What's new

The buck stops here NRS community

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
Yes sir! The 5-5 show will be returning as soon as all 3 of us have the time to record an episode! work schedules and families and stuff between 3 adult men can make planning a show out quite a long process lol.

I wish I could be part of a podcast. :(

Vagrant

Noob
Fighting games should be partly about skill and partly being rewarded for guessing right.

There it is. There it is right there!

The brain saying, this is what fighting games should be, and if it's not then this isn't right.

But again, it's not wrong or right! It's just different! Everyone please throw out your notions of what fighting games are supposed to be and just play them for what they are. There is no law or rule that says hey this has to play like this and this is how the system has to work. Instead look at the product you are playing with no expectations and enjoy the game for what it is.

You ever wonder why, when you were a kid everything was so much fun? Because you didn't have the expectation you've ingrained into your brain over the years. If your goal is to truly enjoy these NRS games, all you simply need to do is play them and enjoy yourself without expectation or comparison. And the matured human brain is very uncomfortable doing that so it's very hard for people to do.

RM Truth

are you sure you want that burden?

it is much easier just posting from here at my desk/couch/chair/sofa/comfortable

It's just another step on my path to true Hollywood. In all srsness though, a podcast sounds like fun, and though my knowledge might not be as much as you guys, I wouldn't mind being a part of it.

RM Truth

The brain saying, this is what fighting games should be, and if it's not then this isn't right.

But again, it's not wrong or right! It's just different! Everyone please throw out your notions of what fighting games are supposed to be and just play them for what they are. There is no law or rule that says hey this has to play like this and this is how the system has to work. Instead look at the product you are playing with no expectations and enjoy the game for what it is.

You ever wonder why, when you were a kid everything was so much fun? Because you didn't have the expectation you've ingrained into your brain over the years. If your goal is to truly enjoy these NRS games, all you simply need to do is play them and enjoy yourself without expectation or comparison. And the matured human brain is very uncomfortable doing that so it's very hard for people to do.

I agree with this wholeheartedly, but there are just some times, when the game you are playing just isn't fun. I also feel that there are standard fighting game conventions that most fighting games should at least try to follow.

Very well said.

The funny thing is, lately the people hating on IGAU say things like "When's MK10?"....

Ironically, when MK10 gets here, you can be sure it's not going to be 100% like its predecessor, and people are going to make many of the same complaints when adapting to the new game. And they may be pointing to IGAU as well as MK9 for things that "should have happened" in MK10.

If you were around at launch of MK9, you should remember the same complaints happening back then too. After years of playing a game you get rose colored glasses and forget how things were at the beginning.

Happens in all games not just NRS games, refer to MvC3, SF4, SF3, and so on.... Same exact thing happened.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
Kenshi, Sonya, Cage, Kitana etc don't have tons of safe things? Most of their important tools are safe on block and sometimes advantage on block.

Superman's Forward 2,3 is more comparable to Cage's Forward 3 pressure, which is safe and sometimes had random advantage.

I don't understand why down 4, military stance is considered to be such a huge deal...I barely played Sonya wand was doing her military stance stuff when I played.

Kenshi's super plus 8 frame spirit charge that also had armor. Sonya's ex cartwheel that was minus three that launched into reset and follow up pressure. Does

Sometimes if you blocked Kitana's forward 2,1 she could beat out your poke cause she'd be at advantage or only minus one.

For zoning, Cyborg's zoning would be more comparable to Kabal's zoning than superman's zoning tools.
True characters had dumb stuff in mk too, But there were better ways around them as well. Or at least it seemed that way, I played Sheeva which most people pretty much considered a terrible character but I could outplay opponents using my tools and strategies to get around them. Taking advantage of things like armor, ground stomps fireballs, low grab set up's ect. In this game fast characters can knock you out of armor, some characters don't have projectiles or and most don't have teleports. There were no traits for free combo escapes like aquaman, no free jump ins for batman, no free chip damage for Black Adam, ect. The new patch has helped a fair bit, I'm just bitching about how I know the game played for the last few months. I don't even completely know how balanced the new patch is yet at this point. So far it seems better though.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Lol don't be so hard on yourself man, We're all just human. I do so much dumb shit all the time and I think it's hilarious. I love the total derp moments the human brain has and I cherish them.
well, the great thing is that I can laugh off my idiocy. Most of the time everyone else is alreayd laughing so i don't feel alone

:)

I think my ultimate problem is that there are just some MU's right now that are not even close to fun to learn or play.

NY_Jailhouse

Grundy v Cyborg is just the dumbest MU in the entire game. He can literally use 2 moves and win. Never has to change.
I think that is the frustrating part. I'm forced to learn someone else so I can compete. So success isn't always "instant"

and man do we live in a society now where if it doesn't happen instantly, might as well pitch it.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
well, the great thing is that I can laugh off my idiocy. Most of the time everyone else is alreayd laughing so i don't feel alone

:)

I think my ultimate problem is that there are just some MU's right now that are not even close to fun to learn or play.

NY_Jailhouse

Grundy v Cyborg is just the dumbest MU in the entire game. He can literally use 2 moves and win. Never has to change.
I think that is the frustrating part. I'm forced to learn someone else so I can compete. So success isn't always "instant"

and man do we live in a society now where if it doesn't happen instantly, might as well pitch it.

I read the first line, got bored and pitched it.

GGA Saucy Jack

The artist formerly known as ImNewbieSauce
vagrant are u chaosphere and newbie sauce planning on doing anymore 5-5 podcasts?
We actually had a talk about another episode quite recently, and should be doing it soon.

We would have recorded last week, but Vagrant was kuh-balls deep in an episode of The Real HouseHusbands of Northern Illinois, and couldnt be bothered. Not to mention Chaosphere was continuing his google wide search to find EVERY picture of Miley Cyrus and taylor swift together, so he can photoshop himself into the pictures for an art exhibit he calls "Menage Collage"

But don't worry. New episode soon.

People with a background in basically any other fighting game (including me) are going to find this counter-intuitive and need to break years worth of core habits. But that's how this works, and jump attacks aren't nearly as strong when they don't lead to anything afterward.

Honestly, AA/jump attacks aren't the biggest difference from other games (unless you are ONLY talking about MK9).

If you played any other fighting games (again minus MK9) the biggest adaptation is how the combo inputs are frontloaded rather than links.

I can only speak personally, but after playing games like Marvel, P4A, SFxT, and SF post MK9 and prior to IGAU, that took far longer to re-adapt to than AA/jump attacks. By the time your adjusted to the combo inputs, you should be well adujsted to the way jumping works in this game as well.

Besides, jumping isn't very different from Marvel in IGAU anyway. IGAU is honestly one of the easier games to pick up if you are adept in other fighting games.

IMO the problem is players sometimes feel so invested in the fact that they spent months-years learning an older game, they become anxious that it won't be worth the time to learn a new game, hence it's easier to just say the game sucks, rather than put in work to learn the mechanics and matchups and get to a point where you are actually enjoying the game. You see it all the time not just in fighting games but other genres too (examples: LoL players and Dota 2, CoD/Halo players and all other FPS's)

Vagrant

Noob
We would have recorded last week, but Vagrant was kuh-balls deep in an episode of The Real HouseHusbands of Northern Illinois, and couldnt be bothered. Not to mention Chaosphere was continuing his google wide search to find EVERY picture of Miley Cyrus and taylor swift together, so he can photoshop himself into the pictures for an art exhibit he calls "Menage Collage"

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag

Lol but my brain wants a game where everyone has to make choices and those choices have consequences, you would have thought NRS would have learned from MK9 a bit to not have things like this in the game but they seemed to make more thing safe, less thinking more pushing buttons. Maybe that was their demographic.

Every good game I can think of that has been around for ages has luck, skill,risk and reward, Dungeons and dragons/poker/monopoly/blackjack/chess. I guess I just don't think it's right when I feel like I'm playing chess and someone else is playing hungry hungry hippos.

RM Truth

Lol but my brain wants a game where everyone has to make choices and those choices have consequences, you would have thought NRS would have learned from MK9 a bit to not have things like this in the game but they seemed to make more thing safe, less thinking more pushing buttons. Maybe that was their demographic.

Every good game I can think of that has been around for ages has luck, skill,risk and reward, Dungeons and dragons/poker/monopoly/blackjack/chess. I guess I just don't think it's right when I feel like I'm playing chess and someone else is playing hungry hungry hippos.

Watch it sir. Hungry Hungry Hippos takes a lot of skill to play.

True Grave

Giving The Gift Of Graves
If anything learning something new that you want to learn, should be fun in itself. Granted its not MK, but play the game the way its played. If the game consists of zoning, then zone, don't cry. I may not be the best or even a top player at IGAU, but I strive and learn.