What's new

Combo List - Ferra/Torr The FerraTory - Laboratory of Combos [XL Update Pending]

Devin Thorn

chimp damage
That's a pretty weak response. I'm a new player and new Ferra player. Is it really that simple just blocking the Sparks when he's plus on block if he meter burns? Then I try to dash in after I do block the Sparks and he shoulder rushes for knock downand proceeds to stagger hell sparks with his trance, all while building meter with chip damage as well. I'll give you the teleport however I should have said he only got me with that a couple times and that was one of the few things I was able to punish. Block and punish" is a really unhelpful to someone just getting into fighting games good sir.

What I was saying is that if he always does sparks, then teleport, you block both and punish after the teleport. I'm sorry you didn't like that response... Perhaps you should go into practice mode, figure out a better way to handle it, and enlighten the rest of us?

The basic answer to everything in this game is to block what's coming at you and then punish what's punishable. If he's plus on block, then keep blocking whatever comes next and wait for your opportunity. If you have a better idea, I'd love to hear it.

Devin Thorn

chimp damage
Wasn't trying to start anything, and you're right, that's what training mode is for. I guess what I was hoping for was maybe something you would personally do. Also if you read my post you would have seen that I said his teleport was the one thing I did punish well. Training mode is nice but it's also nice having someone who know from experience giving you pointers, and most people are happy to give more detailed responses usually. Sorry for wasting your time lol

Well, I responded the way I did because I thought you were describing a repeated pattern that he was doing the same three moves in the same order, so I gave you a strategy to beat that pattern.

How would I handle it? That depends a little bit on what I think he's doing. If he's just throwing out YOLO special moves with no rhyme or reason, I'll try to predict which one is coming when and be ready to block/punish or set up the whiff/punish.

If I think he's actually reacting to me and using the moves purposefully, then I'll try to bait them. For example, in the situation you described above, if I've blocked the fireballs and tried to dash in and his reaction was to stuff me with the charge, then the next time, I'll block the fireballs and try either taking a step forward and blocking immediately or doing a quick run and canceling it to block as fast as I can. If I'm right at the edge of the charge range, I'll probably take a step forward into the range and then quickly step back out of it again. In all three of those scenarios, I'm setting him up. He knows that I want to get in after blocking the sparks, and the last time I tried, he was able to counter it with the charge. So when he sees me start to move forward, he's going to charge. I've just tricked him into doing exactly what I want him to do and when I switch to block or step back out of range, it's too late for him to change strategy. His charge is either going to get blocked or it's going to whiff and I can punish him for it.

That's the basic idea of how to handle people who seem to know what they're doing. You want to make them do what you want them to and take advantage of the opportunity when they do. By baiting the other guy into doing what I want, I'm forcing him to play my game instead of letting him play his. This is the kind of thing people are talking about when they discuss footsies or neutral game. This can be a super deep and complex topic, so I've really just summarized a lot here.

Disclaimer: I haven't seen any Shinnocks lately, so I'm assuming the charge is punishable here because most specials in the game are. If it's not, the example won't work in the game, but it still gets the underlying ideas across.

One more note about the YOLO guys - almost all of them are SUPER predictable. They will tend to always do the same thing in the same situation. If you knock them down, they'll almost always wake up with the same move. Get them at range? They'll always handle that the same way. All you have to do is figure out which move this guy likes to do when and you own him.

No matter who you're playing, this game isn't about "how do I get an opportunity to bust out my high damage combo?" Or "how do I beat such and such move?", it's about "how do I know out what my opponent is going to to before he does?" If you successfully answer that question, you are in complete control of the match.

Watch some high level play and really look for this stuff - you'll see they're constantly baiting each other, learning their opponent's patterns, and making reads based on that. If you watch thinking the game is about getting your combo out, all you'll see is massive rushdown, big combos, and tough mix-ups. It's a lot deeper and more complex than it looks to the casual eye.

chrisofrays

Fish can hear you thinkin just before you sneeze
wait you guys were punishing Shinnok's air teleport to neutral jump punch/kick?
For kenshi and shinook I find it easy to jump back punch on reaction. You can also boss toss when you land. Auto correct NJK also works

MadeFromMetal

Heart From Iron, Mind From Steel.
Can anyone hit f2, jp, roll, d1~backbreaker with any consistency? I tried it probably 100 times last night and got the d1 off the roll maybe 3 times. is there a trick?

MK Led

Umbasa
Can anyone hit f2, jp, roll, d1~backbreaker with any consistency? I tried it probably 100 times last night and got the d1 off the roll maybe 3 times. is there a trick?
That doesn't sound like something I'd want to hit... Does it do more damage that f2, njp, f2, d1~backbreaker? because I can't see a reason to not do that instead if it doesn't.

Edit: f2, f3, f2, d1~backbreaker does 1% more than that ^ which also is way easier.

MadeFromMetal

Heart From Iron, Mind From Steel.
Yo Bawkz's njp gives the extra 1% to the combo you were trying. Still way harder than just not roll, d1. The real question is just how of a value do you place on your swag? :rolleyes:
swag is priceless...wait....worthless! Swag is worthless. I'll just stick with f2, f3, f2, d1~back breaker.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Yo Bawkz's njp gives the extra 1% to the combo you were trying. Still way harder than just not roll, d1. The real question is just how of a value do you place on your swag? :rolleyes:
Meter gain, and can be done off of any conversion or starter. It's a good skill to learn, unless you're some kind of casual who can't get the timing down.

In which case baby's first combo is good for you. That or picking another character

Red King

One ugly motherfucker!
Hey guys, not sure if this is already known or if you're all too busy playing Lackey to care but Vicious can get 29% in the corner off the overhead: b2,3,2+4, NJ,punch, JI,kick, 4 xx Boss Toss (29%) or optionally b2,3,2+4, NJ,punch, JI,kick, b212 xx Boss Toss (29%) for more swag - couldn't see any overhead corner starters in your notations.