What's new

The Need Help Choosing Main/Secondary Character Discussion Thread

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
Kitana, Kung Lao, Raiden, maybe Shinnok, Lui Kang, and Mileena. Kitana, and Lui don't have teleports really but they can fly across the screen fast. mileena is great but is punishable if moves are missed. Shinnok's teleport may not be in all variations. I can't remember.

JLG

Noob
Play Jacqui. It really sounds like you like her the most, and the cons you listed shouldn't stop you from embracing her. On the flip side, wait for Jason as a secondary. Lots of people will play him in the beginning because he's the first DLC, but that'll change really fast when Predator shows up.

Zatoichi

Fabulous Goofball
Either Raiden or Goro, both are just hype to watch. But you SHOULD main Sonya since she's basically the Lex of this game. :DOGE

Seriously, Covert Ops Sonya is hype.

Zatoichi

Fabulous Goofball
Honestly I really like how Sonya plays in this game. The only reason I'm not playing her is because I hate Sonya more than anyone else as a character lol
Really? I actually kinda like her in this game, she's a grizzled badass like Sarah Conner and Ripley.

Zatoichi

Fabulous Goofball
Sounds like Covert Ops Sonya, Jax, or Bojutsu Kung Jin are your characters.

Covert Ops Sonya and do between 28% - 36% meterless midscreen, and around 44% mid screen with her EX Garrote Counter. She also have a fast overhead and low combo starter.

Kung Kung also has decent meterless midscreen damage with both overhead and lows.

im experimenting with jax, and either sub zero was insanely easy to combo, or this is insane.

3b2, f211,11,f21,gotcha

hafl the time i cant get 3b2,f211 to 2 work, other half the time havent gotten the 11 to line up...have yet to get past that in 2 hours lol.

stamatis

Όσα δε φτάνει η αλεπού. ........
First learn the game,then pick a tier,the main will choose you and not the opossite.take your time.

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
First learn the game,then pick a tier,the main will choose you and not the opossite.take your time.
The rest of your line doesn't go with that bit. I too believe in letting a character choose me rather than forcing myself to play any character. But that character may not belong to the tier you prefer. In any case many people,like me, don't even consider tier when choosing the main.

@Absinthesize - I suggest you have a good look at Liu Kang. He is as aggressive as they come in MKX, although he doesn't have a teleport. He has insane rushdown game, mixups, a 5 or 6 frame jab, great damage on Flame Fist variation, and even some frame traps.

There's also Kung Lao with most of the same things, and he even has a teleport. But he is a harder character to play and has relatively low damage output.

Edit: dunno what the hell happened with the color.

Jay Rupp

Human Smoke or Riot
So I'm having a legit issue figuring out who I want to stick with. I'm literally torn 33/33/33 between these characters, but I only want to main one because that's how I like to play. I considered flipping coins or something but then I realized I'd be like "no wait" and keep reflipping and changing my mind.

These are the three I'm interested in. I made a pro-con list for each of them help pls:

Jacqui -
Pros -
- strong character
- full auto could get me easier wins at early tournaments
- i care for her and don’t like seeing her fatalitied so i’m more motivated to win
- me and @GuamoKun can do irl intros together
- hype xray
- i could keep my promise on who i’m maining for once
- braindead 50/50 games
- she says “aww damn”

Cons -
- she has a huge bandwagon of bitches who don’t even like her
- i don’t want to play full auto right now because everyone else is
- shotgun is really hard to use online
- i’m somewhat struggling with her fundamentally
- new york already has a solid jacqui player (cdjr)

Raiden -
Pros -
- trap game
- seems pretty strong but not too OP
- hype AF xray
- YEAH! (see hype AF xray)
- lots of potential development across variations. could have lots of fun in long run
- i like electic based shit
- future raiden

Cons -
- looks very unsafe
- seems like a lot of work i’m already behind in
- 50/50 game looks super risky for a game where that’s strong (haven’t played enough with him, am i wrong?)
- generally unwitty

Goro -
Pros -
- i feel like he fits me comfortably
- i like what i see in his potential
- character is relatively unpopular and i like playing unpopular characters
- i can get props for winning with him
- punchwalk

Cons -
- is evil
- i really don’t care for the character
- considered not very strong so far
- no costumes (so far)

If more than like 2 people vote in this poll I'll play whoever wins for at least a month and see how I feel
I noticed that the cons you had wrote down for Goro had nothing to do with his gameplay. He obviously fits you the best. If you're on Xbox live add me, I could use the MU xp. Gt: Jay Rupp

bettyswallaux

XBOXLive: BettySwallaux
@rev0lver let's wait it out to find a matchup like lex vs zod again first then decide, no offense but seeing your very soul be tortured in that fight was so funny lol

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
I would have voted for Raiden because Master of Storms, but he's not making up that gap. So I voted Goro to spite Jacqui, instead. Jacqui is the anti-hype of this entire game, in every way.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
I voted Goro for obvious reasons but seeing you lay out Lightning traps with MoS Raiden like those good ol' Lex set-ups of yore would be hype too.

Raiden is very safe in thunder God variation. But if you only want to try him out for orbs in MOS, then yeah stay away. It's his weakest variation I'd say

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Cybernetic Kano, Flame Fist Liu Kang, Royal Storm Kitana, Full auto Jacqui, Summoner Quan Chi all come to mind. They're all pretty lame respectively so pick who you like the most.
This is pretty much a perfect list for what you have indicated are your priorities, Mr. NKZero.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
@DaiHuu

I've been hearing that Necromancer Shinnok isn't that good? I liked his move set but I've heard stuff about poor recovery and things on block etc.
I'll put it this way: I originally intended to main Kotal Kahn (my brute of choice) and Necromancer Shinnok (my zoner of choice). Since initially unlocking Shinnok and messing around with him for a couple of days, I have decided to forgo my desire to zone and go full Kotal (I want to master all three variations), while also patiently awaiting Jason's arrival to the MK universe :). Suffice it to say, I left my sessions with Necromancer Shinnok thoroughly uninspired. I personally think it's WAY too early to write definitively about a character's ultimate competitive viability, but I just found Necromancer to be an extremely awkward zoner. I don't see how he will ever compete with the zoning competence of Quan Chi (who is probably the best zoner in the game), Cybernetic Kano, Royal Storms Kitana, or full-auto Jacqui.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
I say play who appeals to you the most. A lot of people in the community have made mention to enjoying the game much more by doing so. That also seems to lead to putting in more effort and therefore proud of your work and play. But then again choosing the "best" char on your list may apply when you have the capability to win tourney's. That's the only real dilemma I see.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Jacqui. As much as I think Goro would be interesting I just feel you could really make Jacqui work for you and would resonate with her the best. Plus just because there is a CDjr playing her doesn't mean you can't as well. Its not like everyone who plays a character plays them the same in this game. Especially with variations.

So I'm having a legit issue figuring out who I want to stick with. I'm literally torn 33/33/33 between these characters, but I only want to main one because that's how I like to play. I considered flipping coins or something but then I realized I'd be like "no wait" and keep reflipping and changing my mind.

These are the three I'm interested in. I made a pro-con list for each of them help pls:

Jacqui -
Pros -
- strong character
- full auto could get me easier wins at early tournaments
- i care for her and don’t like seeing her fatalitied so i’m more motivated to win
- me and @GuamoKun can do irl intros together
- hype xray
- i could keep my promise on who i’m maining for once
- braindead 50/50 games
- she says “aww damn”

Cons -
- she has a huge bandwagon of bitches who don’t even like her
- i don’t want to play full auto right now because everyone else is
- shotgun is really hard to use online
- i’m somewhat struggling with her fundamentally
- new york already has a solid jacqui player (cdjr)

Raiden -
Pros -
- trap game
- seems pretty strong but not too OP
- hype AF xray
- YEAH! (see hype AF xray)
- lots of potential development across variations. could have lots of fun in long run
- i like electic based shit
- future raiden

Cons -
- looks very unsafe
- seems like a lot of work i’m already behind in
- 50/50 game looks super risky for a game where that’s strong (haven’t played enough with him, am i wrong?)
- generally unwitty

Goro -
Pros -
- i feel like he fits me comfortably
- i like what i see in his potential
- character is relatively unpopular and i like playing unpopular characters
- i can get props for winning with him
- punchwalk

Cons -
- is evil
- i really don’t care for the character
- considered not very strong so far
- no costumes (so far)

If more than like 2 people vote in this poll I'll play whoever wins for at least a month and see how I feel
I voted for GORO, just bully people with GORO, he is a good character and people will definitely get salty when you keep stomping on them