What's new

The Liu Kang Mix up Thread

XBlades

To Achieve, You must Believe
Mix that Shyt up!

Hey guys, thought I make a thread about mixing combo strings and other elements into your Liu Kang game play. Since everyone knows you are going to hit low for the launcher, lets talk about other strings we can use to confuse your opponents blocking habits.
In Example:
b+2,b+3 is a downward punch hit into the abs (high), followed by a low kick to the shin(low).
This move makes your opponent stagger. Only way to stop the stagger animation is to block. This move is really solid, as it can be buffered out by a special move such as low fireball (low) or standing fireball (high). The special cancel is really good when your opponent successfully blocks the combo string (b+2,b+3). As it can hit them while they release block or stay in block motion and both characters are at even animation.
If they do get hit by the combo string, and your opponent is in stagger- to block animation; you can follow up with your b+312 launcher, throw, or f+3 for an overhead if you think they will block low. Or maybe go back to the same mix up b+2,b+3. whichever suits you best.
Another good mixup starter is your f+3 (medium)
This move allows Liu Kang to advance a little further to your opponent and does an overhead kick. This move is somewhat quick and has a small window of frame advantage. So if the opponent is hit by the overhead, you can follow up with your b+312, a throw, or another overhead to continue the mind games. If the opponent is in block state, notice the opponent is pushed back due to the power of the kick. You can quickly follow up using this small window of frame advantage by hitting him with b+1 into low or high fireball. If this is done into the corner and is hit by the back fist into standing fireball you can juggle him with b+312.

Alright guys, this is my somewhat of a mix up guide. Hopefully this helps. I would like to hear more mix ups by other liu kang players!

CrashLand

Ready for Freddy
everyone knows you are going to hit low for the launcher
Not 100% true... some folks you gotta teach the hard way ;)

What do you do after a throw? Liu throws them pretty far away and sometimes I have trouble moving in again.

Oh and don't forget :bp:fp:fk, another launcher. Savy players will block low on the first hit of a string and high for the rest to cover both :l:fk:fp:bp and :bp:fp:fk, but it's still a good move.

I think...? that :bp:fp can cancel to low fireball, which seems like it would be useful, but I haven't tried it yet.

ecksyz

speed force.
:r:fk has become my best friend. one of the biggest problems that some liu players will run into is the opponent who will only block low, which is smart to some degree since they can probably react to his :bp:fp:fk string and block the overhead. but the great thing about using :r:fk is that, not only is it tough to react to, but it creates its own little mindgame. if it connects you have the opportunity to do whatever you want, and if you know your opponent well enough you can really destroy them after connecting with this once. most people i've run into are just so afraid of the :l:fk:fp:bp that they'll wind up eating up to three overheads in a row. usually after the second or third one that connects they'll either be blocking high, which will give you the opening you need, or they'll try to jump out/retaliate somehow. then you can check them with :fp:bp.

i've never tried :l:bp:l:fk. i'm gonna try to mix them in, see how they work.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
I tend to do the overhead kick after a jip to mix people up who block low after a jip to avoid the juggle.

I think...? that :bp:fp can cancel to low fireball, which seems like it would be useful, but I haven't tried it yet.
THIS. its actually a pretty good strategy and can be easily incorporated into your gameplay. it works well against ppl who tend to low block after a jip to avoid the low juggle, but when they see the start of the 213 juggle they stand up, which you can use to ur advantage by mixing it up with 21 bf3.

also people tend to overlook the reach of the b+321 combo. its deceivingly fast and has a better reach. so try to mix it from a bit far with the f+3/b+321 mixups, and the best part is that if they try to punish you (or try to jump back) thinking the first attack (b+3) will whiff, then they get caught in the following 21 part of the b+321 combo and you can followup too.

XBlades

@Thefluke
First hit does not whiff on crouch block using f+1,2.... it will whiff on regular 12 and 213 combo strings....

as for the 21 low fireball.... cant garuantee they will block high, if they don't they can uppercut. It is a good mix up though. Another one that is pretty fast recovery is the b+31 instead of finish it off with 2...

Solo

Shadow Priest
I use f+1,2 a lot. I'll either mix it up with f+3, b+3,1,2, grab, or 2,1,3. Works great online. Is this move good offline?

XBlades

This move is good offline though some characters can pecker you with down 1, I normally backdash into dragon stance and dash cancel forward into b+312 or f+3. Dragon stance fake outs is another fake out tool. Especially if your opponent is trying to block the next anticipated attack.
I wish I had a capture card so I can explain my theories of the dragon stance mix up. Also the sweep is allot further than the regular sweep and his over head can hit quite far in DS.

This move is good offline though some characters can pecker you with down 1, I normally backdash into dragon stance and dash cancel forward into b+312 or f+3. Dragon stance fake outs is another fake out tool. Especially if your opponent is trying to block the next anticipated attack.
I wish I had a capture card so I can explain my theories of the dragon stance mix up. Also the sweep is allot further than the regular sweep and his over head can hit quite far in DS.
True...but don u think tht the overhead from DS takes like forever to recover when blocked. i think he can walk up to me and punish my ass :(

R00KI30FTH3Y3AR

(S)teel (V)alley (K)ombat
I've found that whenever opponents start stuffing my attempts to close space whenever they whiff a special or try to jump away with the F+1,2 String that you simply start with the zoning aspect of things by using a few fireballs to shake them up. Usually, they will try to get you caught up in the overhead jump punch set up. From there, don't hesitate to use your counter move to your hearts content. Rinse and repeat accordingly as they try to jump away. This can be especially good for zoners like Noob or Stryker because you effectively start to out-zone them at their own game to the point where they try to use their projectiles too much, which leaves you with a perfect opportunity to jump over the first few, F+1,2 and mix-up of your choice from there.

XBlades

Zoning theory / Getting in that Ass

When you get zoned by characters such as Noob, Reptile, Ermac, Sektor, Sub-zero, and etc... best thing to do is be annoying with low fireball and IAF... these are tools given to Liu to at least hold his own against zoning characters and annoy them with there own game. At least this is what I think. Most of the time Noob, will always stay back and therefore getting in that ass is pretty hard. So I make use of his Ex Armor moves patched awhile ago. This is really helpful now, since you can go through zone characters wake up shenanigans like for example, Sub-zero wake up ice clone, Noob up shadow kick, Reptile Ball or wake up dash, and other projectile like characters..Getting down these players habits and patterns will lead to openings to attacks, using these ex armor moves such as Flying kick (13%) or Bicycle kick (19%).

Yes, Most zone characters will likely jump over you regardless of your technicality and will try to jump away resetting the match. Key note is they will always hit you! So you can parry or EX parry for launch into Dragon stance launch and do combo strings from there!

Also while in Dragon stance you can cancel by special moves , and dashes

In Example:
Dragon Stance f,f or Dragon Stance ~ Parry or EX parry

Solo

Shadow Priest
I don't use DS much. Sometimes when they're in corner I'll use DS-3(I think it's the overhead flip). They usually expect the b3,2,1.

I get punish a lot because I use parry on wake up a lot. I wish it started up a little faster.

XBlades

Using regular combos such as 1,1,2 into low fireball is really nice space for the opponent to vet off you for a short while.