range.

Theres things like WE3 and MC (kinda) to get in, but those moves get predictable and get stopped by a ton of stuff too. Projectiles, stuff that hits everywhere like GL's ring toss thing and Raven's air toss thing, and even AAs.

Edit: Also, MB Mace Toss is really nice for getting in, but the air version needs tracking. Theres been so many times where I hit with air Mace Toss but the followup still whiffs and I end up getting punished for it.
Yea her range is terrible. Biggest weakness imo

Buffalo

Bison of Beat Downs

First, her range is ass. .
Seconding. I know it's still really early and only the scrubs are crying for shit in the next patch, but it'd be nice if they did something about her range.

D1 WE can be poked out of.

About the ducking issue, I've been thinking of using 32 a bit more and hit confirming it to DBMB or block confirming it to WE/WC.

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
D1 WE can be poked out of.

About the ducking issue, I've been thinking of using 32 a bit more and hit confirming it to DBMB or block confirming it to WE/WC.
Really? I thought WE had invincible startup so that even if the dude did d1 you'd just get away.
How much startup does 3 has btw?

Did anyone notice that yesterday you could combo d1 into we2 but now you can't? That's weird, I was able to do d1, db22 into more stuff for a 25% combo.

KNX

Noob
I'm sure a lot have noticed or it's been mentioned but f+1,3 is both dash and jump cancellable. Not sure if it'll ever be useful but in some combos you can choose to end with the string instead and jump into Flight trait for mixups or dash into wakeup pressure. Usually involving either sweep or overhead

And since we're going into some negatives. One problem I'm having is that her lows seem really bad. b+22 is safe and can be cancelled, but the string starter is really short range like I said and the startup is OK but not amazing. It would've made more sense to make Evade 1 a slide or something instead of that silly upwards Toss she does. Evade 3 is safe but goes over crouchers and actually goes over the reel animations of some characters after they get hit. Evade 2 has relatively no range. d+1 seems like her only solid ground button and it doesn't have any amazing followups. My other main issue is that her 1 isn't very good and it's literally the only way to combo into her wallbounce meterless. Iwas considering using MB wallbounce in combos to get around this issue but it is 2 bars so I'm not sure yet

Forgot who said she'd be a hit and run character but it seems right. She can nav the screen really easily, but outside of punishes she can't inflict major damage. She can't win heavy zoning wars so in and out seems the most effective way of playing her for me so far

Really? I thought WE had invincible startup so that even if the dude did d1 you'd just get away.
How much startup does 3 has btw?

Did anyone notice that yesterday you could combo d1 into we2 but now you can't? That's weird, I was able to do d1, db22 into more stuff for a 25% combo.
Evade isn't invincible sadly. She just moves back causing attacks to whiff. In the Hawkgirl mirror you can respond to d+1 xx Evade with f+1 and get a float combo

3 is meant to be 12f according to the Command List but NRS aren't 100% on that frame data

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
I'm sad wing evade doesn't actually have invincible startup :(.
I'm sure a lot have noticed or it's been mentioned but f+1,3 is both dash and jump cancellable. Not sure if it'll ever be useful but in some combos you can choose to end with the string instead and jump into Flight trait for mixups or dash into wakeup pressure. Usually involving either sweep or overhead
I didn't know this, can it be jump/dash cancelled on block? What about f11?

KNX

Noob
Scratch that about it being cancellable, I think it just has really fast recovery. Either way you get some good oki off it. Haven't messed with it enough to know if it's worth going for that over guaranteed damage, I'm still in the "experimental" stage lol

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
So, I'm going to a tournament later today, a big one, and obviously I'll be using Hawkgirl.

I'm expecting to meet batman, superman, green lantern, joker, doomsday, grundy and Bane, that's all I can confirm.
Anybody got tips against them? Batman, Superman and GL especially, grundy and doomsday too if possible.

I think Hawkgirl is mostly about bullying opponents into the corner. When she gets you in the corner she has a lot of pressure tools that keeps people from leaving. Most of her moves are used to push people back in the first place.

lslick

So, I'm going to a tournament later today, a big one, and obviously I'll be using Hawkgirl.

I'm expecting to meet batman, superman, green lantern, joker, doomsday, grundy and Bane, that's all I can confirm.
Anybody got tips against them? Batman, Superman and GL especially, grundy and doomsday too if possible.
You can pushblock Batman's trait so he can't do those crossup setups....With Bane, if you see him do that dashing charge move and you have meter, then you can do b.3 MB for a free combo....I think you should try and space Grundy with Mace throw and dashing out of it so he can fall into it...Everyone else I have no clue...Sorry this reply is late but I hope you do well :D :D :D

The_Greatest_Username

Reincarnated Member
I think Hawkgirl is mostly about bullying opponents into the corner. When she gets you in the corner she has a lot of pressure tools that keeps people from leaving. Most of her moves are used to push people back in the first place.
That's what I found works with her too. You're basically playing keep away (with an occasional MC or WE3) until you can work them into a corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.