What's new

THE OFFICIAL MK11 COMPLAINT/RANT THREAD

R0bot1cColumbus

Cybernetic Conquistador
I need a hand written letter from NRS explaining why they thought it was a good idea to take away Raiden’s shock attack and sub zero’s ice Klone. Like I get it you guys wanted to change things but come on.
Dude, no joke! I've mained Sub since MK9. Where the fuck ice my ice clone!?!!? How can you take away one of the most long lasting and iconic moves in the game's history?

Also, why the fuck do you have to enhance scorpion's spear to be able to combo off it afterward? The regular spear doesn't lead to a stagger.

I honestly can't understand why they made so many of the gameplay decisions that they did. It seemed like they brought in some great and knowledgable players (like 16bit) as testers and I figured we were in good hands. But instead, we got this hot pile of dog shit.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Not that I ever rant/complain but they have to stop with the nun outfits for the women, and bring back the cool looking outfits from oldschool MK, MK 9, 3D era etc and they also have to stop with their PC, political bs. I don't care for Jax's ending or the fact that they claim to changes Cage's hand gesture because of "nazis" wtf? lol among anything else political. Like MK is already diverse, always has been with different realms, creatures, people etc.

My other complaint is how weak they made the Elder Gods appear in story after them being uber powerful forever, creating the realms, defeating the One Being etc. So lame to create Kronika(useless character) and all of a sudden, newer higher deities in "Titans" without any information on them...lol

Lastly, the FB kounters are broken and inconsistent as they don't even come out often. Even the "pro" players don't use them in their recorded matches after watching a shitton of gameplay vids. And the krypt system, unlocking system which a lot of people have complained about is so dumb. It's literally like I2 but in some ways worse, for example we can't even buy most of the outfits, cosmetics, weapons, hats etc we have to unlock them in the krypt. Ok, if it was done like MK 9, 3D MKs or MK X where there was a specific location for these things/and or the option to buy everything for 20-30 bucks, I'd drop it to save time but they force us to grind for shit we don't even want, it's all random which is lame. And the option we do have to purchase stuff goes up for what several hours at a time or a day at most limited to 7 things only, 5 cosmetics(outfits, clothes, cosmetic gear) and 2 finishers that are completely random.

NRS needs to fix all of that, they need to make MK great again like mk 9! The problem with being too successful sometimes is you get greedy knowing your fans will buy the game then pulling this shit on them. Also, been playing MK since MK 1 back when I was a kid, always supported MK, Midway, NRS etc but seriously they need to address everything I mentioned as I may not speak for everyone but I know damn well a lot of MK fans agree too.

Cosmic Forge

Practice mode noob
Why doesn't my boy Raiden yell gibberish during superman anymore?

To me that's the highest crime commited by NRS yet.

I'd also like some customizations that do more than make your character "look" like whichever game style you like, but change sounds too. I'd like Raiden's teleport to sound like his MK1 version.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Switch version doesnt have the latest hotfix or tournament variations pre loaded in the kustimize section. Any word on this?

Born2Phil

Character loyalist
I want human Liu Kang, Kitana, Kunglao, and Jade pictures in the character select screen. I don't care about the state of the story. It would make the roster look more colorful and varied, instead of 4 zombies in a row. Plus, people from the old timeline are back, so there's no excuse to defile these classic characters. This should be added as an option at least.

Syd Barrett Lives

Italian Psychopath
I want human Liu Kang, Kitana, Kunglao, and Jade pictures in the character select screen. I don't care about the state of the story. It would make the roster look more colorful and varied, instead of 4 zombies in a row. Plus, people from the old timeline are back, so there's no excuse to defile these classic characters. This should be added as an option at least.

Was thinking the same this afternoon, escpecially because it seems most pre-fight bander refers to their "human" version.

I agree, I would say give 2 costume options by default for all characters in local and tournament play. The zombie characters obviously should have the human skin.

Switch version doesnt have the latest hotfix or tournament variations pre loaded in the kustimize section. Any word on this?
There is supposed to be two patches coming for Switch. One early next week. I was playing the Switch game in portable mode and I noticed the Towers hadn't patched. Much harder than on the PS4.

Well first off and I'm sure 100% of people would agree, gears/skins/finishers are far more trouble then they're worth. Another thing that is bothering me a bit is the fact that with KB moves, awkward get up system, and FB in place it's really not surprising if you spend a whole match keeping people at bay and outplaying them down to the last 20 seconds or so that they come back from like 2% health and destroy you lol. Not saying it's MVC3 X factor level shit but it is indeed annoying to say the least. Also the requirements for moving on in the character specific living towers are absolutely abysmal and time consuming. At the moment I'm on the fourth sub zero living tower and I still need about 115 Fatal blows and just under 50 flawless victory rounds. There is no way in hell I can work a job 40+ hours a week and expect to meet those requirements. Not to mention by the time I do, i probably won't give a shit about the reward at that point. Other than that it's the most fun I've had with an online fighter since mk9 and street fighter 4. Hopefully after this fix that was announced I'll lose my dislike for these things. Let's hope it gets better.

Not that I ever rant/complain but they have to stop with the nun outfits for the women, and bring back the cool looking outfits from oldschool MK, MK 9, 3D era etc and they also have to stop with their PC, political bs. I don't care for Jax's ending or the fact that they claim to changes Cage's hand gesture because of "nazis" wtf? lol among anything else political. Like MK is already diverse, always has been with different realms, creatures, people etc.

My other complaint is how weak they made the Elder Gods appear in story after them being uber powerful forever, creating the realms, defeating the One Being etc. So lame to create Kronika(useless character) and all of a sudden, newer higher deities in "Titans" without any information on them...lol

Lastly, the FB kounters are broken and inconsistent as they don't even come out often. Even the "pro" players don't use them in their recorded matches after watching a shitton of gameplay vids. And the krypt system, unlocking system which a lot of people have complained about is so dumb. It's literally like I2 but in some ways worse, for example we can't even buy most of the outfits, cosmetics, weapons, hats etc we have to unlock them in the krypt. Ok, if it was done like MK 9, 3D MKs or MK X where there was a specific location for these things/and or the option to buy everything for 20-30 bucks, I'd drop it to save time but they force us to grind for shit we don't even want, it's all random which is lame. And the option we do have to purchase stuff goes up for what several hours at a time or a day at most limited to 7 things only, 5 cosmetics(outfits, clothes, cosmetic gear) and 2 finishers that are completely random.

NRS needs to fix all of that, they need to make MK great again like mk 9! The problem with being too successful sometimes is you get greedy knowing your fans will buy the game then pulling this shit on them. Also, been playing MK since MK 1 back when I was a kid, always supported MK, Midway, NRS etc but seriously they need to address everything I mentioned as I may not speak for everyone but I know damn well a lot of MK fans agree too.
MAKE MK GREAT AGAIN!

Prateek Shekhar

LeggoMyEggo
Kollector needs his dash cancel pressure back. Be better devs and learn to fix the infinite without killing the character's pressure game.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
I need a hand written letter from NRS explaining why they thought it was a good idea to take away Raiden’s shock attack and sub zero’s ice Klone. Like I get it you guys wanted to change things but come on.
I can give you their official answer for the Ice clone:

"We wanted to take MK11 to a different place. We wanted to focus on footsies, spacing and whiff punishing. Unfortunately, a coward like Sub-Zero hiding behind his clone negates any kind of footsie game and imbues shitty players with the perception that they are actually good without having good fundamentals"
Word for word no lie :DOGE

Before I post my complaints, let me start by saying that I am enjoying the core gameplay, which is the most important aspect of the game. Everything below is secondary. So far, I think it's a solid 8/10 game, and there will be much fun to be had with it.

All of my complaints:
-Tower of Time and Krypt - Enough has been said about this. Unforgivably time-consuming to complete everything.

-Having to be online to enjoy the single player content. I honestly have no idea what they were thinking; this is a horrible design choice and the first time I've actually come across something like it. If this was just 4-5 years back, I literally wouldn't even be able to play this game because I wouldn't have had the money to have a decent online connection. Those days are behind me, but this is just bad, especially considering there's a Switch version of the game, in which the main novelty is playing on the go. How can you play on the go when everything relies on online play?

-Revenant skins being the default. Another bad design choice. Why wouldn't you put the main human designs as AT LEAST separate variations at the start? Seeing so much gray on the character select screen is an aesthetic eye sore.

-I'm not a fan of the interface and title screen. A nitpick, but I remember when you started up MK9. The first thing you saw was Scorpion vs Sub-Zero on the title screen, and when you clicked start, BOOM, Scorpion uppercuts him in the face, and you can proceed to whatever mode you wanted to play. In MK11, everything looks so lazily designed, like the front of a web page.

-Not a fan of the character designs. I don't like the photorealistic style. The original MK titles had humans motion-captured for the characters, but the props and costumes gave the games a very American comic book-esque aesthetic. MK9 followed that art style, which I loved. The characters in MK11 just look ugly to me, like they want them to look more like the Mortal Kombat Legacy counterparts. Give me back the comic book style, please.

-Why is Kitana Chinese? I have no issues with her actual design--she's actually one of the better-looking characters. However, it's jarring when you have the character look Hispanic or middle eastern for so many games, and then, out of nowhere, she's... Chinese. Imagine the reactions if Jax turned out to be a white guy, with no explanation given.

-Why is Shao Kahn just a brute? Shao Kahn is supposed to be one of the most powerful and feared characters in the entire franchise, but his presence in the story here was underwhelming. He just came across as a guy who's only strong because he's big--even his voice sounds like that of a mindless brute compared to MK9. To put it in perspective, when he gave Sindel Shang Tsung's souls in MK9, she single-handedly killed almost every Earthrealm warrior at once, including Kitana. You have to assume Shao Kahn has absorbed millions of souls throughout his conquest, considering he's able to readily grant Shang Tsung youth as well, making him far stronger than this Sindel. When he invaded Earthrealm, he effortlessly shoved Sonya and Cage to the side with magic. So how the fizzity-uck does Kitana effortlessly beat him in MK11? Where are all his magical abilities in the cutscenes? He's just some mindless guy with a giant hammer. When a story is centered around fighting, I hate inconsistencies in power scaling so badly. It's poor writing at its core. This is worse than Stryker beating Kintaro and Ermac in MK9.

-Kronika sucks. Aside from not looking imposing in the slightest, there's just no rhyme or reason with this character. She wants to start a new age just because she's butthurt Raiden changed the timeline. But why? Clearly she knows Shao Kahn causes Armageddon in the original timeline, right? Is she also being manipulated by the One Being? Her boring presence and (lack of) goals made the story uninteresting. Also, introducing time travel when this was already done in MK9 is just silly, imo. I feel Kronika should have actually been a SUPPORTING character, while Dark Raiden should have been the main villain. There, it would have made sense for her to stop him, especially if he went on a rampage, killing the Elder Gods. In fact, when I saw the trailers, I figured Dark Raiden would play a pivotal role in the story, but he's killed off at the very f'ing beginning.

-Why do in-game battles influence the cutscenes so much, anyways? My final Story Mode gripe. When you beat a character in-game, they're immediately shown KO'd on the floor in the following cutscene. Why does this need to be the case? We could have the conclusion of the battles shown in cutscenes. This would help with power scaling.

Last edited:

HAMMER

Noob
Before I post my complaints, let me start by saying that I am enjoying the core gameplay, which is the most important aspect of the game. Everything below is secondary. So far, I think it's a solid 8/10 game, and there will be much fun to be had with it.

All of my complaints:
-Tower of Time and Krypt - Enough has been said about this.

-Having to be online to enjoy the single player content. I honestly have no idea what they were thinking; this is a horrible design choice and the first time I've actually come across something like it. If this was just 4-5 years back, I literally wouldn't even be able to play this game because I wouldn't have had the money to have a decent online connection. Those days are behind me, but this is just bad, especially considering there's a Switch version of the game, in which the main novelty is playing on the go. How can you play on the go when everything relies on online play?

-Revenant skins being the default. Another bad design choice. Why wouldn't you put the main human designs as AT LEAST separate variations at the start? Seeing so much gray on the character select screen is an aesthetic eye sore.

-I'm not a fan of the interface and title screen. A nitpick, but I remember when you started up MK9. The first thing you saw was Scorpion vs Sub-Zero on the title screen, and when you clicked start, BOOM, Scorpion uppercuts him in the face, and you can proceed to whatever mode you wanted to play. In MK11, everything looks so lazily designed, like the front of a web page.

-Not a fan of the character designs. I don't like the photorealistic style. The original MK titles had humans motion-captured for the characters, but the props and costumes gave the games a very American comic book-esque aesthetic. MK9 followed that art style, which I loved. The characters in MK11 just look ugly to me, like they want them to look more like the Mortal Kombat Legacy counterparts. Give me back the comic book style, please.

-Why is Kitana Chinese? I have no issues with her actual design--she's actually one of the better-looking characters. However, it's jarring when you have the character look Hispanic or middle eastern for so many games, and then, out of nowhere, she's... Chinese. Imagine the reactions if Jax turned out to be a white guy, with no explanation given.

-Why is Shao Kahn just a brute? Shao Kahn is supposed to be one of the most powerful and feared characters in the entire franchise, but his presence in the story here was underwhelming. He just came across as a guy who's only strong because he's big--even his voice sounds like that of a mindless brute compared to MK9. To put it in perspective, when he gave Sindel Shang Tsung's souls in MK9, she single-handedly killed almost every Earthrealm warrior at once, including Kitana. You have to assume Shao Kahn has absorbed millions of souls throughout his conquest, considering he's able to readily grant Shang Tsung youth as well, making him far stronger than this Sindel. When he invaded Earthrealm, he effortlessly shoved Sonya and Cage to the side with magic. So how the fizzity-uck does Kitana effortlessly beat him in MK11? Where are all his magical abilities in the cutscenes? He's just some mindless guy with a giant hammer. When a story is centered around fighting, I hate inconsistencies in power scaling so badly. It's poor writing at its core. This is worse than Stryker beating Kintaro and Ermac in MK9.

-Kronika sucks. Aside from not looking imposing in the slightest, there's just no rhyme or reason with this character. She wants to start a new age just because she's butthurt Raiden changed the timeline. But why? Clearly she knows Shao Kahn causes Armageddon in the original timeline, right? Is she also being manipulated by the One Being? Her boring presence and (lack of) goals made the story uninteresting. Also, introducing time travel when this was already done in MK9 is just silly, imo. I feel Kronika should have actually been a SUPPORTING character, while Dark Raiden should have been the main villain. There, it would have made sense for her to stop him, especially if he went on a rampage, killing the Elder Gods. In fact, when I saw the trailers, I figured Dark Raiden would have a major presence, but he's killed off at the very f'ing beginning.

-Why do in-game battles influence the cutscenes so much, anyways? My final Story Mode gripe. When you beat a character in-game, they're immediately shown KO'd on the floor in the following cutscene. Why does this need to be the case? We could have the conclusion of the battles shown in cutscenes. This would help with power scaling.
How do you look Hispanic?

Hispanic simply means coming from a Spanish speaking country.

There are Asian Hispanics, black Hispanics and white Hispanics.

Sorry, had to nitpick that part.

While on the subject. It's odd that people find trolling with Tanya/Jade an appealing thing.

Ed Boon said before that he modeled Tanya and Jade after his sisters. Ed Boon is white. Tanya and Jade are both white. They are either Iranian (Middle Eastern-ish) or Indian. I saw someone on GameFAQs call Ed Boon "racially" Puerto Rican. Even though it's a country. He's clearly a white man. Skin color has nothing to do with race anyway, even though blacks tend to be darker than Asians/whites most of the time. Indians can have darker skin than blacks, but they are Caucasian/white. Same with Asians from the Philippines; but, they're still Asian. Race is more about D.N.A. than a "look."

I believe the aborigines from Australia have a closer D.N.A. index to Asians than blacks; even though their phenotype may appear black.

I hate when people get this racial shit confused!

I agree with your complaints though and solidly wrote.

inb4 someone flames me for bringing up race and human identity. :DOGE

On topic; I haven't really played the game a lot. I am guessing 10-12 hours total now. But, I'm already tired of those fatal blows since they come every round. And yes, I get him by them by the CPU, and?
:DOGE

Last edited:

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
The more I play MK11, the more I despise the wakeup system's obnoxiously specific timing, especially with input delay online. With varying levels of knockdown times for different types of moves (regular knockdowns, grabs, hard knockdowns) and different pings for input delays against different players, this becomes that much more difficult to time properly as it's constantly changing. The only one that works consistently for me is, unsurprisingly, staying on the ground which is just holding L2 right as you hit the ground. Meanwhile rolls, U2s, and U3s are a roll of the dice as to whether they'll come out, or if my character will simply jump as they get up or take a step then stance swap.

I know it's my own fault and that I need to be more patient + precise, but holy shit it makes me want to scream when I see a Johnny/Jacqui/Liu/whoever clearly throwing out an attack to pressure me further while I'm on the ground but Jade decides to jump in the air and kick instead of doing U3 wakeup.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
+LeAntMan Nothing was worse than Stryker beating Ermac or Jacqui, both of them should have been broken in half by Ermac but you know NRS loves to jobber him.