What's new

The portrayal of women in video games.

You should go look up what I'm saying before claiming it's false. I clearly used the word masculinity. And I'm referring to modern day.
dude that's why i'm saying it's false. you seem to think that masculinity has and has always had only one meaning ever. the very idea of masculinity has changed over time. that's the entire point of my response. i'm not saying that the type of masculinity that is the status quo has always been around (infact i confirmed 2 posts ago that i believe masculinity to be very different now than what it has historically been) but that there has historically been some form of masculinity that acts to the same affect.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Why is it that a game where women are portayed as sex objects is not offensive at all, but a game like Cooking Mama comes out an people start whining? Does Cooking Mama imply all women should be in the kitchen? No. It's just a cooking game.. with a mama. If a game came out called Lawnmowing Papa I wouldn't cry about it. Do they really have to change Cooking Mama to Cooking Papa so people won't get so offended...?
I can't really explain how much I LOVE COOKING MAMA.

Here's a counterpoint:

Twilight.

Several 2 hour movies of bare chested buff dudes gratuitously showing off the quality of the person who waxes their chest.

Then there's Bella wearing pants and non-revealing shirts (at least from what I remember), mouth hanging open looking like Terri Schiavo.

I demand Injustice be served!

Also, Sonya's second costume favors army boots over heels.

NapoleonComplex

Worst Injustice Player
Here's a counterpoint:

Twilight.

Several 2 hour movies of bare chested buff dudes gratuitously showing off the quality of the person who waxes their chest.

Then there's Bella wearing pants and non-revealing shirts (at least from what I remember), mouth hanging open looking like Terri Schiavo.

I demand Injustice be served!

Also, Sonya's second costume favors army boots over heels.
True. It's such a double standard.. I think women are just more concerned with what they look like, which is why they'd get more offended

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
True. It's such a double standard.. I think women are just more concerned with what they look like, which is why they'd get more offended
And black people didn`t like being chained up as slaves because they like to be able to show that they`re better sprinters...

It`s not a double standard because they are getting a chance to indulge in an exception to the norm. Both genders have sexual desire. Women can look at men in purely sexual ways too. But there`s a difference between a specialty presentation which does this, and a medium that perpetually objectifies women at every opportunity.

Yeah. That kinda sums up the whole thing, doesn`t it?

I kinda wonder what some of these "It`s what sells!" people would say 50 years ago when businesses didn`t want to hire black people to work at the front desk because the clients wouldn`t like it. I mean, if white people are the target demographic, shouldn`t they be allowed to keep black people out so they don`t scare them off? What`s the difference?
Places still do this, though not necessarily based on race (not overtly anyway though I'm sure it still happens, and the other way around in a lot of cases).

If you owned a business, who would you rather be the person your customers see first when they walk in?

Her?

Or Pam Beesly?

You might not care either way on a personal level, but that typically changes when money and customers/clients are involved and presentation matters.

I really just wanted an excuse to post Pam.

NapoleonComplex

Worst Injustice Player
But women aren't put in these games for the sole reason of being a sex object. They are now being shown as strong figures rather than a damsel in distress or whatever. I don't care how big the female character's tits are or how much skin I can see.. I just can't stand it when people take a group of people and label them "the victims"

NapoleonComplex

Worst Injustice Player
Yeah. That kinda sums up the whole thing, doesn`t it?

I kinda wonder what some of these "It`s what sells!" people would say 50 years ago when businesses didn`t want to hire black people to work at the front desk because the clients wouldn`t like it. I mean, if white people are the target demographic, shouldn`t they be allowed to keep black people out so they don`t scare them off? What`s the difference?
I guarantee you black people are favored over whites since everyone is adopting this "diversity" BS now. I'm the only one who doesn't care what you look like anymore.

But women aren't put in these games for the sole reason of being a sex object. They are now being shown as strong figures rather than a damsel in distress or whatever. I don't care how big the female character's tits are or how much skin I can see.. I just can't stand it when people take a group of people and label them "the victims"
You bring up an interesting point, because I don't recall hearing women complaining about being stereotyped as weak damsels in distress back in the 80s when that's all they were except for maybe Samus.

Make them strong and powerful and give them their own games/franchises though, and now they're mad.

Some other thoughts:

a large portion of MK's storyline is saving kitana...
all of the boss battles are fought with male characters...

have you played DOA? the series is alive because of beach volleyball

not to mention every time anyone comments on princess peach the comment "she cant help but getting kidnapped every couple years" comes out

not trying to say you're wrong entirely, just that developers clearly keep sexuality and gender in mind when they make their games.

Uhhhhh Lollipop chainsaw was a straight up parody. Everything about the game was supposed to be taken as a lighthearted joke.

Its like the same argument that Bayonetta is a sexist game (big surprise its not).

Not all games exploit women.

Assassin's Creed , Halo , hell CoD doesn't even HAVE women in their game. And they sell purrty fuckin' well.
AC had Lucy. Also has ezio sister and Caterina.
Halo has Cortana.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
It exposes that you're a liberal simpleton.

Some games DO cross the line (like lolipop chainsaw) but games like MK can't even be called sexist.
Sure, I`m very liberal. Gay rights, removing religion from government, etc. But the only "simple" thing here is the fact that games objectify women waaay more than other mediums while also eliciting some of the most rapid knee-jerk hateful responses from it`s fans. It`s a bad combination. I never called MK or any other game sexist. You can check my previous posts to verify that. I just think it`s a problem for the vast majority of female characters in our medium to be sexual fantasies. No one is calling for censorship or stripping publishing freedoms away from anyone. Simply more awareness and maybe some more responsibility. Slander me for it if you want.

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
Sure, women can dress however they want, but if they dress like a slut they have no right to complain about being treated in a sexualized way. Same is true of guys (sagging, in case you fallas dont know is an indication that you're easy access so that someone... lets call him Tyson... can piece you up from behind balls deep).
God you are ignorant.... I can't read threads like this because of all the garbage people post. While there is many redeeming members who say intelligent things...ones like this just make me lose my shit...

God you are ignorant.... I can't read threads like this because of all the garbage people post. While there is many redeeming members who say intelligent things...ones like this just make me lose my shit...
would you mind enlightening me as to why i'm ignorant? otherwise making such a claim is far more ignorant than anything i have said.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
Did you not watch the video?...
Okay. Watched it. Haha. Pure coincidence.

For the record, the game she refers to was created by a G-Faqs member I happen to know named, "Ben Spurr." This dude is pretty blatant with his sexist remarks, but his supposed intent when creating that game was to prove that people tend to see media like this as violence against women instead of violence against people; there is a double standard between genders. In his eyes, he was creating a game about punching a selfish person, not a woman. Spurr tried debating with this lady many times because he disagrees with her arguments, but she ignored him, so he took matters to the extreme and created that game to get her attention.

Mind you, I'm not advocating or justifying his actions/views, but there was a reason for the game's creation. The way she's painting it makes it seem like it was just a game for funsies made by people who don't like her because she's a feminist...

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
would you mind enlightening me as to why i'm ignorant? otherwise making such a claim is far more ignorant than anything i have said.
You blatantly said that women should have no right to complain if they dress in a sexualized way....you are blaming the victim ASSHOLE. It is not her fault you can't keep your dick in your pants or your head out of your ass. IT IS YOUR FAULT! You are the one slut shaming her. (FACEPALM)

Edit: Your logic is the same as that of the rape defense: "Bro, with the way she was dressed..she was practically begging for me to fuck her".---> Implies fault to the women for dressing that way, when in reality: It was the rapist fault completely. They should be held accountable, and anything argument like 'its male nature' is BS. We have brains, we can hold out selves to a higher stander. Most importantly we can hold ourselves accountable. I hope you can see why your claim was offensive now.