What's new

The LGBT Thread

They introduce themselves as gay because what if one day they introduce their boyfriend to you?

That would shock you, I know it would, because Gay is not the norm in today's world, it is getting there. Once people accept each others sexuality, then there would be no need to introduce yourself as gay, unless otherwise asked. Instead, they can introduce their boyfriend to you without a inch of astonishment.

They say that because 1, they want to be straightforward right off the start, and 2, they have every right to be proud of who they are.
no, it wouldnt shock me. this has happened to me. im sortof a dick in general, but im an accepting person.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
so if someone is homophobic it's better that they know to avoid gays from the beginning, right? NO, i would say it is absolutely important that people know each other as people first. If im a homophobe and i dont know you're gay, but we become good friends i would be more inclined to think well of gay people after finding out (assuming im rational) than if i never experience a genial gay person because they introduce themselves as gay and chase me away.

Yes, that's very problematic. The movement is likely aware that the west is still very racist (though we like to tell ourselves that we're not) and conservative, and that if they start from the most radical point of calling for equality for half black, half asian, half native transsexual/transgender (i've never remembered which was which) pan-multisexuals they'll get nothing because the response will be something like <insert deep south accent> "uuuuhhhh, what? are you some sort of communist?"
I agree, that would be kind of weird. I have never once in my life heard somebody introduce themselve as, " Hi, my name is ********** and I'm straight." So why does that guy have to do that? It just doesn't seem necessary, no offense to anybody of course

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I agree, that would be kind of weird. I have never once in my life heard somebody introduce themselve as, " Hi, my name is ********** and I'm straight." So why does that guy have to do that? It just doesn't seem necessary, no offense to anybody of course
Well that's because we live in a heterosexist world, and unless there's a bit of clear flamboyancy it's generally assumed that everyone you meet is straight until they say otherwise.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
If there is such a thing as a gaydar to tell if someone is gay. Is there such a thing as a straight radar, a straidar perhaps?

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
i like to assume that people are human beings until they say otherwise. beyond that there's no good reason to make such assumptions
As people should, but sometimes it's good to get that out of the way early with people if they might have issues with gays, or (something that happens to gays often) with people of the opposite sex who would potentially have feelings for them. Otherwise, it can create awkwardness when they find out. Thankfully, I go to a school where no one gives a shit what you are, but not all places are like that.

Most people assume that I'm heterosexual and it can get super awkward when they find out otherwise. I will sometimes try to reference "my boyfriend" but honestly, it can get a little nerve wracking. If you are meeting people for the first time or at a new job, for example. It can be weird.

This month I am going to a family wedding where I am bringing my boyfriend. This will be the first time my family is meeting him, and it will also be the first time that a lot of family friends will find out/figure out that I'm gay. My family hasn't done much in terms of telling others that they have a gay family member. I've been out quite a while, so it's overdue, in my opinion. But either way, I'm glad this event is forcing the issue.
Wow, best of luck to you.

i like to assume that people are human beings until they say otherwise. beyond that there's no good reason to make such assumptions
Of course people shouldn't make such assumptions. But they do. It's not even something that's done consciously most of the time - they've never been taught to do it any differently.

Hemlock

Noob
This month I am going to a family wedding where I am bringing my boyfriend. This will be the first time my family is meeting him, and it will also be the first time that a lot of family friends will find out/figure out that I'm gay. My family hasn't done much in terms of telling others that they have a gay family member. I've been out quite a while, so it's overdue, in my opinion. But either way, I'm glad this event is forcing the issue.
I'm back and happy to report it went super duper well! The total *tears of joy* moment was when my mom and boyfriend were dancing together at the reception. They were really cute together!

I came out to a few friends, but most of the time was spent on the dance floor. My bf and I danced for a few songs, so everyone who saw us could probably have figured it out. Well, we made it and are still alive. Small steps of progress, one day at a time...

Espio

Kokomo
Tomorrow (October 11th) is National Coming Out Day

http://www.hrc.org/resources/entry/national-coming-out-day/

I'm going to post something on Facebook and my website talking about being gay. I'm out to all my friends and family, but there are a lot of acquaintances, or old elementary school friends who don't know. I don't really talk about it at all online, so this will be a good step for me.

I didn't know there was an actual day for this, darn :(. That's cool though :).

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
This is the first thread (or, heck, perhaps the first gathering) of people who are in support of the LGBT community and there are NO arguments present against it.

Threads like this give me faith in humanity.

Thats because there isnt a legitimate argument against it
... That's not quite true. what is true is that there isnt a legitimate argument that OUGHT TO BE MADE against it. I think there are plenty of reasons that being GLBT would be bad, but they're just disrespectful to people and are never received well (therefore never achieve any purpose).

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
... That's not quite true. what is true is that there isnt a legitimate argument that OUGHT TO BE MADE against it. I think there are plenty of reasons that being GLBT would be bad, but they're just disrespectful to people and are never received well (therefore never achieve any purpose).
There could also be plenty of reasons why being straight could be bad, the point is that LGBT are human beings and deserve to be treated as such.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
Exactly. GLBT clearly makes more sense than LGBT :p