What's new

The Odd History And Uncertain Future Of Chinatown Fair, NYC's Last Great Arcade

dreemernj

Ambassador
tfa said:
At around nearly the same time every year, rumors start to crop up that Chinatown Fair, the last beloved vestige of New York City’s video arcade golden age, will soon be facing its final days. It happened again last week when tweets and blog posts reignited talk of the legendary arcade’s imminent foreclosure. As expected, the mood was heavy when we payed a visit to the legendary spot over the holiday weekend.
Read More

I will reply to this.
I have gone to Chinatown Fair to pay it's final respects today. It was very depressing knowing that the one arcade in NYC that brought gamers from the country and possibly around the world to exchange skills in fighting games is going to disperse and dissapear. As much as I couldn't believe it, the emptiness of the once overcrowded arcade has convinced me that I have seen enough to know it was serious. CF was definitely the place where you were bound to become better at competitive play whether it was fighting games or the occasional DDR/ PUMP games.The way I felt is that you walk in a noob, and come out the Six Million Dollar Man (if you know the famous lines, that's what I mean). The point is whether you had the skill to take the world on or get brutally owned by anyone at the game you were good at, you were there for the time of your life and the moments were never dull.
Chinatown Fair was place where a group friends became teams, where gamers became famous, where you kept your friends close and enemies even closer, and it was the place where whatever killed you made you stronger. I learned it all from experience.
The games that got me respect or even noticed was Soul Calibur II, King of Fighters '94 - 2000, Capcom vs SNK 2, Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution (Time of my LIFE!!), and Tekkens 4, 5(DR), 6(BR).
Shock, and Dreemer... I looked at CF also as my one and only shot of ever meeting you guys in person, and I am certain that of all the chances I missed, I can only give hope for the new location, but it would've been better to have met at Mott St. for, it was more than just a safe haven.

Thank You Chinatown Fair...For Everything!
TheRagingStorm /Excelsior (VF4Evo tag)