What's new

Video The infamous command throws....Still Whiffing

ando1184

Noob
Title says it all, it still happens and it drives me crazy because it always leads to a full combo punish :(. Anyway, enjoy guys.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Don't know if I'd call it the command grab whiffing issue, it's just how meaties are. You're not hitting them with the normal until the last active frame or last few active frames which means the blockstun triggers later, technically making the move more plus on block which in turn increases its block cancel advantage preventing it from ticking like it usually would. Tick throws usually work with moves that have a small amount of block cancel advantage, by hitting them with meatier normals you increase that block cancel advantage.

Edit: What Paulo said lol

ando1184

Noob
it was blocked meaty (later in the active frames) after the wakeup therefor they were still in blockstun when the throw hit the active frame.
But is there a way this can be remedied? I mean the opponent commits to blocking, so shouldn't it function as it does on a regular tic setup? It kind of kills the oki attempt, I mean the opponent can still armor wakeup and backdash so this isn't shutting down their options. But to condition your opponent to respect you post knockdown and then have this happen is a real issue in my eyes. :(

Edit: Thanks for explaining what's actually happening though. :)

Last edited:

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Well a cool thing, actually, is that certain moves that don't normally tick can do so when done meaty.

So play around with it. Consider your options.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Wow. This T surely got whiffed hard. Let's all share Paulo's Dream of Whiffs!