What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Jax The Jax Match-Up Thread

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I'm on vacation and bored out of my mind, so I figured I could go ahead and get a conversation started on Jax's matchups.

I only play Pumped Up currently, but so far the only character I've had a ton of trouble against is Mileena. I feel like Jax is a very solid character that's able to handle most of the cast pretty well.

How about you all? Who do you feel are Jax's best and worst matchups and why?

Northern Slasher

Heads or Tails X
I as well struggle with Mileena. A good match up in our favour is against Quan Chi. I feel like that's 6-4 Jax for very obvious reasons.

I also like the match up against Jacqui simply because we can D1D2 under her gunshots.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
mils is easy as hell lmao just block. shes bottom 5 thats one of his easier matchups. his hard matches are more like sub
My 2 main issues are dealing with her mixups and her being able to full-combo punish everything Jax can do in Pumped Up with her 8-frame roll. If you're saying "just block", then you need to play @Pig Of The Hut or @Mr. Mileena.

As far as Sub goes, Pumped Up does a pretty good job against him. All variation can beat all of Sub's wakeups with b3-MB.db1. The db1 will whiff on wakeup armored slide, but it will leave Jax somewhere between +8 and +10. Clone doesn't help against ground pounds, and slide is full-combo punishable.

Undeadjim

Green Lantern Corps.
My 2 main issues are dealing with her mixups and her being able to full-combo punish everything Jax can do in Pumped Up with her 8-frame roll.
What are you doing with Jax that lets her punish with an 8 frame roll? Jax is safe on pretty much everything.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
What are you doing with Jax that lets her punish with an 8 frame roll? Jax is safe on pretty much everything.
Eh? Dash Punch is safe on block, but punished on whiff...and that's it. In Pumped Up, that's his only safe options, other than f212 which is -5 and only leads to 18% midscreen damage. Everything else, including Gotcha Grab, is punished by her 8-frame roll.

there so much I dont know lol I play as jax but I really dont know how use it to the fullest and I have zero combos with him and I cant pull them off but I can win with jax which is great :) mybe one night we can scrim play few matches see whats up if Im doing what Im suppose to I just play and whatever works I use it i got 300 matches with jax and 80 or so online and not doing bad but I deff dont know everything I should plus I use heavy weapons and need start useing the other variation sorry about talking so much just thinking out loud and wanna be apart of the community as much I can :)

Undeadjim

Green Lantern Corps.
Eh? Dash Punch is safe on block, but punished on whiff...and that's it. In Pumped Up, that's his only safe options, other than f212 which is -5 and only leads to 18% midscreen damage. Everything else, including Gotcha Grab, is punished by her 8-frame roll.
By everything else the only thing I can see as punishable is Gotcha which is a 1 frame punish and you have to be point blank for her to get it. She punishes our 232 string (which has enough holes anyway) before the last hit with regular roll.

And you should not really be doing gotcha on block in pumped up anyway so I don't see where any punishes come from. The ball does however let her eat through our pressure with a no meter reversal however this is still mad unsafe.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
By everything else the only thing I can see as punishable is Gotcha which is a 1 frame punish and you have to be point blank for her to get it. She punishes our 232 string (which has enough holes anyway) before the last hit with regular roll.

And you should not really be doing gotcha on block in pumped up anyway so I don't see where any punishes come from. The ball does however let her eat through our pressure with a no meter reversal however this is still mad unsafe.
I'll have to mess with her reversals in practice mode then; I could have sworn her ball punished a whiffed gotcha, at least after a block string. And yeah, her ball is crazy unsafe, but if it hits midscreen, she does more damage than Jax can punish her for, putting the risk/reward in her favor.

Undeadjim

Green Lantern Corps.
I'll have to mess with her reversals in practice mode then; I could have sworn her ball punished a whiffed gotcha, at least after a block string. And yeah, her ball is crazy unsafe, but if it hits midscreen, she does more damage than Jax can punish her for, putting the risk/reward in her favor.
Whiffed Gotcha she will punish, however you have to neutral duck to get gotcha to whiff but pumped up gotcha should be not thrown on block unless your against someone with horrible normals/reversal.

Her damage is nuts but Jax's midscreen is a comfortable 37% from a 6 frame punish and up to 44%+ from f21 if you push them all the way to the corner. His stuff is just nasty to confirm.

I think Mileena is going to lose this matchup.
Don't want to give a definite number, as I am actually venturing off into Ravenous soon. I think Ravenous will be better against Rushdown heavy characters. But anyway, If you're in the corner vs jax have fun

I feel this match is hard for kitana, I played a top jax on a FT5 we ended 5-1 me using assassin vs pumped up, then 5-4 me using royal storm he using pumped up, thad damn uppercut on crossover that hits behind him is so anoying, I wish they fix the hitbox, the match up close is hell on earth for kitana, she only wins the zoning war as royal storm, id say pumped up vs assassin 7/3 and pumped up vs royal storm 6/4

The Slaj Jazz

TIckle my sweet salty nips
The only characters I really have trouble with is Sub Zero ( Grand Master), Quan Chi. I think he goes pretty even overall with the cast, atleast with what I can think of right now

I dunno why but i struggle against a good tigrar Goro or even goro in general that mb punchwalk just kills any of my neutral strings and since jax has sooooooo many gaps in his strings im restricted to 11, 123, b121 and f21- 123 beeing my only mixup options. A good goro just mb punchwalk through the gaps and especially when im doing f21 , 11 ,b121 neutrals. Pumped up helps alot but tigrar is very strong in terms of zoning i had to switch to quan chi to get something going :(.

The only characters I really have trouble with is Sub Zero ( Grand Master), Quan Chi. I think he goes pretty even overall with the cast, atleast with what I can think of right now
Heavy weapons against Grand master since u will not be able to utilize the energy wave, the machine gun helps alot breaking the clone. I tend to just reversal machine gun whenever i see a ice clone cancel from midscreen since the ice ball does no chip and u can back jump or njp the ice clone throw subzero most get in and close combat is Jax's speciality.

Quan cheese - this one is really though with hes unmatched zoning its tough to get in but once ur there KEEP the pressure on don't give him any space cuz Quan cheese has NO wakeup 11 will always beat hes teleport even when he blocks ur +1 and Quans normals aren't that great.
Except for warlock he can't do shit against the f21 , 11 , b121 pressure cuz jax d1 beats nearly all of his options.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Please explain to me how Jax is unsafe.
I don't think he's quite as safe as a lot of people make him out to be. His f21 loses to low attacks even though it's a mid, his Dash Punch is destroyed on whiff, his Overhead Dash Punch is -16, his ground pound and air ground pound both have immense recovery, energy wave is vulnerable to any teleport or low attack, etc. So yeah, he's "safe" to an extent, but not to the extent that a lot of players are claiming.

Undeadjim

Green Lantern Corps.
I don't think he's quite as safe as a lot of people make him out to be. His f21 loses to low attacks even though it's a mid, his Dash Punch is destroyed on whiff, his Overhead Dash Punch is -16, his ground pound and air ground pound both have immense recovery, energy wave is vulnerable to any teleport or low attack, etc. So yeah, he's "safe" to an extent, but not to the extent that a lot of players are claiming.
F21 advancing in from the neutral is fantastic and I don't think I have been beaten regularly enough to call it 'unsafe' far reaching pokes give it problems but honestly if they didn't the move would be dumb. Dash punch should be destroyed on whiff but that doesn't make the move unsafe just means you can't whiff the move, I understand it happens I do it but it doesn't make the move unsafe. And the overhead version should be a complete read on block and as so should be unsafe. The character has safe 50/50's on block anyway with his overhead and low. The ground pounds are utility moves, they can be unsafe but only when used incorrectly just like a whiffed dash punch.

The character itself can be played to varying levels of safety, he allows himself to be unsafe to capitalize on reads. However thank you for providing merit to your post unlike Omooba.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
F21 advancing in from the neutral is fantastic and I don't think I have been beaten regularly enough to call it 'unsafe' far reaching pokes give it problems but honestly if they didn't the move would be dumb. Dash punch should be destroyed on whiff but that doesn't make the move unsafe just means you can't whiff the move, I understand it happens I do it but it doesn't make the move unsafe. And the overhead version should be a complete read on block and as so should be unsafe. The character has safe 50/50's on block anyway with his overhead and low. The ground pounds are utility moves, they can be unsafe but only when used incorrectly just like a whiffed dash punch.

The character itself can be played to varying levels of safety, he allows himself to be unsafe to capitalize on reads. However thank you for providing merit to your post unlike Omooba.
I'm not talking about advancing pokes, I'm talking about just any low-profile attack. Record an opponent spamming d4 and try to get in with f21; it will get beating out more often than not. Same with slides, rolls, etc. If you get them to block it then yeah, it's safe, but it's very susceptible to any low-profile attack.

Undeadjim

Green Lantern Corps.
I'm not talking about advancing pokes, I'm talking about just any low-profile attack. Record an opponent spamming d4 and try to get in with f21; it will get beating out more often than not. Same with slides, rolls, etc. If you get them to block it then yeah, it's safe, but it's very susceptible to any low-profile attack.
I know, I was just detailing how useful the move is in the neutral though. We have good tools for whiff punishing in the knees though, F3 is fantastic at whiff punishing pokes. I know where you're coming from with the low pokes however I don't believe it effects his game enough to be considered unsafe.

enaktom

Noob
U am jax main. I agree that jax is not totally safe with his gaps in his strings and his only linker in mid screen being 100 percent punishable makes it harder for jax to just take a match with high damage combos. Jax is forced to do corner carries and dominate in 50 50 combos. That's why I think they made jax the way he is with safew pokes, because without that he would be destroyed.